Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating water for milk powder

Options
  • 22-01-2021 1:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll have 25 calves to rear on milk powder from mid-Feb on and I'm wondering what's the best way to heat water to feed them. I'll be feeding them twice a day so approx. 60 litres of water needed in the morning and another 60 litres in the evening.

There's 2 options from what I can see:

(1) Immersion tank with a timer on the plug so 40C water will be waiting when I get to the shed

(2) Electric shower that takes a few min to fill the buckets

Any major pros or cons with these options for heating 60 litres of water twice a day?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a tank with immersion and runs on a timer. It’s handy and hasn’t given any trouble in 12 years.

I do wonder if I were doing it again that I wouldn’t install some of the instant hot water taps on the market, I’ve looked at the briefly and some have regulation for temperature so instant water at correct temperature would be handy.

Shower idea I hadn’t thought of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

_Brian wrote: »
    We have a tank with immersion and runs on a timer. It’s handy and hasn’t given any trouble in 12 years.

I do wonder if I were doing it again that I wouldn’t install some of the instant hot water taps on the market, I’ve looked at the briefly and some have regulation for temperature so instant water at correct temperature would be handy.

Shower idea I hadn’t thought of.

I hadn't thought of those. Just did a quick Google and found this website that compares different ones: https://www.realhomes.com/buying-guides/the-best-boiling-water-taps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/kerbl-easy-heat-bucket-and-churn-milk-heater?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7P-Igc6v7gIVl-7tCh2lfQ1kEAQYAiABEgJ1-fD_BwE

Get yourself one of these, put it in a 200l barrel of water half full and put a plug timer on it so it'll be heated for you when you come out in the morning and when you come home in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

I hadn't thought of those. Just did a quick Google and found this website that compares different ones: https://www.realhomes.com/buying-guides/the-best-boiling-water-taps
    While the hot water taps are a great job in a house you won’t rear calves with them. They have a small tank for water that is kept heated to 100 degrees. Depending on the manufacturer the tanks are only between 3 and 7 litres. Even with the 7 litre tank at 100 degrees and mix cold water with it to reduce to 40 degrees you’ll only end up with about 16 to 18 litres. It would be fine for someone going to rear 5 or 6 calves but wouldn’t be able for anything more than that.

Plus to buy and install them taps is anywhere in the region of €1,000 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I used an Atlantic water heater . plumbed in , loads of water to feed and wash up after

https://www.farmanddairyspares.ie/product/atlantic-water-heater/

something along this line. Turn it one and leave it on till your last calf is weaned.

no association with the above company, I bought mine in heat merchants at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/kerbl-easy-heat-bucket-and-churn-milk-heater?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7P-Igc6v7gIVl-7tCh2lfQ1kEAQYAiABEgJ1-fD_BwE

Get yourself one of these, put it in a 200l barrel of water half full and put a plug timer on it so it'll be heated for you when you come out in the morning and when you come home in the evening

Did that here, put water in the mixer and the heater on a timer and twud have it warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I'm looking at a cc solar water heater. 300 litre tank that fills the tubes with water and the sun will heat it from 40 degrees to 65 on summer. Has an element in it for heating. Put a timer on it to heat the water overnight. Grant aided too so you can get 40% back. Might be too big for your amount of calves but I think it will be the cheapest system long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The shower option wouldn't be the best option, I tried it here and found it slow.
    I use 2 kettles to heat water to feed 50 calves each year. Works fine for me and I still have the same 2 kettles for the last few years. Just a cheap way to get in and get going.

DBK1 wrote: »
    While the hot water taps are a great job in a house you won’t rear calves with them. They have a small tank for water that is kept heated to 100 degrees. Depending on the manufacturer the tanks are only between 3 and 7 litres. Even with the 7 litre tank at 100 degrees and mix cold water with it to reduce to 40 degrees you’ll only end up with about 16 to 18 litres. It would be fine for someone going to rear 5 or 6 calves but wouldn’t be able for anything more than that.

Plus to buy and install them taps is anywhere in the region of €1,000 upwards.

Are they not instant heaters. ?

€1000 to buy and install a tap ??
    They can be bought for €100 amd less and have standard 3 pin plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I have a gas water heater for heating the water for my few calves. Its a great job for small amounts. Heats 10 litres a minute but you would need a bigger one. My only problem with it is the very cold water coming from the mains it was taking ages to heat the water

• Advertisement

davidk1394 wrote: »
    The shower option wouldn't be the best option, I tried it here and found it slow.
    I use 2 kettles to heat water to feed 50 calves each year. Works fine for me and I still have the same 2 kettles for the last few years. Just a cheap way to get in and get going.

I used a kettle last year but thought I better get more organised this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We use one of these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/8034416230

It's easy on the gas and provide warm water. If you're rushing the water through then the temp does tend to dip, but we can feed 12 fine with it.
    Also used as a washing station - so nice to have warm water to wash with out in the shed!

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did that here, put water in the mixer and the heater on a timer and twud have it warm.

Not too expensive and has a plug rather than being wired in place. It’s probably ahead of the other options at the moment.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When we were rearing calves we put a kettle element in a ten gallon drum on a timer that had boiling water at feeding time, it doesn't take much boiling water to warm water to calf temperature

wrangler wrote: »
    When we were rearing calves we put a kettle element in a ten gallon drum on a timer that had boiling water at feeding time, it doesn't take much boiling water to warm water to calf temperature

You have me thinking now!!!

Our water heater is a recycled deep well pump tank. Welded in an adaptor for an immersion element. Wrapped up in a lagging jacket.

Are they not instant heaters. ?

€1000 to buy and install a tap ??
    They can be bought for €100 amd less and have standard 3 pin plug.
    Not any of the kitchen type ones that are in the review page posted by Siamsa. If you open the link posted the prices are listed and they range from £550 to £1,050 sterling.

I’ve a cousin a kitchen maker and the Quooker, which is supposed to be the bees knees, start at €1,600 for the most basic version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We rear a good few bought in calves every year. The oil fired range is always on in the house and it heats the water and radiators. Years ago my brother changed the copper cylinder for a bigger one and put a tap from it outside the house. We draw the hot water from the tap into 80/120lt plastic drums and bring it to the shed where it gets mixed with cold water in the milk trolley to the correct temperature to mix the cmr.

It's a bit labour intensive drawing the water from the house but I don't have to worry about the additional cost per litre of heating the water. I transfer that saving into buying a higher volume of skim powder in our CMR (50%+) which means the calves are getting the best feed that they can get other than off a cow.

Base price wrote: »
    We rear a few calves every year. The oil fired range is always on in the house and it heats the water and radiators. Years ago my brother changed the copper cylinder for a bigger one and put a tap from it outside the house. We draw the hot water from the tap into 80/120lt plastic drums and bring it to the shed where it gets mixed with cold water in the milk trolley to the correct temperature to mix the cmr.

It's a bit labour intensive drawing the water from the house but I don't have to worry about the additional cost per litre of heating the water. I transfer that saving into buying a higher volume of skim in our CMR (50%+) which means the calves are getting the best feed that they can get other than off a cow.
    Same as that, just use the hot water from the cylinder here as well. Fire is always lit so the waters always hot.

Not any of the kitchen type ones that are in the review page posted by Siamsa. If you open the link posted the prices are listed and they range from £550 to £1,050 sterling.

I’ve a cousin a kitchen maker and the Quooker, which is supposed to be the bees knees, start at €1,600 for the most basic version.

we bought one in the Ploughing for about €100, it's pathetic, slow and just about warm, it's in the sheep shed for washing hands

• Advertisement

Pudin,220V Electric Instant Heater Tap,Supply Hot and Cold Water,Stainless Hot Water Kitchen Tap with LED Digital Display for Home Facilities(British Plug)(Silver) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XCS4MQT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_A89cGbN4VXMJ7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Plenty available under €100

Pudin,220V Electric Instant Heater Tap,Supply Hot and Cold Water,Stainless Hot Water Kitchen Tap with LED Digital Display for Home Facilities(British Plug)(Silver) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XCS4MQT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_A89cGbN4VXMJ7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one we have, wouldn't do five litre in 5mins if you wanted it reasonably hot. It'd do 5litres/min cold water but the only way to heat the water properly is slow down the flow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

My water heater let me down this morning. Mains water was so cold it struggled to get it to 30 degrees .didnt know what to do. My house is 2 miles away. Got the gas torch out and put it on a brass fitting on water pipe. Worked a treat. Goin to have to sort something or just use the gas torch every time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭emaherx

Got one like that here for the kitchen and it's not great. Like Wrangler says it will only heat the water adequately with a slow flow.

emaherx wrote: »
    Got one like that here for the kitchen and it's not great. Like Wrangler says it will only heat the water adequately with a slow flow.

That’s good to know.

emaherx wrote: »
    I suppose in fairness you couldn’t expect much more than that for the money. When you compare them to even an electric shower,which would cost around €250 and is only designed to heat water to about 45 degrees, it would be hard to expect such a small unit to give instant boiling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭emaherx

I suppose in fairness you couldn’t expect much more than that for the money. When you compare them to even an electric shower,which would cost around €250 and is only designed to heat water to about 45 degrees, it would be hard to expect such a small unit to give instant boiling water.

Wasn't expecting instant boiling water. 45 degrees would be nice though. Was advertised as instant 60 degrees, which will only happen at a dribble. It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for, but you'd still expect to get near what was advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What about a burco boiler on a timer ? Could that work ?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What about a burco boiler on a timer ? Could that work ?

I priced them too. A 30 litre version is over €200.

Most options seem to be from €200-300, so I need to figure out which are best suited to what I need now.

I looked at kettles too like Wrangler said above. They all seem to be cordless now so it’d be very hard to connect the heating element into a bucket or drum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

I rear about 25 calves every spring. I use a good old burco boiler on a timer. It heats 20 litres to boiling and i then mix with cold water to get the right temp for mixing milk replacer. I think it cost about 100 euro a good few years ago.

Advertisement