Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion thread: reply to the RSA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Des32 wrote: »
    As far as having to go to the motor tax office with your test pass certificate there is no need to do this untill your tax renewal.

Haven't been near a motor tax office since I VRT'd my camper. I pay my motortax online (about the only public service that works well) ...that probably won't work with the DOE cert, or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Where to go! In the UK they have it well sorted.
    Motor caravans are subject to the same MOT test as cars (class 4), passenger vehicles with up to 8 seats and the fee is the same GBP54.85.
    HOWEVER, if the local MOT station (our equivalent, NCT centre) is physically unable to accommodate a motor caravan then the owner can take it a VOSA testing centre (our equivalent, DoE or VTN centre in new money). The motor caravan is given the class 4 test at the VOSA test centre AND also only charged the rate for the class 4 test.

COULD THE ANSWER BE SIMPLER, sorry for shouting.

peasant wrote: »
    Haven't been near a motor tax office since I VRT'd my camper. I pay my motortax online (about the only public service that works well) ...that probably won't work with the DOE cert, or does it?
    NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I can't see that taxing our 'vans on-line will be a problem.
    Last year my car needed its first NCT.
    I taxed it on-line as usual and there was no question as to whether or not it had been NCT'd.

I taxed my 'van at the motor tax office, as I wanted to pay cash, and was not asked about a test cert. of any sort.

But you do need a DOE cert to tax a commercial vehicle ...and looking at how well thought out this whole thing is I'd be willing to place a bet that you will need your DOE cert to tax your motorcaravan in the future. :D

• Advertisement

Perhaps Des32 can tell us if he can tax his minibuses on line ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You can't tax a commercial on line

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

I cannot tax a bus online as I have to show the test certificate in the motor tax office. The same applies for my taxis I have to show the NCT certificate.

Thanks to Slidey and Des32.

peasant, I think this is a facility we need to ask the RSA for, along with the windscreen disc.
    To have go to the motor tax office, take a number then sit down and wait is a real pain in the proverbial.

Regarding NCT & Road Tax,
    Plans are afoot to link the NCT database to the Road Tax database. When this is done you will not be able to tax online if there is no valid NCT registered against the car, and probably not at the tax office either.
    Watch this space if the Croke Park Agreement is carried and our civil servants have to divi up new ways of working and extra productivity.

• Advertisement

peasant, I think this is a facility we need to ask the RSA for, along with the windscreen disc.
    To have go to the motor tax office, take a number then sit down and wait is a real pain in the proverbial.

As I've said before ...do try and keep up at the back :D:D:D

it's already in the letter
    Furthermore, the NCT issues a certificate and a disc for the window. The DOE does no such thing. There you get a statement which then has to be converted into a certificate at the local tax office. We would request that this be changed to the DOE test center issuing the valid certificate and disc in the first place to save additional cost and time and to enable us to continue using the motortax online system.

You must have slipped that in when I wasn't looking. (so to speak)

The first draft of the letter in word is online now. Please check the letter thread

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bo.jangles

Looks great . When do we start sending .:D

P.S. PEASANT
    A VERY BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE.

bo.jangles wrote: »
    Looks great . When do we start sending .:D

I thought we might leave it for a few days, see if anyting else needs adding.

But if you want to send it now, feel free. All I'd ask is that everybody sign it (possibly with the reg number of their camper as well) so that the RSA knows that we are for real.

The letter should just copy&paste into an e-mail, work as an attachment or even fit into an envelope :D

Once we've decided that we're ready to send, I'll post a separate thread where everybody who is sending it can leave a note to that regard (a poll maybe?) so that we get an idea of how many of those letters have gone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Peasant,

Firstly, thank you (and others who contributed) for compiling this letter. Every camper van owner owes you thanks, whether they know it yet or not!

The letter looks good but the only concern I have is that it is not being sent by a group, but rather by each individual. This means the RSA cannot consult with anybody directly on the contents. If it was sent by a group, we could provide a contact point where they could get in touch for any clarification required. I realise there is no formal group here and I don't see people queuing up to be contact points, but would you (or anybody else) be prepared to send a master letter for the group with at least an email contact? Of course everybody else can sent their own copies also.

In my experience with submissions, if a body can consult easily, they will (mainly because they can add a list of consulted bodies as an appendix which makes their work look more inclusive). If they can't clarify a point easily, and don't understand it, they may just ignore it.

Thoughts?

Niall

Niall_G wrote: »

The letter looks good but the only concern I have is that it is not being sent by a group, but rather by each individual. This means the RSA cannot consult with anybody directly on the contents. If it was sent by a group, we could provide a contact point where they could get in touch for any clarification required. I realise there is no formal group here and I don't see people queuing up to be contact points, but would you (or anybody else) be prepared to send a master letter for the group with at least an email contact? Of course everybody else can sent their own copies also.

It was my intention, as moderator of this forum, to send my personal letter with an invitation to the RSA to either participate on the forum if they so wished or to contact me personally with any replies/questions they may have in relation to our letter so that I could pass them on to the forum.

EDIT
    When I first contacted the RSA, asking to be included in the consultation process, I also did so as the moderator of this forum and I made them aware of who we are and that we wanted to discuss this publicly.

As I did receive the consultation e-mail after that, I presume that they are willing to engage with us or at least not opposed to us discussing this as a group (of individuals). Hopefully they will continue to engage with us once the letters are sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

peasant wrote: »
    It was my intention, as moderator of this forum, to send my personal letter with an invitation to the RSA to either participate on the forum if they so wished or to contact me personally with any replies/questions they may have in relation to our letter so that I could pass them on to the forum.

Think that's the way to proceed Peasant, thanks for all your work.

Still I think it is important that as many motorhome owners as possible send this letter indivually as well.

The more the RSA get bombarded with the same message, the higher the likelyhood that they will take us seriously, engage with us and possibly even enact some of our requests.

"I agree with deadlOck on option2, one letter sent collectively and the same letter sent from each of us as individuals. One letter with lots of names gets read only once, lots of letters with one name all have to be read, even if they say the same thing, and have to be acknowledged."

The above is a posting that I put up on 07/04/10 on the now locked down NEW DOE thread.

• Advertisement

UPDATE
    User wonderworm was so kind as to go through the letter and suggest a somewhat more elegant style for some of my more brutal formulatations.
    I'll work those suggestions off over the next day(s) or so and post a final version of the letter [2] when I'm done ..so you might want to hold off on sending what's there

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

hey peasant have sent you an updated version if there's anything else i can do just shout cheers

Thanks a lot for your help,I'll work on this tomorrow / Sat and will post the finished result then.

(and for those that might worry about being excluded from the further development of the letter ...don't ...nothing has changed in the contents or the message, it will just sound a bit more polished)

Now that the letter is finished, I'd like to once again thank everybody who has helped in putting this together, hopefully it will have some effect and some of our proposed changes will actually come to be.

Hi peasant,
    Just downloaded the letter and it looks good except no glazing pictures.

That's strange ...both downloads (in the letter thread and in the "make your voice heard thread) do show the pictures for me

Anyone else having problems?

Or do you mean actual glazing pictures ..the ones that forum members took?

I didn't put those in because they are large files, difficult to attach and they basically all show the same ...the wave symbol or the e symbol as mentioned and shown in the final letter.

Anyway, just in case you didn't get the picture that's supposed to be in the letter, its here: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38469/110345.jpg ,so you could copy it in yourself

I meant the ones that are in the oroginal draft letter.
    They appear o.k. in that but not in the final version 2.
    For me, they don't appear in the posted letter or the download letter.

Ok, post #4 in the "our letter" thread now has the finished letter with pictures in the post, so you should be able to copy&paste that .
    Alternatively it has the letter in MS Word attached (again) with pictures that works both on my comuter (with MS Word) and my wife's (with Open Office)

Hope that sorts that.

Thank you peasant, that works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Hi Guys, been missing for a while. Boards locked my account and only got it unlocked this week.

Where do we stand on this now? I just renewed my tax online with no mention of DOE/NCT

Are we supposed to get them DOE'd now? or did the RSA make any effort to sort things?

Advertisement