Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

Options
  • 28-06-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

What a band!! 4 top class musicians and 1 fantastic vocalist. Their music is a breed apart. Should be as big as the bands who influenced them Metallica and Rush.

Any opinions out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

They're an incredible band alright. F*cking amazing musicians with tons of great songs. Jordan is proabably my favourite member, that guy is a legend :D

Also a fan of James' vocals,think he's brilliant, I know some people aren't mad about his voice though

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Jordan would be my favourite of the keyboard gang down through the years. Bit of a showman too with the revolving keyboards on stage. Great to watch during a solo.

Mike is an outstanding drummer, but my personal favourite in the band is John Petrucci; a brilliant technical guitarist. Can't leave out the "silent man" on bass either Mr Myung.

Too many outstanding songs to pick a favourite from but I must say the title track off Octavarium is a masterpiece. Brings me out in goosebumps every time - jaw dropping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yeah...petruccis setup is amazing...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMYeXkYcgs&feature=related
    And man can he shred...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvreuzwZGI&feature=related
    :D:D
    Seriously though,great band!!Love em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What a band. Was just watching the Mike Portnoy Honor Thy Father drum video:eek: He's, eh, good, to put it mildly:D

Brilliant in London last year, never experienced anything like it in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

They're class musicians, but some of their songs are really, really gay :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

One of my favourite bands - love them to bits.. Go to see them on pretty much every tour, but last years Dark Side Of The Moon really blew me away, absolutely amazing!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have "Images and Words" and "Falling into infinity", both have some good tracks. Love the intro for "Take the Time" :)

I've heard good things about "Train of Thought", is it up to much?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 maximumleo

My all time favourite band. Been a Fan since ToT, and managed to see them twice on the Systematic Chaos tour, in Newcastle, and again in Manchester.

If anybody was there in Newcastle, and spotted 3 guys waiving an Irish flag, that would've myself in the middle ;)

I was right at the barrier in Manchester in front of Petrucci. He literally melted my face with his goodness :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Been trying to get in to these for AGES. Can anyone give me a good lead-in album to buy?

Watched a drum tutorial vid about Mike, amazing drummer. Technically sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 maximumleo

Depends on what you usually listen to. If you are a fan of good old metal stuff, go for Train of Thought or Systematic Chaos, if you will concept albums then Scenes from a memory, or Six Degrees seems to be the best of both.

Images and words is very progressive, probably my fav album tbh, but may not be everybody's cup of tea. Awake is a good starter, its gota bit of happy, bit of heavy, and a bit of crazy.

Why not just opt for the compilation, as far as I know that should be out and available in most places, "Greatest Hit (...and 21 other pretty cool songs)".

Have a listen and come back to here to revel in their greatness.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well if Karl Hungus manages to stop by, he'll probably say " i told you all ages ago " because he did, a long time ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

The bass player does 'flight of the bumblebee', if you think thats cool you need a kick in the boll1x.

I would never doubt their technical skill- but that seems to be all they have.

Strangely, they're absolutely massive in Greece. They played a big sports arena in Athens- there was a limit on the number of performances the stadium could stage (as is the case with most grounds that have a football pitch to look after)- they were given preference over a number of bands for the last spot- including U2!

Dream theatre are one of the few bands where the old cliché 'big in japan' is very true.

Although I'm not their biggest fan I feel it should be pointed out how strange it is they never managed to become as big in other countries (such as Ireland & U.K.).

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I have "Images and Words" and "Falling into infinity", both have some good tracks. Love the intro for "Take the Time" :)

I've heard good things about "Train of Thought", is it up to much?

Don't know about FII but I&W is a great album - seriously though, you need to get into their more recent stuff, it's a goldmine! Train of Thought is their best in my opinion, an absolute masterpiece fusion of metal and progressive - groovy riffs, insane keyboard, LaBrie's usual amazing vocal performance, and the best 2 songs I think I may have ever heard...(Vacant/Stream of Consciousness). And if that's not in the shop Octavarium and Scenes from a Memory are also amazing!:D

My Holy Trinity:

In Flames
    KoRn
    Dream Theater
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Scene From A Memory is their best album imho. I just love it but all their stuff has cracking tunes here and there.

Wish they would come back to Ireland, that show in Vicar St was an absolute belter.

Just bought Dark Side of the Moon - Dream Theater Official Bootleg on DVD & Cd and they arrived today... Yippee - can't wait to have a listen.

I was at the gig where it was recorded and it was superb.. Also, includes a bonus disc with A Saucerful of Floyd on it, so pretty sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Petrucci is a beast...inspires me...and makes me feel I should give up (guitar) all at the same time haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I told you all ages ago. :p

It goes without saying that Dream Theater are fantastic, but some of the side-projects are nothing short of brilliant in their own right too. I'm sure some people here have heard Liquid Tension Experiment, right? And John Petrucci's solo album is quite literally one of the best instrumental albums I've heard in years. Even James LaBrie's solo album was pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

I told you all ages ago. :p

It goes without saying that Dream Theater are fantastic, but some of the side-projects are nothing short of brilliant in their own right too. I'm sure some people here have heard Liquid Tension Experiment, right? And John Petrucci's solo album is quite literally one of the best instrumental albums I've heard in years. Even James LaBrie's solo album was pretty good.

Ya Petrucci's album is excellent. Glasgow Kiss rocks

Ya Petrucci's album is excellent. Glasgow Kiss rocks
    Yes,saw it live on the G3 DVD, brilliant guitar work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've always considered his solo album to be self indulgent wankery. And I listen to Malmsteen! :pac:

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    I've always considered his solo album to be self indulgent wankery. And I listen to Malmsteen! :pac:
    jeebus,and malmsteen is the king of self indulgant wankery!!!!Thats why he was kicked out of alcatrazz,because of his incessant soloing!!Hes grand in small doses,but too much gets a bit wearing!!

Satch is the man when it comes to that level of playing...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Heres for dragiing up old threads to using the search function:D

DT have been announced for Sweden Rock 2009...meaning more shows in Europe next summer:D Sure is gonna be great. Really hoping they do Rock Am Ring, cos if so, I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I stopped listening after falling into infinity. there were heading towards the type of wankery i was growing out of. so, out of the albums i've heard, awake is my fave. i like the covers on a change of seasons also.

labrie annoys the **** out of me though.

used to be able to play erotomania from start to finish on bass if thats any good for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Been listening to these guys since 2003 since i heard them cover Master Of Puppets from start to finish. My jaw dropped. It was enough to make a believer out of me there and then.

Petrucci is god, and his solo stuff is definitely worth a listen to. :)
    For all you video game freaks out there, Pull Me Under is featured in Guitar Hero World Tour and is guaranteed to give you very sore fingers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I have put aside tonight to watch the Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes from New York DVD :D

Petrucci is a sublime musician, the little I've heard of his solo stuff is just amazing.

I do like this solo pettrucci effort..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Have to say, the DVD is a bit disappointing. Music is top-notch, but the staging and vocals are pretty dodgy. I'm a fan of LaBrie, and I've seen him deliver the goods live, but it never seems to translate well to camera.

Still, the honky-tonk keyboard solo in Dance of Eternity is just deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I watched both disks in the Chaos in Motion box set over the weekend. Brilliant package with 3 cd's of the gig too. :D

The second disk gives an excellent behind the scenes angle; amazing attention to detail.

I agree that James' voice divides opinion, but as MP says in the DVD, he is the voice of Dream Theater

Mushy wrote: »
    Heres for dragiing up old threads to using the search function:D

DT have been announced for Sweden Rock 2009...meaning more shows in Europe next summer:D Sure is gonna be great. Really hoping they do Rock Am Ring, cos if so, I'm there.

Woohoo, here's hoping they get announced for either Graspop or Bloodstock or maybe even a show here in Vicar Street again.

Will probably take a mosey over to London anyhow to see them on their own if they're doing a full blown tour, have seen them there most years since 2000!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I saw them at vicar street for me sins, a wankfest if ever there was one.

Advertisement