Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A recent Project

Options
  • 30-04-2007 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Ok to start off my posting in this new forum I thought I'd describe a recent project.

Basically I needed a transmitter tower in the middle of a field where no power was available to me so I obviously thought of wind power. So off I went and got myself a wee 12V wind genny and a car battery. So it works fine but I want some suggestions on how to improve the setup.

I thought of adding a PV Cell for when there is little wind. (During the summer I usually have to change the battery every 2-3 weeks because of no wind)

I have a Voltage Regulator of the system to guard against over charging but it's not the greatest and the batteries do boil meaning I have to go up and change them.

So people, would a PV Cell contribute much to the system or would I just be wasting money and I'd also like suggestions for a better Voltege regulator?

I'm trying to get a Photo of the working system for you all to see but for some reason at the moment my phone sync software is kicking up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Knew I'd get it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

can i ask what its for/ what it does, wifi ??

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You need a charge controller. Could be pricey, particularly for two power sources. Have a look at www.eirbyte.com for some examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You'll might need a Low-Volt-Disconnect as well in case the batteries go really low and you don't get up there to change them. If you are running atheros cards and the volts go really low , it corrupts the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

bushy... wrote:
    You'll might need a Low-Volt-Disconnect as well in case the batteries go really low and you don't get up there to change them. If you are running atheros cards and the volts go really low , it corrupts the card.
    Cheers Guys, the system is running on a WRAP which has a Low Voltage cutout of about 7V. That works fine and i've never had any cards go corrupt.
    As for the charge controller, I bought one of them when I bought the wind turbine and it definetely does something (I've had the misfortune of putting my hand on the spill resistor when it's hot) but maybe it's not able to dissipate the excess power quickly enough?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A multimeter is your friend. To keep a battery float charged you should have an output voltage of about 13.8v. You also really need deep-cycle leisure batteries (like for a mobile home or a boat), as normal car/truck batteries don't take kindly to being repeatedly emptied and recharged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

zippy28 wrote:
    Cheers Guys, the system is running on a WRAP which has a Low Voltage cutout of about 7V. That works fine and i've never had any cards go corrupt.
    That was exactly the same setup the guy had , but it was a while ago so maybe the wraps/ cards are updated.
    Anyway , sounds like the controller is not able to dump all the excess power or its set too high, go up on a windy day and stick a meter on it.
    Maybe remote monitoring of it would be a good idea anyway, graphs are easy to get going and very useful for stuff like that.

Advertisement