Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMail becomes the new Skype

Options
  • 12-11-2008 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334505,00.asp

So they've just added video and voice chat to Chat within GMail.
    Wow, great idea, and I would imagine another nail in the coffin for all those other free email systems, to which Google is now so much more superior.

Considering Google almost Microsoft like pervasiveness in our culture, I'm surprised we don't hate them more .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

<tinfoil hat>

The reason more people dont hate Google yet is quite simple, their stuff works.

I know it seems too simple but think about it, theres very little to complain about software thats not only free but works. Add to that that Microsoft has had a repuation for being the big fat bully for so long that its become an entity unto itself.

people like to bitch about microsoft. its a script-kiddy way of saying 'I get technology'. its childish really.

Though if you read up on it, there are probably more reason to fear Google than anyone ever had about Microsoft. Google was funded in part by Darpa, its basically knows more about you than any other company etc.

</tinfoil hat>

Now back on topic :p

Google's chat is really not that popular, maybe in part because people worry about the privacy aspect; legitimately you might say. I dont think Googles voice chat thing will ever take over skype or any other for that matter, Google for all they're good parts, dont understand good UI design if it'd save their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

SolarNexus wrote: »
    <tinfoil hat>

The reason more people dont hate Google yet is quite simple, their stuff works.

I know it seems too simple but think about it, theres very little to complain about software thats not only free but works. Add to that that Microsoft has had a repuation for being the big fat bully for so long that its become an entity unto itself.

people like to bitch about microsoft. its a script-kiddy way of saying 'I get technology'. its childish really.

Though if you read up on it, there are probably more reason to fear Google than anyone ever had about Microsoft. Google was funded in part by Darpa, its basically knows more about you than any other company etc.

</tinfoil hat>

Now back on topic :p

Google's chat is really not that popular, maybe in part because people worry about the privacy aspect; legitimately you might say. I dont think Googles voice chat thing will ever take over skype or any other for that matter, Google for all they're good parts, dont understand good UI design if it'd save their life.
    Skype has become a big manky pile of bloat.

Google's UI design is fantastic. Look at gmail. Minimal, smooth and arguably superior to most clients. The current incarnation of the GoogleTalk app is what all im programs should be like. None of the cluttered UIs of skype and Live Messenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

okay I will agree with you on the bloat front... but as a company Google arent known for UI design.

I'm downloading GoogleTalk again to see what its like since I last used it, but I'm doubtful it would be able to be as good as Windows Live Messenger, which I use alot

Advertisement