Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for tarmacing driveway.

Options
  • 23-12-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I'm looking to get my existing concrete driveway, which has been around since 1966, removed and possibly tarmac put down in its place.
    What technical specs should I look out for as in what depth hardcore base should be put in and what depth should it be whacked down to?
    What depth of tarmac should I be looking for? I believe 2" is no good as the light can get through to the weeds below, so should I be looking for 4"?
    I'm looking to get a decorative paving slab border put at the driveway entrance and around the tarmac edges as a border also, so is there any thing I should be looking out for as in expansion room for tarmac etc?
    I'm also looking to widen the driveway entrance, so do I need pp for this?
    Does anyone know a rough price per m squared for the above?
    Finally can anyone recommend a contractor in the south Dublin area?
    Thanks in advance for all the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi all
    I'm looking to get my existing concrete driveway, which has been around since 1966, removed and possibly tarmac put down in its place.
    What technical specs should I look out for as in what depth hardcore base should be put in and what depth should it be whacked down to?
    What depth of tarmac should I be looking for? I believe 2" is no good as the light can get through to the weeds below, so should I be looking for 4"?
    I'm looking to get a decorative paving slab border put at the driveway entrance and around the tarmac edges as a border also, so is there any thing I should be looking out for as in expansion room for tarmac etc?

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

I'm considering the same. Does anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

I'm considering the same. Does anyone have any advice?

If you go to the price and costs section of this particular forum there is a page about tarmac costs. Its not solely about costs however as most topics regarding tarmac surfacing are discussed throughout the thread. Theres a very informative poster there that might be able to help you out. Link below to thread

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056809036/48/#post116842233

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

tom1ie wrote: »
    Hi all

If your concrete is still sound you could look at a resin top coat.
    I had my interior floors done back in 2010.
    There is also an exterior version /options are extensive re colours bordering etc.
    [snip]
    I do not have any connection with them, just a satisfied customer.

Advertisement