Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridley Bikes

Options
  • 07-09-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hey folks
    Does anyone have experience with Ridley bikes?
    I'm in the market for a gravel bike around the 1500€ mark and I like the look of the Kanzo A. There doesn't seem to be many reviews on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't think anyone would argue that Ridley don't know how to make a good bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Hey folks
    Does anyone have experience with Ridley bikes?
    I'm in the market for a gravel bike around the 1500€ mark and I like the look of the Kanzo A. There doesn't seem to be many reviews on them.
    Solid brand going for many years, can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Check their sizing, usually size up a bit big. Medium in most brands (54) is a small Ridley road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Thanks Chaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Great bikes, I bought a Ridley Excalibur road bike (from RobFowl I think it was) on Adverts a good many years ago (he upgraded to a Ridley Noah at the time). Bike has done at a guess 50-60k km since on all road surfaces including an Audax Super Randonneur, many training spins and then 7k kms per year commuting through the rough streets of Dublin for the past 4 years. I’m pretty heavy at over 100kg but bar consumables (have worn through the sidewalls of two sets of Mavic Ksyriums wheels) the bike itself has been rock solid. They’re not too common either which adds to the appeal.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I like something a bit different. The next challenge is finding one in stock. They don’t ship directly to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a Ridley Gladius as my main commuter. I bought it shop damaged around 2012 from the liquidation of Cyclelogical. It was subsequently 'written off' in a RTA in 2013 when I T-boned a car which turned across my path. I bought it back from the insurance company for €50 and have been using it ever since. It gets nothing but abuse, gets minimum maintenance, is rarely cleaned but simply refuses to lie down and die. Most of the original components are still going strong including the bottom bracket. It owes me nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah, I like something a bit different. The next challenge is finding one in stock. They don’t ship directly to Ireland.

Hollingsworth Kilmacud sell Ridley, or at least they used to. A bunch of lads in the Irish Road Club are riding Aero Ridleys bought a couple of years ago.

https://www.mycycle.ie/SearchResults.asp?Search=ridley

I don't see that "Kanzo" listed but worth a call see if they bring one in? They certainly have the CX bikes in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Just to weigh in. Like the lads said - size down, I've a medium Noah and it has a 57cm top tube! Also it's deadly. I don't think you can go wrong with Ridley for a gravel bike, they are from the home of cyclocross after all and are well used to making off road drop bar bikes. That Hanzo looks great in the Belgian colours.

By the way Merlin bikes also sell Ridley online, you might be able to snap up a deal there - I know, to the detriment of the LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I have a 2013 Ridley Damocles with ISP.

Size medium with a virtual top tube of 57cm CC. 100 mm stem. I’m 6ft and it fits perfectly. I was debating getting a large and I’m glad I didn’t.

I’m not sure about the size up suggestion. I think you have to study the geo charts for the bike and make your own call.

Ridley make very good bikes as others have said. New bike on the way which is also Belgian. But I won’t be letting the Ridley go. Likely will get a new groupset for it.

• Advertisement

TooObvious wrote: »
    By the way Merlin bikes also sell Ridley online, you might be able to snap up a deal there - I know, to the detriment of the LBS.

I believe that the Merlin own brand bikes are made by Ridley as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I've Ridley Xtrail gravel bike. Cannot fault it. Very solid. I think they purchased Merckx recently, FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Not sure where you are but Victoria's Cross Cycles in Cork have a long standing partnership with Ridley, i'm not sure if they are official stockists but they always have plenty in stock and have contacts with the Ridley factory in Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Same as most of the above, i've had a Ridley for 6 or 7 years now, never a problem, good solid bike, if you choose to a sound purchase.

Just as a follow up, I mailed Ridley and they came back to say they’re out of stock for a year.

Advertisement