Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers

Options
  • 21-11-2013 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭

I'm 26, so I surely can't be accused of being an old fart.

Is it just me or are a lot of teenagers nowadays absolute arseholes? With their stupid looking hairstyles, skinny jeans and chinos. They are obsessed with Facebook, Snapchat and all that irrelevent bollox that comes with the iPhone generation. Swag? Yolo? Lel? Fuck off!

And don't get me started on the whole American accent shite that some of them come out with. OMG!

You very rarely see many of them outside kicking a football these days. This is what me and my friends mostly did when I was a teen. On our days off school we would be gone from the house all day and our parents would almost have to drag us into the house when it got dark.

Halloween is nowhere near what it used to be, teens are not interested in collecting for bonfires anymore and it's rare to hear a few bangers going off. Again, this is what me and my friends did when I was a teen.

Feck it maybe I am just an old fart. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

And the sex. They are having all the sex now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...don't see as many with a flagon anymore..not many cider crazed youths....or gangs of skins, punks and the rest bateing the heads off each other....the days of innocence are gone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

You're not old, but you're a hell of a lot older than a teenager.

I disagree with people who say "Music hasn't gotten worse - you've just gotten old"; chart music clearly has gotten worse due to The X Factor. But in this case I don't think some teenagers today are any more arse-holish than their counterparts in the past - maybe just in different ways though.

What's arse-holish about not doing Halloween stuff btw?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

They want a good clip round the ear and bring back national service.

The problem with young people today is that they have things too easy.

Major Willington-Smyth (rtd), Windybottom, Berkshire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

BNMC wrote: »

Is it just me or are a lot of teenagers nowadays absolute arseholes? With their stupid looking hairstyles, skinny jeans and chinos. They are obsessed with Facebook, Snapchat and all that irrelevent bollox that comes with the iPhone generation. Swag? Yolo? Lel? Fuck off!

And don't get me started on the whole American accent shite that some of them come out with. OMG!

You very rarely see many of them outside kicking a football these days. This is what me and my friends mostly did when I was a teen. On our days off school we would be gone from the house all day and our parents would almost have to drag us into the house when it got dark.

Halloween is nowhere near what it used to be, teens are not interested in collecting for bonfires anymore and it's rare to hear a few bangers going off. Again, this is what me and my friends did when I was a teen.

Agree but I'd love to be banging a 16yr old now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Nodin wrote: »
    ...don't see as many with a flagon anymore..not many cider crazed youths....or gangs of skins, punks and the rest bateing the heads off each other....the days of innocence are gone....

I must say i prefer the term "cider crazed thugs"...this was particularly apt when they would "set upon" people in Stephens Green.

Having spent the better part of a decade being a cider swilling punk rocker i was never privvy to "setting upon" anybody nor do i remember ever seeing it...still,the Herald needed it's stories.

Edit...now that i recall...incidences of cider-related violence were extremely high back in the day..vrious skinhead factions were at war,the punks and bishop st flats had a few dust ups,gigs erupted into riots and scores could be settled willy nilly with constant switching of alleigences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Tugboats wrote: »
    I'd love to be banging a 16yr old now
    You so bad-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

You probably see less teens kicking footballs around nowadays because you're not a football kicking teen and thus don't hang around the spots where teens like to kick footballs.

It's the same way I see less school kids because I stopped hanging around schools after the leaving several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Sounds like you're an old fart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

You're not old, but you're a hell of a lot older than a teenager.

I disagree with people who say "Music hasn't gotten worse - you've just gotten old"; chart music clearly has gotten worse due to The X Factor. But in this case I don't think some teenagers today are any more arse-holish than their counterparts in the past - maybe just in different ways though.
    Music these days doesn't bother me actually. TBH I actually enjoy some of 1D's songs, they're not the worst to be fair. Then again I'd listen to anything, I'm far from a music snob.

Just to clarify, I'm not generalizing. They are a lot of decent, grounded, respectful teenagers. But they seem to be in the minority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Teenagers are a lot more confident and socially well adjusted compared to us in our day. Chances are they won't be blithering on about footballs and halloween bonfires when they reach mid to late twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes you are old, yes you were that annoying as a teenager, yes you did look that stupid too and no, music was not much better back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Where the fúck do you live. Must be like d4 or something. I've never heard any statement as stupid before. You're tarnishing a whole generation of people with the same brush. We're not all skinny jean wearing Facebook using arseholes as you put it. This stereotype of teenagers really posses me off. It's like me saying are all people in their twenties lazy cúnts. Obviously not t using your logic a few people are representative of us all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Are they still snowballing

seamus wrote: »
    Yes you are old, yes you were that annoying as a teenager, yes you did look that stupid too and no, music was not much better back then.
    26 is not old. I was not annoying and where in the OP did I criticise music?

But they seem to be in the minority.

I think that's obviously not true. If the majority of teens were scumbags Ireland would be a far worse place.

More likely is that the well behaved teenagers don't grab your attention (because they're minding their own business) while the scumbags are memorable because of their scumbaggish ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Well as a teenager (19 so on the way out ) I can say not all of us are like this. The hairstyles and the fashion is just the trend as I'm sure you had your own trend in your time OP. Being obsessed with FB and Snapchat is prob more a thing for the younger teens i.e. the Bebo Stunnaaahss ex oh ex oh loool

And I'm pretty sure bonfires and bangers are illegal now or at least the guards are more strict than they were 10 years ago.

Blue giant wrote: »
    Where the fúck do you live. Must be like d4 or something. I've never heard any statement as stupid before. You're tarnishing a whole generation of people with the same brush. We're not all skinny jean wearing Facebook using arseholes as you put it. This stereotype of teenagers really posses me off. It's like me saying are all people in their twenties lazy cúnts. Obviously not t using your logic a few people are representative of us all
    I live in the middle of nowhere in Co.Kildare.

I said I wasn't generalizing. Do you know what that means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nodin wrote: »

What are you talking about. They were great times.

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think that's obviously not true. If the majority of teens were scumbags Ireland would be a far worse place.

More likely is that the well behaved teenagers don't grab your attention (because they're minding their own business) while the scumbags are memorable because of their scumbaggish ways.
    Scumbags? Where did I call any teenager a scumbag?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

You're not an old fart!.....just some eegits on here are "wtf...how do I respond in a quick but seemingly spontaneous response, full of Humour and such!!!!"...

I live in the middle of nowhere in Co.Kildare.

I said I wasn't generalizing. Do you know what that means?

You generalised in the sentence directly after you stated you weren't generalising in a "I'm not racist but..." sort of way.

renraw wrote: »
    You're not an old fart!.....just some eegits on here are "wtf...how do I respond in a quick but seemingly spontaneous response, full of Humour and such!!!!"...
    Righteous indignation was what sprung to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

lkionm wrote: »
    And the sex. They are having all the sex now

Ah sex. Good ould days.

Teenagers.

*shakes fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Do ye not have joyriding to be doing, feckless teens? God be with the days when every red-blooded teenager had a Corolla to be robbing and riding to the rims. Gone to pot they are. Or not, depending on your view of joyriding. I reckon they're all saints these days tbh, thanks be to god. The lot from the '80s were headers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Lel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Hello_MrFox

I never see them wearing the tracksuit pants with the buttons down the sides either anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Righteous indignation was what sprung to my mind.

It is with regret that I feel your pain.. aww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I'm 25 and don't think that teens are much different to when I was 14 or 15. The Halloween thing does annoy me though. I went around last year at Halloween with my now wife looking to see some bonfires, couldn't find a single one. From the age of 10-15 I spent the months before Halloween collecting for the bonfire with my friends. It made a great night of it. This year I just decided to buy my own fireworks and stay at home. I am aware that the Xbox is much more interesting than collecting tyres after school but Halloween isn't the same with a bonfire. By the way they were always illegal but that shouldn't really stop teenagers :)

• Advertisement

I never see them wearing the tracksuit pants with the buttons down the sides either anymore.
    Rip offs! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement