Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restored your faith in humanity?

• 14-11-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

What's the last act that restored your faith in humanity? It could be something that happened to you or something you read about or seen on the TV.

The one that springs to mind for me happened years ago. I was learning to drive and I thought the best thing to do was to throw myself in the deep end and drive on my own up some remote part of the Dublin mountains. It was foggier than I realised and I was too young and dumb to turn on the fog lights. I was driving along at a careful pace and I just about noticed a gaurd standing on the road. I barely noticed him because of the fog and he asked me to pull into the side of the road. Turns out there was an accident up ahead and he was telling drivers to turn back.

He could have thrown the book at me but instead he said "you haven't been driving very long have you". I replied no and he said "you know how to turn around do you? Well then turn around and go home. We all have to start somewhere son but be careful in future".

I was fully insured and taxed but he could have thrown the book at me. I hadn't a full license and hadn't even got my fog lights on. I'll always remember that and it restored my faith in humanity.

So what event sticks in your mind?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Cool strory bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

None because I've never lost it. Someone was said that if you ever watch the news from when there's been a disaster that you will always see people helping, and they're right. I think little things you see online like someone handing in a wallet restoring their faith in humanity, well I think they're playing a bit fast and loose with the term "faith in humanity."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    None because I've never lost it. Someone was said that if you ever watch the news from when there's been a disaster that you will always see people helping, and they're right. I think little things you see online like someone handing in a wallet restoring their faith in humanity, well I think they're playing a bit fast and loose with the term "faith in humanity."

It's a figure of speech. When I accuse someone of cutting their nose to spite their face I don't necessarily mean they cut their nose. Same goes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Faith in humanity restored."

Probably my most hated internet phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    None because I've never lost it. Someone was said that if you ever watch the news from when there's been a disaster that you will always see people helping, and they're right.

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping". - Fred Rogers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

J. Marston wrote: »
    "Faith in humanity restored."

Probably my most hated internet phrase.

Right up there with "you'll never believe what happens next"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

He could have thrown the book at you for not having your fog lights on?

Some cars don't even have fog lights, it's not a legal requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Nib wrote: »
    He could have thrown the book at you for not having your fog lights on?

Some cars don't even have fog lights, it's not a legal requirement.

I nearly ran him over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I nearly ran him over.

Was he wearing any hi viz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping". - Fred Rogers :)

Thanks! I never knew who said it and I don't recognise the name. Slightly more eloquent than my clumsily worded first post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I never thought the time that lady told me my plastic shopping bag was about to burst open could be topped...

Advertisement