Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sam and DQS v Bora, battle for the Green, Stage 19

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah, it's a very special jersey win I think. Really earned it.

55 points ahead now with 70 available - top 3 in the intermediate sprint and he can just focus on the stage win then.

All about the stage now too. There’s zero chance of Sagan catching him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is Sundays stage going to be an late evening finish like the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

neris wrote: »
    Is Sundays stage going to be an late evening finish like the last few years?

yep. approx 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Is there not 20pts available in the time trial tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Oymyakon wrote: »

If Sagan finishes in the points tomorrow then he deserves the green jersey. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Dodge wrote: »
    All about the stage now too. There’s zero chance of Sagan catching him

If I was Sam I'd be looking to sew up those points at the intermediate in case there's a crash on the Champs Elysee and Sagan avoids it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭raclle

Dodge wrote: »
    All about the stage now too.
    Would be amazing if he won the Champs-Élysées stage to top it off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Bennett pipped Sagan at the line again!

Excellent

Given his superiority in the sprint, its a shame he actually only won one stage this year which sounds crazy I know. He really should be targeting the Champs Elysee now. The Jersey is in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

redlead wrote: »
    Given his superiority in the sprint, its a shame he actually only won one stage this year which sounds crazy I know. He really should be targeting the Champs Elysee now. The Jersey is in the bag.

Full DQS leadout on the Champs D'Elysee, Sam has a great chance, favourite imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

tenor.gif?itemid=8326770

She's clearing her throat

:D:D:D

Presuming both get nothing on the time trial:

Even if Sagan gets all 20 points at the intermediate sprint and Bennett gets nothing, then the Irishman needs to just finish at least fifth in Paris should Sagan win the stage in order to secure the green jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Inquitus wrote: »
    Full DQS leadout on the Champs D'Elysee, Sam has a great chance, favourite imho!

What even Alaphilippe?!?

Good luck with that.

If I was Sam I'd be looking to sew up those points at the intermediate in case there's a crash on the Champs Elysee and Sagan avoids it.

He will. I’m just saying that the gap is so big that there’s zero chance that Sagan will have enough spaces between them to catch him

Shot of Sam there sat on the steps with a towel over him shaking his head, it is starting to dawn on him????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

redlead wrote: »

That just speaks to his slight versatility over Ewen, and how Ewen is the Usain Bolt of cycling and unbeatable over short distances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Itziger wrote: »
    What even Alaphilippe?!?

Good luck with that.

Better chance of Alaphilippe doing a Vinokourov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Oymyakon wrote: »

Neither Bennett or Sagan will get any points in the T.T. tomorrow.
    Honestly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What even Alaphilippe?!?

Good luck with that.

tenor.gif?itemid=14592634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sam did really well today, he moved up 6 places on G.C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Shot of Sam there sat on the steps with a towel over him shaking his head, it is starting to dawn on him????

Nah. Sagan was probably just trying to waterboard him.

Roger Kluge increased his lead today as Lantern Rouge by finishing last.
    It was quite a battle because the second-last and third-last riders in GC also finished second-last and third-last in the stage!

(Ewan can't even get over a speed bump at the moment without being dropped from the peloton)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

tenor.gif?itemid=14592634

Without his raffish goatee, Alaphilippe is just the chipper, but ultimately annoying, guy who delivers office stationery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

What even Alaphilippe?!?

Good luck with that.
    Worked for Sam when he was in Yellow, iirc?

There was one sprinter who took it real easy today, just rolled over the intermediate sprint and sat back in the peloton saving his energy for Paris on Sunday. He must surely be the favourite for the Champs Elysses now.

His name......
    morkovnormal1_1598207363.jpg
    Michael Mørkøv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭De Bhál

no way they did that, did they? seems very high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

De Bhál wrote: »
    no way they did that, did they? seems very high

Yeah especially when you consider both the terrain and Andersen pulling out a minute over them, so suggesting that Andersen held 57.5 fo6 16km.

Irish riders have got eight top-10 finishes so far... Sam (6x) & Nico (x2).
    Sam should get another on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

cunavalos wrote: »
    There was one sprinter who took it real easy today, just rolled over the intermediate sprint and sat back in the peloton saving his energy for Paris on Sunday. He must surely be the favourite for the Champs Elysses now.

His name......
    morkovnormal1_1598207363.jpg
    Michael Mørkøv

Thinking of starting a campaign to get Morkov voted Irish Sports Personality of the Year 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Worked for Sam when he was in Yellow, iirc?

He did 2 or 3k at one stage.

• Advertisement

Doc07 wrote: »
    Thinking of starting a campaign to get Morkov voted Irish Sports Personality of the Year ��

Well if Sean Kelly gets a town square and a sports centre named after him in Carrick on Suir, the local council will have to think long and hard about finding something adequate for Mørkøv (Maybe Sam could get something too):D

Well if Sean Kelly gets a town square and a sports centre named after him in Carrick on Suir, the local council will have to think long and hard about finding something adequate for Mørkøv (Maybe Sam could get something too):D

The Morkov GAA grounds, Sam can have a cul de sac in a new housing development a few ks out of town

neris wrote: »
    The Morkov GAA grounds, Sam can have a cul de sac in a new housing development a few ks out of town

True, but with the Danish flag he will surely be a Carrick Davins man, Sam would never get a GAA pitch named after him anyway .... feckin Soccer family don't you know and apparently there is a rumour going around that he is actually British and will be nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This was from a few days ago right after Sam nabbed the intermediate sprint points - again.

https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1306195566695788547?s=20

Mørkøv's blow of the cheeks at the end....:D

You kind of forget that it's not just Sam under pressure. One of the reasons it looks like he's taking the intermediates easily is because of the work Morkov has done seconds prior to it.

You kind of forget that it's not just Sam under pressure. One of the reasons it looks like he's taking the intermediates easily is because of the work Morkov has done seconds prior to it.

That's why Morkovs getting a gaa ground ;)

• Advertisement

Sporza's article this evening.

526758.jpg

Dont listen to him Sam..............its a trick!!!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

True, but with the Danish flag he will surely be a Carrick Davins man, Sam would never get a GAA pitch named after him anyway .... feckin Soccer family don't you know and apparently there is a rumour going around that he is actually British and will be nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Morkovs Mollerans has a ring to it.

Right side of the river to..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Tbh I thought that from an Irish perspective the finish to today's stage was a bit of an anticlimax. I fully.understand why it played out as it did but I couldn't help thinking that the green jersey was an inhibiting factor.

If sam was in the same position towards the end of the stage and nowhere near green he could have been in the shake up for the stage win if cards were played at the right time

Tbh I thought that from an Irish perspective the finish to today's stage was a bit of an anticlimax. I fully.understand why it played out as it did but I couldn't help thinking that the green jersey was an inhibiting factor.

If sam was in the same position towards the end of the stage and nowhere near green he could have been in the shake up for the stage win if cards were played at the right time

That's the difference between strategy and tactics. In his own words:“I had completely forgotten about the stage, those points had to go away, there’s such a gap between the first placings, and then it was just about trying to keep the lead,” he observed.

Of course it would have been different if he didnt have the green jersey on his back..............but he did. It was always likely that a breakaway would take today rather than a full bunch sprint. The GCN Racing News Editor Will Newton not only predicted this, he even picked Søren Kragh Anderson to win it just as he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I think Trentin is happy with a podium in Paris - he hasn't really made any major effort to get past Sagan let alone Sam. I'm surprised that Sagan didn't try to let Trentin go and make Sam chase him.

Do they do podium for green, white and polka dot? Thought only yellow had a top 3 podium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    This was from a few days ago right after Sam nabbed the intermediate sprint points - again.

https://twitter.com/deceuninck_qst/status/1306195566695788547?s=20

Mørkøv's blow of the cheeks at the end....:D

I've got an almost unused replica of that bike (Quickstep Wolfpack colours but unfortunately it is a Specialized Allez - going up for sale when he wins green on Sunday to fund my new gravel bike. Unfortunately not in Ireland to capitalise on it though!)

Sivakov not a fan of his rim brakes, (May need headphones for this one) https://streamable.com/e/k1ot69

Remi Cavagna is a fan of Sam though

https://www.letour.fr/en/news/2020/remi-cavagna-i-enjoy-riding-for-sam-bennett/1291090

“ Our goal for the end of this Tour is to retain the green jersey with Sam Bennett and I think we’re on the right track. He’s a great guy and I enjoy riding for him.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sivakov not a fan of his rim brakes, (May need headphones for this one) https://streamable.com/e/k1ot69

Isn’t it great that the first thing people can say correctly in a different language is how to curse.

Advertisement