Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,084 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tim76 wrote: »
    Did a Eurosport commentator mention yesterday that Sean Kelly referred to the Pogacar v Roglic battle as the Podge & Rodge Show?

I tried to skip back on the player but the iPad wouldn't let me. Anyway, I'm sure the reference was lost on most of the Eurosport audience :D
    Ya he did. Pronounced Pog & Rog show but still funny

Bambaata wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that has details of all the sprint points on offer by stage/by sprint etc?

Wikipedia have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bambaata wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that has details of all the sprint points on offer by stage/by sprint etc?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_classification_in_the_Tour_de_France#Current

That gives the rules, and letour.fr will show you stage by stage where the intermediate sprints are.

procyclingstats have it too. Great site you should bookmark if you are unfamiliar with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Had a quick scan of Strava today after the mountains stage - was interested to see what life looks like in the grupetto. Pretty bloody fast!!! :eek:

Bryan Coquard's Grupetto ride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Moviestar are 1/33 favourite to win the Moviestar Team prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Looking back on Sam's exit from Bora, you'd wonder if his presence at the tour was something that concerned them and why they dragged their feet on releasing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

py wrote: »
    Looking back on Sam's exit from Bora, you'd wonder if his presence at the tour was something that concerned them and why they dragged their feet on releasing him.

I'd always thought that the team felt like he would not finish a grand tour and held him back until he was ready. How wrong was me

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Specialized were paying a rather big sum to make sure Sagan was at the tour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Inquitus wrote: »
    Have you read Sean's Autobiography Hunger? Would highly recommend.
    I thought it was deathly dull...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Moviestar are 1/33 favourite to win the Moviestar Team prize.

People were talking earlier in the thread about scrapping the white jersey (which I don't agree with, having Bernal and Pogacar as a genuine GC contender while eligible for the white jersey is probably the first time in the last 10 years or so since Quintana), but the team prize seems absolutely meaningless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What bugs me is wearing a jersey you don't own because some other lad has a higher priority one.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

dinneenp wrote: »
    Began reading this humourous book about an average guy cycling the Tour route by himself. Kind of like Bill Bryson's style
    French Revolutions

Moore has written a few more cycling books " Gironimo" (about riding the route of the 1914 Giro on a vintage bike) and " The cyclist who went out in the cold", about riding along the Iron Curtain.

People were talking earlier in the thread about scrapping the white jersey (which I don't agree with, having Bernal and Pogacar as a genuine GC contender while eligible for the white jersey is probably the first time in the last 10 years or so since Quintana), but the team prize seems absolutely meaningless

Movistar are obsessed with it because the sponsors want it but I dont know another single team that cares.

I hate how the rider in 2nd nurses a jersey if the guy in 1st has 2 jerseys but again its down to sponsors paying to have 20 stages worth of jerseys in view

Moore has written a few more cycling books " Gironimo" (about riding the route of the 2014 Giro on a vintage bike) and " The cyclist who went out in the cold", about riding along the Iron Curtain.

havent read it yet but "Riding in the Zone Rouge: The Tour of the Battlefields 1919" about a race through the WW1 battlefields. Crazy thing about the Zone Rouge is it an area in France that its still illegal to build a house or farm because of all the toxins and bombs from WW1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

breezy1985 wrote: »
    havent read it yet but "Riding in the Zone Rouge: The Tour of the Battlefields 1919" about a race through the WW1 battlefields. Crazy thing about the Zone Rouge is it an area in France that its still illegal to build a house or farm because of all the toxins and bombs from WW1

I started reading this. It's a quasi fictional account of what the author think may have happened as the vast majority of the sources have been lost to the ravages of war.

In my recollection this was not apparent when it first came out so I felt a bit shortchanged .

It is available from public libraries though, but not my branch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon, the English translation is well worth a read.

Has anyone here read G.Martins Socrates a Velo ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Movistar are obsessed with it because the sponsors want it but I dont know another single team that cares.

I hate how the rider in 2nd nurses a jersey if the guy in 1st has 2 jerseys but again its down to sponsors paying to have 20 stages worth of jerseys in view

I was in total shock earlier in the tour when they were not in 1st place in it .....but then they got it back so all good was worried that covid had thrown everything out of whack in this tour :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Sure the farmers in parts of France and Belgium where the war was fought regularly plough up ammunition and explosives. Paris roubaix isn't called the hell of the north cause is a hard race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

The death of Marco Pantani probably my favourite cycling related book. Also enjoyed the slaying the badger, domestique and a few others already mentioned. Must give the Fignon one a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I found Full Gas, very interesting. Book about the tactics of bike racing
    9781787290204.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In my experience, you can pretty much rely on any Peter Cossins book!

We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon, the English translation is well worth a read.

Seems an odd name for a cycling autobiography but very Fignon I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

like the full gas book cover :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Great book but it shares a certain similarity with David Millar's "Racing Through The Dark" in that the author is unwilling to accept personal responsibility for anything that goes wrong

Race goes well: - It was me and only me. No-one else. What team?
    Race goes badly: - It was entirely someone else's fault

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Looking forward to the Bob Jungels autobiography myself, The Jungel Book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tim76 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Bob Jungels autobiography myself, The Jungel Book.

Hmmmm.... That sounds like something Carlton Kirby would say!

• Advertisement

See the Giro Rossa started in a shopping centre today. Next year's TDF stage 1 to finish in the freezer aisle of the local Carrefour

neris wrote: »
    See the Giro Rossa started in a shopping centre today. Next year's TDF stage 1 to finish in the freezer aisle of the local Carrefour

TdF started in a shopping centre is Brussels a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

After three weeks staring at the Lidl on the Quickstep arses and arms, I've just noticed the Crivit on the kit. Surely Lidl don't supply the kit for DQS???

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    After three weeks staring at the Lidl on the Quickstep arses and arms, I've just noticed the Crivit on the kit. Surely Lidl don't supply the kit for DQS???

Probably a rebrand. It happens a fair bit with the bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Probably a rebrand
    Not even - they're made and branded as vermarc. It's just (effective?) advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

So we won't be getting CrivitPRO Sam Bennet signed green jerseys in the middle isle of Lidl next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

yo can get the other national champion jerseys on their team shop site, but not the Irish one :(

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    So we won't be getting CrivitPRO Sam Bennet signed green jerseys in the middle isle of Lidl next week?

Pity there isn't any posters or cutouts of Sam around Lidl. I know cycling isn't big here but it's an easy cash in for them.

Would be great if the closest Lidl to Carrick on Suir will have those awful looking window paintings like Supermacs have for the hurling

Boscoirl wrote: »
    yo can get the other national champion jerseys on their team shop site, but not the Irish one :(

You can buy it on the Vermarc site.
    But nat. champions kits should be earned not bought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Pity there isn't any posters or cutouts of Sam around Lidl. I know cycling isn't big here but it's an easy cash in for them.

Would be great if the closest Lidl to Carrick on Suir will have those awful looking window paintings like Supermacs have for the hurling

How haven't we thought of it already?
    Let's tweet @lidl.
    They're great at responding.

• Advertisement

Great, the 1st Saturday in years I'm going to be able watch the last Saturday of the Tour and its feckin TT. **** you level 3 restrictions

Any Lidl under construction now will be a rushed job to get Sam in to cut the ribbon on the opening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

neris wrote: »
    Any Lidl under construction now will be a rushed job to get Sam in to cut the ribbon on the opening

Why cut the ribbon...ride through it on his bike

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Lidl is the new nissan dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Lidl is the new nissan dealership

I don't get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't get it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Ireland

Tour of Ireland, AKA Nissan International Classic from 1985 to 1992

They should definitely tap Lidl for Rás sponsorship after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The more I watch the Breakaway show the more I start to think that Wiggins is actually alright on it. He does come out with the odd stupid statement like the bit about claiming Sam, but in general he's okay to listen to.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Ireland

Tour of Ireland, AKA Nissan International Classic from 1985 to 1992

1570178473954.jpg--.jpg?1570178473000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sprint through at 75kmh with a token Slovakian a good bit behind

Advertisement