Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fireplace decorations

• 06-09-2020 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I had a mahogony fireplace and badly stained marble. I painted the wood white and got sticky back plastic. I think that part turned out well.

Hoping to replace the mirror soon.

I raided amazon for bits and pieces to decorate. Any feedback or suggestions? Do those candle holders look as garish as I think they do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'd probably get rid of some of the stuff from the bottom - it looks a little cluttered to me. I'm sure its probably lovely when the candles are lighting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Fireplace looks good but too much stuff on hearth and mantlepiece IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

ams wrote: »
    I'd probably get rid of some of the stuff from the bottom - it looks a little cluttered to me. I'm sure its probably lovely when the candles are lighting though.

Thanks! The clutter from the bottom is more because I didn't clear it over .. only the lantern and potplant are staying. Maybe the little hindu chap too.

hayoc wrote: »
    Fireplace looks good but too much stuff on hearth and mantlepiece IMO.

I might just leave the small candles either side.

The plant is the yellow pot, i'm hoping to replace it with one that hangs down.

antix80 wrote: »
    I had a mahogony fireplace and badly stained marble. I painted the wood white and got sticky back plastic. I think that part turned out well.

Hoping to replace the mirror soon.

I raided amazon for bits and pieces to decorate. Any feedback or suggestions? Do those candle holders look as garish as I think they do?

What did you do with the sticky back plastic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

Fireplace looks good, well done! Ha, it's the exact same as my Mam's - thought it was her living room for a second!

You have white, grey, yellow, bronze/brown/copper tones of the fireplace surround., and some black.

The chrome candles work if you like them imo.

I would keep the colours simple as whatever is in front of that white is going to be very noticeable.
    I would keep to a group of about three colours for simplicity.

The photo frames are empty right?

The candles on the bottom - they don't all look great unlit, do you think it's an idea to keep the candles somewhere till you light them? Would help with clutter.
    I always think some of those glass jars look awful when blackened by smoke. Not noticeable in a dark room when the candle is lit, but they look depressing to me otherwise imo.

Yellow pot is nice, and for the plant on the hearth, would a white or yellow plant pot fit in better? I feel like the black plant pot is very dark looking and a bit out of place?

I would play around with the placement of things on the hearth especially, maybe something with a bit of height one side?
    You could try different setups and maybe photograph them so you see what you like best then. Sometimes changing things up, and then leaving the room for a bit, can help see it with new eyes

lucalux wrote: »
    Fireplace looks good, well done! Ha, it's the exact same as my Mam's - thought it was her living room for a second!

You have white, grey, yellow, bronze/brown/copper tones of the fireplace surround., and some black.

The chrome candles work if you like them imo.

I would keep the colours simple as whatever is in front of that white is going to be very noticeable.
    I would keep to a group of about three colours for simplicity.

The photo frames are empty right?

The candles on the bottom - they don't all look great unlit, do you think it's an idea to keep the candles somewhere till you light them? Would help with clutter.
    I always think some of those glass jars look awful when blackened by smoke. Not noticeable in a dark room when the candle is lit, but they look depressing to me otherwise imo.

Yellow pot is nice, and for the plant on the hearth, would a white or yellow plant pot fit in better? I feel like the black plant pot is very dark looking and a bit out of place?

I would play around with the placement of things on the hearth especially, maybe something with a bit of height one side?
    You could try different setups and maybe photograph them so you see what you like best then. Sometimes changing things up, and then leaving the room for a bit, can help see it with new eyes

The colours in the room are gray & some steel with a splash of yellow - my doors are oak and so is the bookcase but it actually doesn't clash.
    The candlesticks are shinier than I expected that's for sure.

I think the clay pot is out of place now that you mention it.
    The copper is something I inherited. My sister already told me to paint it a more neutral colour but I was hoping to avoid a messy job! I'll probably end up doing it (I don't need to worry about the heat because it's just ornamental).

I'll probably replace the mirror too to one with a mirrored bevel.
    The picture frames are empty for now.

hayoc wrote: »
    What did you do with the sticky back plastic?

Stuck it over the marble.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ELVP2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The marble was probably not a nice colour when it was new. After years of fire smoke and people smoking it was drab and scuffed.

I didn't do a great job - there's more than one air bubble.. but for £10 and a bit of patience I'm fairly happy with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭lucalux

The colours in the room are gray & some steel with a splash of yellow - my doors are oak and so is the bookcase but it actually doesn't clash.
    The candlesticks are shinier than I expected that's for sure.

I think the clay pot is out of place now that you mention it.
    The copper is something I inherited. My sister already told me to paint it a more neutral colour but I was hoping to avoid a messy job! I'll probably end up doing it (I don't need to worry about the heat because it's just ornamental).

I'll probably replace the mirror too to one with a mirrored bevel.
    The picture frames are empty for now.

Oh I don't think you need to paint the copper, especially if it's inherited! It'll give a lovely glow from the lights and candles, I'd probably leave it as is and make it work:)

Seeing your messages above about the stuff you're keeping/clutter, I think another plant might be nice and since you don't light the fireplace you have no worries on what you can put there. I wonder if you would get a plant for the gap between fireplace and bookshelf on the right? Balanced out by the smaller plants on the mantelpiece or hearth? (Full disclaimer - I'm mad for plants myself, so it's my taste is all!)

Otherwise with the stuff you're keeping you'll be all colour-matched up, and it's a matter of messing with the placement till you're happy.
    If you're doubting whether to get rid of anything, take it off the mantel and put it away somewhere for a bit. If you notice it and miss it - then you'll know you can put it back. I do the same when trying to decide on de-cluttering. Been too quick to get rid of things in the past myself, and this way I have a chance to decide if it works in a spot or not.

The room looks great already! The mirror will tie stuff together brilliantly if you have that replaced. (I just wondered about the frames more for the colours you were going for!)

Stuck it over the marble.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ELVP2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The marble was probably not a nice colour when it was new. After years of fire smoke and people smoking it was drab and scuffed.

I didn't do a great job - there's more than one air bubble.. but for £10 and a bit of patience I'm fairly happy with the result.

Wow - it looks great!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMHO the mirror looks wrong and out of place.

The candle holders look ok, but personally I'd prefer less shiny ones.

awec wrote: »
    IMHO the mirror looks wrong and out of place.

The candle holders look ok, but personally I'd prefer less shiny ones.

The mirror's gone, don't worry! I've been promised a mirror from a friend. So glad i painted the fireplace, it was as dark as the mirror and sucked the light out of the room.

I was a bit disappointed how shiny the candleholders are, and they're a bit more bulbous and bulkier than I would have liked. They'll act as placeholders until I see something that matches my tastes a bit better, or maybe they'll grow on me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Thanks! The clutter from the bottom is more because I didn't clear it over .. only the lantern and potplant are staying. Maybe the little hindu chap too.
    That's Buddha.

Way too cluttered for me anyway, I would clear everything from it. Is it a functional fire to say that those appear to be real logs? I'd get a wicker basket and put it on the ground beside the hearth to make life easier when trying to light the fire. I hate clutter so it's a personal thing.

All the stuff on the mantlepiece would have to go. Too much dusting and wrecks my feng shuí.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think the mantlepiece is too symmetrical and that dates it.

Have a look online, you'll see things like candlesticks on one side only, a longer and shorter one, maybe just one picture frame etc. A new mirror will make a huge difference too.

Definitely remove most of the stuff from the hearth. Budda might be more comfortable on the book shelf, pick a lower shelf so you can still see it.

A little update. Not finalised yet. Broke the symmetry by removing a candle. Cleared the fireplace a little

Advertisement