Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renal Disease Advice

Options
  • 19-11-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Everybody,

I hope ye are all well.

I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone that been through same issues, here is my story below.

I was diagnosed with Chronic kidney disease in my teens, now in my mid thirties. From the start the doctor said ultimately you will need a transplant at some stage in my life. At this stage in my teens I have stage 3 ckd but a very slow maturing disease so doctors weren't sure how long I would last without some help.

So fast forward to six months ago, and doctors told me my kidneys had failed and I had 1 per cent above the threshold to going on a transplant waiting list and they were looking to start me on dialysis. I asked at this time could a live donor transplant be done as I have 3 sisters that are in good health and willing to donate a kidney to me.

The doctors agreed this would be the best health option for me and wanted to wait three months to get my bloods under control before starting testing/planning with my siblings which was fine by me. In the mean time they sent to pre dialysis clinic to make sure everything was good if I needed dialysis. they were happy that dialysis would suit me if needed and thought in about 6/9 months id need to start.

So I attended the doctor again recently and my bloods are now stable, her opinion was even though I'm in renal failure we will review dialysis looking at living donor transplant candidates in 3/6 months. this kind of caught me off guard as would thought with a living donor transplant there would be alot of planning and tests that would need to be carried out well in advance.

the doctor I attend is very good but over the last 15/20 years I would have seen the volume of patients increase dramatically and the level of care care decrease because simply she hasn't enough resources to deal with everyone properly and she has to prioritise the sickest patients which is understandable its in the public health sector. id like to say I'm in relativity good health and feel lucky still as there a lot of people dealing with a lot worse medical issues.

I have full private health insurance and have had all my life, and I am thinking of looking to change doctor and go private and see can they organise doing the live donor transplant any sooner at least then my life would get back to normal sooner rather just waiting round.

I would be interested to hear if anyone was in similar situation and how they faired out.

thanks for reading!!

Advertisement