Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A very loud car horn for bikes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

CramCycle wrote: »
    I never realised I was not confident until now, all these years and lack of confidence is my issue. Do you have any solutions or recommendations? I never realised it was lack of confidence that made cars tailgate me at 60k an hour, or a lack of confidence that made others run reds in front of me, or a lack of confidence that made other drivers abuse me for using a bus lane. Well thank you for letting me know all the issues my lack of confidence was causing. I always wondered why someone didn't notice (or behave as if they didn't), and it's because I don't carry myself with confidence. Well thank you for letting me know.

I am supposed to go into work tomorrow on my bike. In the past 24hrs I haven’t been able to go near my bike, nor my horn. After all these years I’ve been blindsided by the “confidence” posting, I feel like Saul on the road to Damascus. I have just signed up for a full Tony Robinson course which is going to cost me €€. I also spent the whole of Saturday evening looking straight into my full length mirror shouting “who’s the daddy now”.. I will let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ReReg Numpty

Well, godspeed to you on that road to Damascus.

Make sure you don't blast the eardrums off your fellow travellers with that airhorn.
    Or frazzle their retinas with that strobe light. Or hijack their GDPR rights with your drama-cam. 

Stay classy OP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

brucky wrote: »
    If someone has epilepsy and insists on staring at it, thats just Darwin’s theory in action if you ask me.

Thats a very cold and crude comment. These fits can just happen to succeptible people without warning who are going about their day without a care in the world. So many factors are involved and someone can be fit free for years and have one out of the blue. It happened my nephew out of the blue and it very nearly had serious consequences for him, his parents and all that knew him.

For someone so well versed in evolution, I hope your genes are better that your compassion and consideration of others. If something is dangerous to use in public why put the onus on everyone else to avoid looking at it? That's not something you can control but avoiding using the light is entirely within your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I used an Airzound for a while, it was somewhat effective but I stopped using it in the end because I got tired of spending so much time charging lights, GoPro, having all the waterproof kit ready etc. It was becoming a chore getting ready every day.

The biggest issues are people pulling out in front of you on a roundabout or taxis skimming past you in a bus lane.

Majority of the close calls I've had on a bike won't be changed by a horn or any lights.

So while a horn is useful for inattentive drivers it won't stop people being dickheads. Same with the car, I've used it to warn people drifting in my lane a few times or about to pull out on me but majority of instances it wouldn't stop someone being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I used an Airzound for a while, it was somewhat effective but I stopped using it in the end because I got tired of spending so much time charging lights, GoPro, having all the waterproof kit ready etc. It was becoming a chore getting ready every day.

The biggest issues are people pulling out in front of you on a roundabout or taxis skimming past you in a bus lane.

Majority of the close calls I've had on a bike won't be changed by a horn or any lights.

So while a horn is useful for inattentive drivers it won't stop people being dickheads. Same with the car, I've used it to warn people drifting in my lane a few times or about to pull out on me but majority of instances it wouldn't stop someone being stupid.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's not going to stop drivers being assholes. I've being giving it some consideration and think it would be of no benefit. Like there's no point blowing a driver out of it if they've already pulled out in front of you or zip close by you.

I mainly cycle in heavy traffic so there definitely would be a temptation to use it to act the bollocks and beep at drivers for the smallest indiscretion too. :D

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Thats a very cold and crude comment. These fits can just happen to succeptible people without warning who are going about their day without a care in the world. So many factors are involved and someone can be fit free for years and have one out of the blue. It happened my nephew out of the blue and it very nearly had serious consequences for him, his parents and all that knew him.

For someone so well versed in evolution, I hope your genes are better that your compassion and consideration of others. If something is dangerous to use in public why put the onus on everyone else to avoid looking at it? That's not something you can control but avoiding using the light is entirely within your control.

I actually suffer from epilepsy and have done since birth, so I have the experience of living with this condition. My "crude comment" was aimed at the moral high-ground types that responded to my previous post. Some of my earlier posts were about using a bright cycling light 4 inches long and its ability to enhance my safety, period. However the moral high-ground type throws the condition of epilepsy into the debate. I have to avoid nightclubs with such intense lighting alright, however it is extremely unlikely such a light as this would trigger an attack unless you strapped it to your face. Please remember I use this light on a daily basis & have never suffered a episode as a result and wouldn't put myself at risk, even though I lack self confidence according to Swiss Toni.

However to make a comparison with, and introduce a disability such as epilepsy into the debate is sickening. The current infestation of moral high-ground types seems to be somewhat more prevalent on this cycling forum. Interesting comments may contribute something constructive or a normal such as a bright light can be dazzling or this product is better etc,, but to knowingly introduce a disability to feed an individuals self serving need to be self righteous, and feed ones own need to pick holes is a sad, and says more out the individual posting than me. Anyway its a great light & I highly recommend it.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's not going to stop drivers being assholes. I've being giving it some consideration and think it would be of no benefit. Like there's no point blowing a driver out of it if they've already pulled out in front of you or zip close by you.

I mainly cycle in heavy traffic so there definitely would be a temptation to use it to act the bollocks and beep at drivers for the smallest indiscretion too. :D

Do you ever use the bell much or shout to warn others?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am not a fan of the Knog lights as they tend to be powerful but unfocused. Originally you described the light as strobing, which the light you pictured (the cobber right?), I wouldn't call it a strobing light, more a pulsating one (if I have the light right). It is actually pretty effective as loads of people think it is an emergency vehicle even though the light is not blue. My only issue with it is that it is unfocused, so I don't think you would get as good a view of the road as I would with a proper front light. This may be a case of the rider though as I would tip along at a handy pace.
    Basically, if you don't have pointed up in the air, and angled slightly wrong, your likely to dazzle yourself as anyone else, a decent see me light but not a great see the road light considering the price of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Used a horn to stop a car that was about to reverse out in front of me on an elevated cycle track. Lightest tap, he stopped dead, on I go.

NB: two headlights on the bike.

• Advertisement

Do you ever use the bell much or shout to warn others?

I would use the bell a bit alright to alert pedestrians to my presence incase they looked like they were going to step out.

I only tend to shout post incident. :o

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am not a fan of the Knog lights as they tend to be powerful but unfocused. Originally you described the light as strobing, which the light you pictured (the cobber right?), I wouldn't call it a strobing light, more a pulsating one (if I have the light right). It is actually pretty effective as loads of people think it is an emergency vehicle even though the light is not blue. My only issue with it is that it is unfocused, so I don't think you would get as good a view of the road as I would with a proper front light. This may be a case of the rider though as I would tip along at a handy pace.
    Basically, if you don't have pointed up in the air, and angled slightly wrong, your likely to dazzle yourself as anyone else, a decent see me light but not a great see the road light considering the price of it.

Yes its the cobber light. Now you mention it its not focused at all. I cycle in the city on well lit roads so that helps. It is expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

homer911 wrote: »
    What do you shout? I've settled on yelling "BIKE!" as its quick to shout and easy to shout loud
    I usually shout "****!", "****!", "****!", or if there's time, "Jesus ****ing Christ!"

De language outta dem cycalists, Joe...
    I usually shout "HELLO!!" I used to scream abuse but would be worried one of these idiots would take it personally and attack me.
    I purchased one after getting knocked down on my bike. I have had it 6 months, it has saved me innumerable times.
    this sounds really odd, 6 months and has saved you "innumerable times". If you had not got it would you have been hit "innumerable times" or what are you getting at? if the horn had failed just one of these many times would you not have been "saved"? I'm genuinely interested to hear what you are getting up to. Have you had many incidents in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rubadub wrote: »
    ....this sounds really odd, 6 months and has saved you "innumerable times". If you had not got it would you have been hit "innumerable times" or what are you getting at? if the horn had failed just one of these many times would you not have been "saved"? I'm genuinely interested to hear what you are getting up to. Have you had many incidents in the past?
    Careful now - you might be accused of taking the high moral ground.:D

.... the moral high-ground types... .....the moral high-ground type...... ..... current infestation of moral high-ground types....

More like an infestation of special needs cyclists who cant/ wont ride properly.
    A higher moral ground and a higher roadcraft standard are not the same thing, but one will follow the other.

Snowflakes on two wheels. I guess it was only a matter of time before these woke lefties usurped the humble bicycle as their cause du jour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How have we gone from a horn as a safety device to snow flakes? This isn't a bike thread on the motors forum...

Not everyone is the same, anyone doing any sort of regular mileage in 6 months could easily need a horn. Nothing to do with them being the issue. Could be a bad junction or a slight bend where people drift in their lane or a place where cars will want to cut into the bus lane while sitting in traffic. Used by horn in the Nangor Road a few times with success, surprisingly.

There's absolutely no doubting a horn is useful, but it won't stop people being dickheads so it won't entirely cut out the hazards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How have we gone from a horn as a safety device to snow flakes? This isn't a bike thread on the motors forum...

Not everyone is the same, anyone doing any sort of regular mileage in 6 months could easily need a horn. Nothing to do with them being the issue. Could be a bad junction or a slight bend where people drift in their lane or a place where cars will want to cut into the bus lane while sitting in traffic. Used by horn in the Nangor Road a few times with success, surprisingly.

There's absolutely no doubting a horn is useful, but it won't stop people being dickheads so it won't entirely cut out the hazards.

Check out the username.
    Will be gone quicker than one of the aforementioned snowflakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Since many people don't feel the need for a horn, there must be a difference in cycling technique that renders one useless, or useful.

I have never felt the need for a horn. If I had one I'd probably find a reason to use it, although my motorbike has a horn, I don't use it, ever.

I don't think the world needs more people honking at each other.

It's the same kind of debate as with people who claim they need strobe lighting. I think they're idiots, but it's only my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

Snowflakes on two wheels. I guess it was only a matter of time before these woke lefties usurped the humble bicycle as their cause du jour.

hBB8CC0AC

More like an infestation of special needs cyclists who cant/ wont ride properly.
    A higher moral ground and a higher roadcraft standard are not the same thing, but one will follow the other.

Did you know your name is an anagram for Greeny Trump? Was this intentional?

I bet it was. You irascible scamp. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    Since many people don't feel the need for a horn, there must be a difference in cycling technique that renders one useless, or useful.

I have never felt the need for a horn. If I had one I'd probably find a reason to use it, although my motorbike has a horn, I don't use it, ever.

I don't think the world needs more people honking at each other.

It's the same kind of debate as with people who claim they need strobe lighting. I think they're idiots, but it's only my opinion.[/

Thanks for your opinion I think I’ve changed my mind and have come to the conclusion that the world would be a better place without people honking at each other, sounds like a Michael Jackson song, beautiful.

• Advertisement

Did you know your name is an anagram for Greeny Trump? Was this intentional?

I bet it was. You irascible scamp. :D

;)

PS: You can't hug a tree while riding a bike. Something we could all take a few moments to reflect on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2016-12-06-15.46.58-2.jpg

What's this? Looks like a cyclist transporting an Xmas tree from A to B. 

There's a lot to like here. This fellow has applied some problem solving ability to his circumstances, and come up with a practical, efficient solution. His bike handling skills are also pretty decent. He wouldn't have acquired these through wishful thinking. At a closer look he appears to have a grin of self satisfaction. If so, its well earned. 

You could say this photograph represents a triumph of practicality and self reliance , over wishy washy idealism. There is no evidence of victimhood here. He is not, for example, parked on the path phone in hand tweeting his outrage over the vendor not delivering his tree. 

Except it's not really a tree anymore, is it. No, its now an inert piece of biomass repurposed as a festive decorative object, that few people will want to hug ( except maybe magicbastarder, who would hug anything for a few thanks )

Good post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What's this? Looks like a cyclist transporting an Xmas tree from A to B. 

There's a lot to like here. This fellow has applied some problem solving ability to his circumstances, and come up with a practical, efficient solution. His bike handling skills are also pretty decent. He wouldn't have acquired these through wishful thinking. At a closer look he appears to have a grin of self satisfaction. If so, its well earned. 

You could say this photograph represents a triumph of practicality and self reliance , over wishy washy idealism. There is no evidence of victimhood here. He is not, for example, parked on the path phone in hand tweeting his outage over the vendor not delivering his tree. 

Except it's not really a tree anymore, is it. No, its now an inert piece of biomass repurposed as a festive decorative object, that few people will want to hug ( except maybe magicbastarder, who would hug anything for a few thanks )

Good post!

more commonly known as a Christmas Tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Nice to see a fully restored Notre Dame... Oh, its an old pic, and none other than DC Rainmaker (aka Ray Maker) pre his move to Amsterdam?

I wonder what bike related things he is getting for Christmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

When necessary, I shout OI! - it's quick and easy to shout very loudly without hurting your throat/vocal chords and it's instantly recognised as a warning.

I had been know to use foul language in the heat of the moment (adrenaline rush), but it doesn't help one's cause, no matter how 'wrong' the other party is (and can induce road rage in others), so I've trained myself to shout WAKE UP!, which is neutral, non-threatening and sadly, is most often what the other party needs to do...

PS: In my early teens, I had a Morris Oxford horn and two 6v motorbike batteries on my bike - a bit heavy, but brilliant for waking up dozy 1980's Dublin drivers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Maybe try this?

A sharp whistle will do the job with pedestrians.

Shouting is best for cyclists on the wrong side of the lane.

No point in shouting at cars. Best to use brakes instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If there is time to see a hazard, blow the horn, the driver of the car hear it, them to take evasive action or stop, I feel there is likely time for you to stop or take evasive action yourself.

Also, I'd fear that this could make the driver expect the source of the noise is a car and their panicked reaction could be to fixate on cars and possible ignore you completely or worse, drive in to you as they seek to avoid who they thought was the source of the noise.

Blowing the horn during deceleration. Seconds are vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭cletus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

No, that's Anne Stevenson. Her great grandfather on her mother's side first patented the air powered klaxon in 1908.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To bring things back on topic,

I had been using the AirZound and it was great, but two have leaked and I'm not going for a third.

From experience it needs to found like a car horn or people don't stop in their tracks when driving, so the hornit is out. Bells are fine for pedestrians but they don't work very well with cars.

The airzound def saved me a few times, but the https://loudbicycle.com/ is fairly expensive.

I'm using a cargobike so storage for a battery etc isn't a concern, anyone have any suggestions for using a car horn I could buy. Seems to work out much cheaper to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not sure of the need for them? Is it a case of a solution to a problem that didn't exist? Can someone explain? I'm struggling to think of a situation in my years of cycling that a horn would have helped. If their use in cars is anything to go by, they'll just reinforce the perceived motorist -v- cyclist war.

I agree and it's also illegal to use a horn or similar device while cycling on public places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Funny, few months back I reported a driver who did a dangerous overtake and I sounded my Airzound in the video.

Gardai heard the airzound, saw the airzound on the bike when he arrived to my house and made zero mention about it. I actually commented that it was usually louder but it was running out of air. 😂

His concern was the driver.

As I've said its saved me in several situations where it stopped a motorist dead in their tracks. A bell wouldn't have in a million years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Most Gardai seem to lack a grasp of the detail of traffic laws as it applies to cyclists, including this issue, the new dangerous overtaking of a cyclist FPN offence that came in around 2018, even basics like helmets and hiviz.

That's fine, if its saved you from something then great. But I'd hate to see them become common place or endorsed as a safety measure. Good road sense, appropriate speed, braking, indicating, awareness of traffic around you etc. is what should be pushed. The level of ignorance of these elements I see on my daily commute is staggering. Whether its the lad with the builders vest thrown over a backpack but no rear light, or the fellas who breeze through red lights at junctions, blast through pedestrian crossings, hug the kerb, hop on footpaths to skip traffic/ lights, squeeze between buses/ trucks and the kerb. The last thing I need is for cyclists like that to have airhorns on their bikes.

The argument against horns seems fairly weak (outside of the legal side), by the same logic cars shouldn't have horns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you know what piece of legislation this is under?

I'm curious to see how they define it.

seems to date back to 1963

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0524/1051381-cycling/

Outdated, a bell is fine for pedestrians and I have one on the bike anyway. But its useless with anything else.

What I find interesting is this https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel-and-recreation/cycling/cycling-offences/

n addition to lights, your bike must also have:

• A bell, which can be heard from a reasonable distance

In a busy city environment you could certainly argue that a bell most certainly can't be heard from a reasonable distance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Exempt if your bike is adapted for racing. What type of racing etc. is thankfully not gone into in any detail but a good one to know should you get stopped and asked by a member of the AGS or a "concerned" citizen.

I have actually had someone give out to me for no bell after they gave out they couldn't speed to a red light because I was there.

By the same logic pedestrians should have horns?

It's a false equivalence. The reasons why horns were developed for cars is very different to the arguments for their use on bikes. Cars are bigger, faster, less manoeuvrable, with a smaller field of vision and capable much greater destruction in the event of a collision. Or to flip the argument - by the same logic bikes should carry reg plates and require insurance.

I've never wished I had a horn on my bike. I've one collision with a car and one near collision. In neither case would a horn (or a bell for that matter) have made any difference. And the vast majority of horn use by motorists is really just misuse - the punishment beep/ bullying beep/ f**k you beep.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've found the specific legislation thanks to the above posts, thanks...

The reason I wanted to check (and has since been pointed out) was that the likes of my Garmin computer and my Cycliq cameras make an audible warning notification beep which if I were to fit onto my hybrid would potentially put me foul of the law (were someone to be that anal about it). Maybe I should make it a racing hybrid 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can see the merit in loud horns, such as the one used by Vine in this case;

• Advertisement

SI 190/1963

93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

EDIT: Apologies - I see now that it has already been answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wonder would a bit of a loop hole be fitting the electronic bell to yourself rather than the 'pedal cycle'?

It doesn't specifically say you cannot use an electronic horn, it just says you can't have one fitted to your bike when you're using it in a public space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭getoutadodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭getoutadodge

With cars in extreme cases I find a kick works quite well but .....sparingly i.e. only when absolutely necessary. Trucks and buses are another level. You can only lose life or limb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been half tempted to do that myself a few times with cars but am always afraid I'll inadvertently manage to destabilise myself and come off the bike in a hilarious own goal 😁

Some of the horns I hear on escooters aren't too offensive, more of Road Runner type 'MEEP MEEP' than a ground rumbling air horn.

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Advertisement
Advertisement