Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on kids shoes, buying from a .IE

Options
  • 03-12-2019 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Using sorel.ie I bought a pair of children's shoes for €48.99.
    The order included a €10.26 sales tax.

Am assuming this is a VAT rate applied in some originating country like France etc.

Given I used a .ie domain, should it not be 0% rated?

Got onto them and they replied with "that is the legal VAT rate for this kind of good, which is applied automatically to your order."

Have replied with a link to the Revenue page that details the 0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they are based in switzerland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they're selling more than 70k here they need a VAT reg here and have to charge Irish rates. I also don't think the cross border rules are the same for Switzerland with its extremely loose relationship with the EU (in Schengen but not in the Customs Union, etc) anyway.

Ask for their VAT number and if its an IE number, they're charging the wrong rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Cool, thanks for the info folks.

Result.

Told them I wanted the Irish rate applied as I bought from the .ie.

"We have forwarded the information to our legal department and we will come back to you as soon as possible. "

followed up by a

"We are very sorry about the misunderstanding. We will reimburse 10.26€ on your order. "

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Result.

Told them I wanted the Irish rate applied as I bought from the .ie.

As already pointed out and for future reference please don't assume. Dot ie means a company is based in Ireland or even that you will be charged Irish vat rates on such a site.

Its just part of a domain name, nothing more.

• Advertisement

Are you saying there is no difference in buying from amazon.co.uk v amazon.de in terms of VAT and other charges that apply?

IEDR: "For a .ie you need to prove a link to the country. Every .ie applicant’s identity is checked and validated at the point of registration. "

So I think I am safe in my assumption that buying from a .ie from a brand that has a bricks & mortar shop here should mean local rates apply.

I've gotten onto the CCPC about this so I'll await their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you saying there is no difference in buying from amazon.co.uk v amazon.de in terms of VAT and other charges that apply?

No difference
    IEDR: "For a .ie you need to prove a link to the country. Every .ie applicant’s identity is checked and validated at the point of registration. "

you have to have a link to the country, you dont have to be based here. They dont even have to be based in the EU. If they are selling below the minimum limit for vat registration they dont need to be vat registered.
    So I think I am safe in my assumption that buying from a .ie from a brand that has a bricks & mortar shop here should mean local rates apply. I've gotten onto the CCPC about this so I'll await their response.

I'm not sure what you expect the CCPC to do about a website based in Switzerland?

Advertisement