Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Cocktails are you drinking lately?

Options
  • 08-01-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Myself and Mrs Appletart (let's call her The Tart for short) have a tradition where when we down tools on a friday we mix a couple of cocktails.

We have a few on rotation the recipes for which we've cobbled together over the last year or so

Bourbon Jam
    • 50ml Bourbon
    • 25ml Raspberry Jam (seedless if possible)
    • 5ml Maple Syrup
    • Into a shaker with ice
    • drain into a tall glass rimmed with sugar & lemon zest and a few ice cubes and top off with about 100ml Tonic

Espresso Martini
    • 35ml Tia Maria / Kahlua
    • 25ml Vodka
    • 35ml Espresso shot
    • Into a shaker with ice
    • Drain into martini glasses and garnish with 3 coffee beans

Moscow Mule
    • 50ml Vodka
    • 3ml Lime Juice
    • 100ml Ginger Beer (not ginger ale, you want the kick)
    • All into a glass over ice, stir and serve

Dark & Stormy
    This is the same as a Mule but with Dark Rum instead of Vodka
    • 50ml Dark Rum
    • 3ml Lime Juice
    • 100ml Ginger Beer

Gin Buck (with a twist)
    Again, a twist on a basic Mule recipe (I actually think the Buck came first)
    • 50ml Gin
    • 25ml Marmalade
    • Shake these with Ice
    • Drain into a glass with ice
    • 100ml Ginger Beer stir and serve

Irish Bitter Buck
    Another Mule twist
    • 50ml Irish Whiskey
    • 3 dashes of bitters
    • 100ml Ginger Beer

Any comments on the above?

We're always on the lookout for more too, so please add your own!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BLACK BUSH BASIL CRUSH

Ingredients
    • 50ml Black Bush
    • 20ml sugar syrup
    • 20ml fresh lime juice
    • 6 large basil leaves
    • 5-8 dashes of a hot sauce of your choosing
    • Ice

Method

1. Add basil to shaker, press lightly down on the leaves with a long, thin object.
    2. Add lime juice, sugar syrup, hot sauce and Black Bush (in that order).
    3. Add ice to shaker and shake hard for 20 seconds.
    4. Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice, and serve.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/two-bushmills-irish-whiskey-cocktails-19414784

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

like Frank's or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

50ml of Bushmills Original
    25ml fresh lemon juice
    15ml sugar syrup
    2 dashes Angostura bitters
    1 whole egg white

Pour 50ml of Bushmills Original into a shaker.
    Add 25ml fresh lemon juice, 15ml sugar syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters and 1 whole egg white.
    Shake together.
    Add ice then shake again.
    Strain over cubed ice into a rocks glass and garnish with lemon peel.

Lazily sometimes I just put all in together with ice and shake instead of the 2 seperate shakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

odyssey06 wrote: »
    BLACK BUSH BASIL CRUSH

Ingredients
    • 50ml Black Bush
    • 20ml sugar syrup
    • 20ml fresh lime juice
    • 6 large basil leaves
    • 5-8 dashes of a hot sauce of your choosing
    • Ice

Method

1. Add basil to shaker, press lightly down on the leaves with a long, thin object.
    2. Add lime juice, sugar syrup, hot sauce and Black Bush (in that order).
    3. Add ice to shaker and shake hard for 20 seconds.
    4. Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice, and serve.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/two-bushmills-irish-whiskey-cocktails-19414784

Thought this was going to be terrible but turned out a favourite of mine now.

that's an old fash right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

be more of a whiskey sour, old fashioned don't have lime juice.

Inspired by 'Captain Jack' Highball
    (which is Captain Morgans mixed with Jack Daniels)
    • 35 ml basic Irish blended whiskey
    • 15 ml Havana Club
    • 5 ml Lime Juice
    • 3 dashes Agnostura bitters or 5 ml orange liqueur
    • Ice
    • Top with dash ginger ale & cola in ratio 1:2

be more of a whiskey sour, old fashioned don't have lime juice.

heh, thanks, I did mean this and go mixed up :)

like Frank's or similar?

I assume so, I still have the bottle of Rebel Chilli from the original Bushmills tasting event so haven't branched out yet...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My preferred twist on the White Russian:

Equal measure of Vodka, Kahlua and Bailey's over ice in a rocks glass, topped up with milk and gently stirred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

ciaran76 wrote: »
    50ml of Bushmills Original
    25ml fresh lemon juice
    15ml sugar syrup
    2 dashes Angostura bitters
    1 whole egg white

Pour 50ml of Bushmills Original into a shaker.
    Add 25ml fresh lemon juice, 15ml sugar syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters and 1 whole egg white.
    Shake together.
    Add ice then shake again.
    Strain over cubed ice into a rocks glass and garnish with lemon peel.

Lazily sometimes I just put all in together with ice and shake instead of the 2 seperate shakes.

stated drinking these courtesy of the bushmills kit (discussed on boards) on xmas morning. Into the folks next door for dins and kept going. Was scolded and put to bed at 11.30pm xmas eve apparently. Slept like a small child! :):D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old Fashioned wouldn't have citrus juice, basil or hot sauce; would have bitters. Bitter isn't sour, as another poster quite firmly points out when this comes up :pac:

edit: based on timings you were probably replying to the recipe above which is a lot closer but still has an egg white so not an Old Fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Big fan of Moscow Mules; one of the only common cocktails that's hard to go wrong with in my eyes.

Got really into Negronis over summer lockdown last year. They're divisive but insanely moreish if you like it.

Equal parts Sweet Vermouth, Campari and Gin into a shaker with ice, STIR and then strain into a glass with ice cubes. Garnish with twist of orange rind. Amazin.

For a more winter suited version, switch gin for bourbon (maybe 1.25 parts compared to the others) and now you have yourself a Boulevardier. Also fantastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've been making Sweet Manhattans at home mostly for the past few months but only got some cocktail cherries recently. Really balances the drink off perfectly, that tiny bit of extra sweetness from the syrup on the cherries.

60ml bourbon, 30ml sweet vermouth, dash of Angostura bitters. Stir with ice, strain into glass, garnish with cocktail cherry. I got "maraschino style" ones in Fallon & Byrne. Close enough!

Made a good few Sidecars over Christmas but haven't gotten that one down yet, still not tasting close to as good as ones I've had in bars. Must keep trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Twee. wrote: »

Made a good few Sidecars over Christmas but haven't gotten that one down yet, still not tasting close to as good as ones I've had in bars. Must keep trying :)

Just 3 ingredients, no?
    Have you tried 2 Cognac, 1 Cointreau, 1 lemon juice?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Picked up a book called Cocktail Codex, makes for some great lazy weekend reading. It asserts that there are six core cocktail types, and devotes pages to deconstructing why they work, how flavours combine, with lot of recipes, with lots more on glassware, techniques (different ways to make syrups, infusing spirits...).

Has inspired me to put in a big order with Celtic Whiskey Shop, so Dry January is off to a flyer.

Just 3 ingredients, no?
    Have you tried 2 Cognac, 1 Cointreau, 1 lemon juice?

Yep just those three. I was using the Difford's recipe of 50ml cognac, 30ml Cointreau, 20ml lemon, but yeah reducing the Cointreau might be the way to go.

Has inspired me to put in a big order with Celtic Whiskey Shop, so Dry January is off to a flyer.

Dry martinis, dry manhattans... Loads of options for Dry January :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was making frozen margheritas over Xmas.
    Tequila, contreau, lime, small bit of sugar, ice and throw in the blender thingy. Easy and gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I like a White Russian. Just pure simple to make and sip on an evening for a change.

Pop some ice in a glass.
    3 shots Kalhua
    2 shots Vodka
    Top with milk, stir and enjoy.

Missus took a liking to Mai Tai cocktail in Vegas and I've been unable to replicate it from following recipes online. If anyone has a good recipe I'd be happy to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Twee. wrote: »
    I've been making Sweet Manhattans at home mostly for the past few months but only got some cocktail cherries recently. Really balances the drink off perfectly, that tiny bit of extra sweetness from the syrup on the cherries.

60ml bourbon, 30ml sweet vermouth, dash of Angostura bitters. Stir with ice, strain into glass, garnish with cocktail cherry. I got "maraschino style" ones in Fallon & Byrne. Close enough!

I've been making my own for the last couple of years.

My local Dunnes Stores are currently selling a big pack of fresh cherries for €5.

I like to use equal parts brandy, brown sugar and water,
    First make a sugar syrup by dissolving the sugar in water by slowly warming and stirring. Add the brandy along with a split vanilla pod and a couple of cinnamon sticks. Stir together.

Sterilize a couple of jars by heating in the oven at 160deg for 10 mins. Trim the cherry stalks to about half an inch long, add to the jar and pour over the syrup. Leave it for a month.
    It'll keep for ages in the fridge.

I use them mostly in Whiskey Sours and Manhattans.

I would have always preferred Martinis but I find I am getting more into the whiskey based cocktails recently.

• Advertisement

Was making frozen margheritas over Xmas.
    Tequila, contreau, lime, small bit of sugar, ice and throw in the blender thingy. Easy and gorgeous.

Highly recommend throwing in some raspberries for a fruity drink, tastes like holidays :D I bought a blender in Lockdown 1 for "smoothies". Not one smoothie was made.
    I've been making my own for the last couple of years.

Never even considered making my own, thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Big fan of Moscow Mules; one of the only common cocktails that's hard to go wrong with in my eyes.

Got really into Negronis over summer lockdown last year. They're divisive but insanely moreish if you like it.

Equal parts Sweet Vermouth, Campari and Gin into a shaker with ice, STIR and then strain into a glass with ice cubes. Garnish with twist of orange rind. Amazin.

For a more winter suited version, switch gin for bourbon (maybe 1.25 parts compared to the others) and now you have yourself a Boulevardier. Also fantastic.

I've recently discovered a twist on the Negroni called a Frozen Negroni - you feel like you're on a Italian balcony in August while watching Netflix in lockdown January.

1 part of Gin, Sweet Vermouth and Campari, 3 parts Orange Juice and a small dash of sugar syrup.

Add the mixture along with a some ice cubes to a blender, blend together and pour into a large old-fashioned glass, garnish with an orange wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Find it hard to beat a good Whiskey or Godfather Sour. They really are great.

I've been mixing them up by trying different brands of bitters, but in general, it's one of the cocktails I just kept coming back too.

Made some Mint Juleps over Christmas and they were lovely, but I find it take A LOT of supermarket mint to replicate what you'd get in a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

One I discovered over Christmas:

30ml Mezcal
    30ml Aperol
    30ml lime juice
    about 10-15ml Ancho Reyes liqueur
    about 10-15ml sugar syrup depending on how sweet you like it.

Throw it all into a cocktail shaker and server on the rocks. If you're into Mezcal this is lovely and has a bit of spice from the Ancho Reyes.

I wonder would anyone have any ideas, maybe slightly left of field, for the following selection

Irish Whiskey
    Vodka
    Gin
    Brandy
    Dry Vermouth
    Cointreau
    Bourbon
    Tequila

Bitters

Tonic
    Ginger Ale
    Ginger Beer
    Soda Water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

A menu proposal from a few years ago. Some stuff might be harder to find but ye might get some inspiration. None of the cocktails are mine (apart from the lavender syrup), but I did name the G&T's. :o :pac: The Sakura Sour is amazing if you can get the bitters.

I wonder would anyone have any ideas, maybe slightly left of field, for the following selection

Irish Whiskey
    Vodka
    Gin
    Brandy
    Dry Vermouth
    Cointreau
    Bourbon
    Tequila

Bitters

Tonic
    Ginger Ale
    Ginger Beer
    Soda Water

I'd be tempted to try something like whiskey - brandy - cointreau as a base in a ratio 3:2:1 and then over ice topped with ginger ale or soda water.

Tequila and tonic is a popula combo.

If you could pick up cranberry juice, cocktail cherries & sweet\red vermouth
    you could make a cosmopolitan based on vodka and a manhattan based on bourbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Made a Stinger (Cognac, Creme de Menthe, simple syrup) and a Sazerac (Rye, Cognac, simple syrup & peychaud’s bitters — didn’t have the absinthe) yesterday evening.

The Stinger was lovely and refreshing, would make a great after dinner drink. Sazerac was very moreish, could sip away at a few over the course of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

dobman88 wrote: »
    I like a White Russian. Just pure simple to make and sip on an evening for a change.

Pop some ice in a glass.
    3 shots Kalhua
    2 shots Vodka
    Top with milk, stir and enjoy.

Just made this using your instructions.

Absolutely delicious.

Gona work my way through this thread over the next while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

My 3 go to at home would be an old fashioned, Daiquiri or a Tom Collins.

For a Tom Collins

3 parts gin
    2 parts Lemon juice
    1 part simple syrup
    Serve in a high ball or similar over ice and top with soda water

Daiquiris are so easy and refreshing
    Rum
    Lime juice
    Simple syrup
    Shaken a served over ice

Gonna have to have a couple tonight.

Advertisement