Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The working from home craic got me wondering through Youtube. As well as those mentioned previously, I keep an eye on a Canadian lad by the name of Mike Mitchell
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRDywryGtWBmac-O4AReYpA/videos

He has a serious size farm, haven't heard the total size. I know a video I seen today where he was sowing around wet spots that was skipped first time around and he expected to get 4000 more acres just from those wet spots :eek: Biggest field is 5000 acres I recall. It's all land, no sheds. Land and bins!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

came across vids last night from a girl from a family that moved to france from Galway in 06 called something "la forge" farm.interesting to see an irish take on things abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'll stick with I farm we farm, support local.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

K.G. wrote: »
    came across vids last night from a girl from a family that moved to france from Galway in 06 called something "la forge" farm.interesting to see an irish take on things abroad

That's interesting. I see videos from that channel recommended but never watched any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A fan of the Funky Farmer.

I like the light hearted banter of his videos. Good to watch with a cup of tea ;)

https://m.youtube.com/c/thefunkyfarmer/about?disable_polymer=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭youllbemine

Favourite is IFarmWeFarm for the quality of content and the pure positivity and can do attitude of Adrian. Also a big of Harry’s Farm. As mentioned above he is a great presenter which helps but I have a keen interest in no-till/min-till practices. Only thing is I know he only needs the farm to wipe its face.

Slightly away from the traditional stole of YouTube farmer mentioned above but Richard Perkins of Ridgedale Farm, Sweden is a pleasure to watch. He has a successful business with many fingers in many pies. Charles Dowding also for the small scale veg related content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Not farming exactly but Steves Small Engine Saloon is good for chainsaw strimmer repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Yea that girl and family in france is excellent some lovely land cattle and weather.....to buy land out there seemd so cheap ....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I watch Just A few Acres Farm. He is a small farmer in upstate New York rearing Dexter cattle and pigs on the family farm. He farms with old tractors and runs a tight ship. He reminds me of the the type of farming I grew up with in the north midlands. A lot of similarities with Irish farms.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JustaFewAcresFarm

Can't warm to Ifarmwefarm channel at all. Bit too perfect for me. Getting Ron Dennis washing the driveway gravel vibes puts me off any farmer youtubers to be honest.

South Sask Farmer is a fun channel. Makes videos for the enjoyment of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

corazon wrote: »
    I watch Just A few Acres Farm. He is a small farmer in upstate New York rearing Dexter cattle and pigs on the family farm. He farms with old tractors and runs a tight ship. He reminds me of the the type of farming I grew up with in the north midlands. A lot of similarities with Irish farms.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JustaFewAcresFarm

Yeah he came up in the dexter thread here recently. Have watched a good few of his videos. Interesting to see relatively small scale farming in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Hey everyone,

I started a thread in the woodcraft forum about woodworking YouTubers so I said I might start something similar here, As well as the woodworking video's I watch a good few farming ones as well

Main ones are

Farmer Phil

George Saunders

The Funky Farmer

Tom Pemberton Farm Life

Gerry6420

So what Farming Youtubers do you watch?

I signed up to a year for farm flix, the main problem with them is the sound is poor and you can hardly understand what there saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Gillespy wrote: »
    Ifarmwefarm .Bit too perfect for me.

LOL thats how I feel too! Another thing I noticed about is that he often asks for advice then does it his own way anyway.

But in saying all that I think its very good, he shares allot of info and its always interesting

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah he came up in the dexter thread here recently. Have watched a good few of his videos. Interesting to see relatively small scale farming in the US.

It's really nice countryside in that part of America. Not that different to here. Although it turns awful bleak in wintertime with the cold weather. No green any where.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I signed up to a year for farm flix, the main problem with them is the sound is poor and you can hardly understand what there saying.

Ya I found that too :D

Really strong accents

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

Not sure if anybody mentioned him already but this fella amazes me

https://www.youtube.com/c/HarmlessFarmerAndyDetwiler

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

maybe it's mentioned I enjoy this guy's videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpXhaDjep5p2Om3B2jZcV0g

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

What kind of a weekly in one are these YouTube's bringing in extra from YouTube? Like farmer Phil and i farm we farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

K.G. wrote: »

I like those too. he was working in a zinc mine and farming 9 acres in Galway in 2006, farmer wouldn't sell him a site to build his house unless he bought 9acres . He's farming 1300acres now in france, I was on the farm ten years ago so find it interesting now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAgsKB9pSv36y1jF0_4VN8Q

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

mengele wrote: »
    What kind of a weekly in one are these YouTube's bringing in extra from YouTube? Like farmer Phil and i farm we farm?

Farmer Phil did a video a few months ago, said he makes about 700 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I’ve been following Hayteam TV on YouTube for the last few months, an enjoyable watch - and some smashing fastracs as well!!

• Site Banned Posts: 32 ShlugMurphy

Stumbled upon Farmer Phil a few months back, initially enjoyed it but got sick of the poor mouth "subscribe as this is what pays the bills" kinda yap. They're filthy rich, they're fooling no one acting like they're hard up. Buying new gear every second week. If they were hard up they wouldn't be buying a new agitator just because!

iFarm WeFarm was another I stumbled upon. A few good videos but the videos are unwatchable because they're all clickbait and made for content rather than farming chat/activities. An example was when he was putting a loader on the Case "I have the loader on, I hope she can handle it and it doesn't fail, I'll have a video up, I don't know what will happen!". Stop talking ****e lad, you know what's gonna happen.

Also I have a feeling the reviews of equipment aren't genuine either. I sense he goes to his local salesman and he gets money knocked off the equipment for favourable reviews.

einn32 wrote: »

Phil is good to watch but he is taking no wage for his work just what he makes off youtube according to him. It will be hard to sustain the hours he puts in and the hours to edit the videos for very little money.

How can you believe this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Stumbled upon Farmer Phil a few months back, initially enjoyed it but got sick of the poor mouth "subscribe as this is what pays the bills" kinda yap. They're filthy rich, they're fooling no one acting like they're hard up. Buying new gear every second week. If they were hard up they wouldn't be buying a new agitator just because!

iFarm WeFarm was another I stumbled upon. A few good videos but the videos are unwatchable because they're all clickbait and made for content rather than farming chat/activities. An example was when he was putting a loader on the Case "I have the loader on, I hope she can handle it and it doesn't fail, I'll have a video up, I don't know what will happen!". Stop talking ****e lad, you know what's gonna happen.

Also I have a feeling the reviews of equipment aren't genuine either. I sense he goes to his local salesman and he gets money knocked off the equipment for favourable reviews.

New gear every week you say? An agitator? hardly 100k worth. Don't they mix alot of slurry? I reckon if one was mixing lots of slurry, a new agitator would be a good purchase.
    Have you beef with him for some other reason?

Would make around 1k a month cash.

Then add in all the sponsorships and free equipment, and it all adds up.

New gear every week you say? An agitator? hardly 100k worth. Don't they mix alot of slurry? I reckon if one was mixing lots of slurry, a new agitator would be a good purchase.
    Have you beef with him for some other reason?

He said himself they didn't need a new one, just someone traded it in and they decided to buy it.

He doesn't make any money farming apparantly. Where's the money going for the contracting alone, never mind the cattle.

No beef, I am giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I agree with slug. what cant get is how they have time for all the cattle and the contracting he said there one time they have about 28 tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

What's gas with farmer Phil's farm is the fact they can leave that 6290 parked up in the shed so long with out fixing it. That tractor is still worth 20k and its looks the cleanest of their 6290s. There's no panic to get it going whereas If one of my tractors packed up I would have it fixed within a month.

I enjoy watching father Phil. He is very handy with the spanners and knows those Masseys inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

What's gas with farmer Phil's farm is the fact they can leave that 6290 parked up in the shed so long with out fixing it. That tractor is still worth 20k and its looks the cleanest of their 6290s. There's no panic to get it going whereas If one of my tractors packed up I would have it fixed within a month.

I enjoy watching father Phil. He is very handy with the spanners and knows those Masseys inside out.

Young Phil doesn't seem to have a clue about fixing tractors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Odelay

Would make around 1k a month cash.

Then add in all the sponsorships and free equipment, and it all adds up.

You seem to know an awful lot. Why dont you do your own channel and share it here?

Advertisement