Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surface Pro 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I got the 256 model. I definitely wouldn't settle with the 64GB. 128 is minimum really.

BUT you could get a cheap microSD card to store any extra files on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

TBi wrote: »
    I got the 256 model. I definitely wouldn't settle with the 64GB. 128 is minimum really.

BUT you could get a cheap microSD card to store any extra files on.

I went with 256GB as well and 8GB of RAM as you are definitely future proofing your investment! I went for this because I had money to spend thankfully and wanted to invest it well!

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    I went with 256GB as well and 8GB of RAM

Actually i forgot about that. The 256GB model has 8GB ram vs 4GB in the 64/128 models. Something else to think about. Another reason i went with the 256GB.

TBi wrote: »
    Actually i forgot about that. The 256GB model has 8GB ram vs 4GB in the 64/128 models. Something else to think about. Another reason i went with the 256GB.

It's definitely worth it in my opinion!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I think I'll go for the 128GB/i5 option. I can't justify spending any more. I'll have to get the SD card.

Has anyone got the docking station? It looks very tempting. One USB port isn't enough.

I'd spend the money on more memory before I'd spend it on the docking station. You'll use the memory more...

You can always get a cheap USB hub for 20 quid if you really need extra ports and you could lug that around. Surface 3 has Bluetooth though so you can use that for mice/external speakers if you are worried about USB ports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

So 6 months later how are people finding it? I've sold my 1st Gen Pro and probably gonna get the i5 version at some point before Xmas. Any issues or annoying issues? how's wifi

I'm using mine all the time. Biggest issue i find is that it isn't as comfortable on the lap as a laptop.

Otherwise loving the versatility of it and it works great as a giant tablet for surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

"Mine" is actually my wife's but I borrow it quite a bit and don't use my Nexus 7 much now. Speedwise, the Surface blows it out of the water(*) and reading PDFs and comics on it is a joy compared to the laggy Nexus. So far there's been just enough Metro apps to keep me happy and I've most things I want. And of course I can switch to Desktop mode anyway if I want. Even typing on the screen is great; I find I make far less errors than on any device. We haven't bought the add-on keyboard yet as we have a Logitech k480 bluetooth keyboard that works fine with it. Neither do I find it over-large when using it as a tablet.

(*) Sure it's much more expensive than the 7 but not that much more compared to the 9 - I was thinking of buying the latter but don't see the point now.

I think it's a really great device; I just wish MS had better store displays. I think if people got a chance to try it out they would opt for them.

P.

Gonna pick mine up Sunday now. Found a guy on adverts selling the i5 128GB version with a type keyboard for 780. So going all in :)

Just gotta get to Waterford to pick it up lol.

• Advertisement

Got mine. Some move from the original. Love the new aspect ratio and screen size, makes reading websites a treat. Screen colours and contrast is great too for movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ablelocks

using mine all the time - it has replaced a beast of a laptop. all my client docs on onedrive, slowly getting used to using onenote instead of pen and paper.

i've the i3 64gb with a 64gb card. storage not really an issue anymore now that onedrive is unlimited.

it works very well with chromecast - streamed the all-blacks game to the tv on saturday.

using drawboard to annotate pdf's

onenote to take notes at meetings and training courses has worked v well. the writing recognition is beyond magic - my handwriting is terrible and it still gets 90% of what i write.

really need to find and do some online training to get the most out of it, but so far really happy with it.

no issues with it technically - everything just works. battery life is good too.

I had 64gb last time and found it to be lacking with storage after installing a couple of games. Managed to get around but this is the reason why I went with 128 this time.

Plus using the 64gb memory card from the old surface

ablelocks wrote: »
    using mine all the time - it has replaced a beast of a laptop. all my client docs on onedrive, slowly getting used to using onenote instead of pen and paper.

i've the i3 64gb with a 64gb card. storage not really an issue anymore now that onedrive is unlimited.

it works very well with chromecast - streamed the all-blacks game to the tv on saturday.

using drawboard to annotate pdf's

onenote to take notes at meetings and training courses has worked v well. the writing recognition is beyond magic - my handwriting is terrible and it still gets 90% of what i write.

really need to find and do some online training to get the most out of it, but so far really happy with it.

no issues with it technically - everything just works. battery life is good too.

I have a Chromecast and a SP3 but I have no idea how to stream from the SP3 other than using Chrome to stream a tab! Is there a native app in the Windows Store??

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭ablelocks

madmoe wrote: »
    I have a Chromecast and a SP3 but I have no idea how to stream from the SP3 other than using Chrome to stream a tab! Is there a native app in the Windows Store??

Thanks,
    M

I don't think so - I'm just streaming from Chrome too. Although I did try popcorntime and that didn't work properly but I didn't try any trouble shooting or anything...

on another note, boom boom, I just discovered that onenote can search and find words in my handwriting. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it can search audio and video recordings for words too.

ablelocks wrote: »
    I don't think so - I'm just streaming from Chrome too. Although I did try popcorntime and that didn't work properly but I didn't try any trouble shooting or anything...

on another note, boom boom, I just discovered that onenote can search and find words in my handwriting. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it can search audio and video recordings for words too.

Happy days! I'm thrilled with my SP3 since getting it! I moved to France to teach English in September and it has truly been invaluable in helping me prepare and deliver my classes! When I want to kick back and watch a movie or some French TV it's my go to device as well ;-)

Cheers,
    M

When do people think the Surface Pro 4 will come out? All I'm reading are rumours at the moment.

If it comes out in the first quarter of 2015, then I think I'd prefer to wait for it than get the Pro 3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When do people think the Surface Pro 4 will come out? All I'm reading are rumours at the moment.

If it comes out in the first quarter of 2015, then I think I'd prefer to wait for it than get the Pro 3.

Once broadwell U series chips are out, I'd say it won't be long after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

I would imagine it will be released closer to Windows 10 release, maybe summer release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Surface Pro 3 was announced in May 20, 2014, and released June 20, 2014 - I wouldn't expect a Surface Pro 4 announcement until at least May this year, probably timed for release at the same time as Windows 10 (July, August 2015). It's true that the gap between Pro 1, 2 and 3 generations were shorter than 12 months, but MS were in a very rapid iteration cycle then in order to try and properly nail the device. Now that the Pro 3 has struck a chord and been extremely popular, I think they'll let it live for a while longer. Windows 10's release makes a perfect target for a new generation and puts them on a nice (and generally consumer friendly) 12 month refresh cycle.

I suspect also that the Surface RT will not see a 3rd generation, or if it will, it will be in that previously rumoured Mini form factor, as 10+ inch devices on Windows RT seems to have been a failed experiment, but with the merging of Windows Phone and Windows in Windows 10, there's still potential for "metro only" smaller form factor tablets.

And even if it comes out at the expected dates, do remember ms will probably make it available 2 or 3 months later after release. So is it worth the wait?

Edit. 2 or 3 months later in Ireland

And even if it comes out at the expected dates, do remember ms will probably make it available 2 or 3 months later after release. So is it worth the wait?

Probably not. I couldn't wait that long. My laptop definitely won't last that long. I think I'll get the Pro 3 as soon as I can.

Look at the bright side, there isn't a whole lot wrong with the Surface Pro 3, and unless they magically manage to cram a GPU into the Pro 4 (which seems unlikely), you'd be out a few blips of battery life and a little bit more performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

No, you don't but the surface for its tablet uses, there are too many cheaper,lighter options available. You buy the surface as a laptop,that can be used just as effectively as a tablet,therefore they should be bundled.

After months of talk, I finally ordered it. It's on the way. It says 7-9 days. I can't wait that long :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

After months of talk, I finally ordered it. It's on the way. It says 7-9 days. I can't wait that long :D

I had it after 4 from Microsoft. Ordered Sunday night had it Thursday morning.

Hey all,
    Just about to send mine back to be replaced :-( It has developed a clearly visible yellow line on the left hand side, looks like I'm not the only person it has happend to as well!!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfhardware/screen-variation-yellow-hazy-line-down-left-side/c87c9754-77e5-4269-852c-f83f751cf355

I'm annoyed and hope the next one fares better!!

Cheers,
    M

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I had it after 4 from Microsoft. Ordered Sunday night had it Thursday morning.

Ordered on Sunday and I'm posting on it now. The advantages of living in England.

It's a beautiful machine.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a mouse? I'm finding the touchpad very small and a little unresponsive at times.

What about the Arc Touch? Is it worth it?

Preferably bluetooth to free up the USB.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a mouse? I'm finding the touchpad very small and a little unresponsive at times.

I have the Arc Touch Surface edition and I could not recommend it enough!! It's absolutely fantastic and folds up perfectly for travelling! It goes everywhere my SP3 goes!

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote:
    I have the Arc Touch Surface edition and I could not recommend it enough!! It's absolutely fantastic and folds up perfectly for travelling! It goes everywhere my SP3 goes!

Sounds good. I can't find it on a site that I trust. It's sold out on the Microsoft suite and on Amazon. I've never heard of any of the other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

PaulieC wrote: »

I went mad about a year ago and splashed out on the arc touch bluetooth for my Surface 2. I'm glad I did.

I find I can use it for a couple of hours before the shape begins to get to my hand but other than that it is near perfect as you don't have to use up the USB slot with a transceiver and it folds really flat for easy storage.

Not Bluetooth but I'm using a hefty Logitech Gaming Mouse G602. You have to use a USB dongle to connect it, and it's not very travel friendly but you can use the thing for hours without any wrist pain.

I have it for about half a year and still haven't changed the original batteries that came with it. Works pretty much on any surface as well including glass tables. I try not to use the surface type cover touch pad as I find it terrible and the touch surface is irritating to my fingers.

The dongle itself is tiny as well. So don't have a massive thing sticking out.

Thanks for the help. I've bought the Arc bluetooth mouse for £42 on Amazon.

I am having a problem with downloading apps from the Store though. I've tried a few apps and they only ever get to the pending stage and then stall. I've updated and restarted, signed out and it hasn't made a difference. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone know how to sync the Calender (outlook.com/Surface app) with iCloud?

P.

Did you try adding icloud as an account? Do you get your iCloud mail on the surface?

I added my iCloud account to mail, as described here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-ecoms/icloud-email-on-wndows-81/4ed39f19-8201-47b2-9e22-c58f3eedfe3b

However, so far, no events (new or otherwise) from my iPhone have appeared on my Surface, or vice versa.

I don't see a way to add an iCloud account to the Calendar app.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone know how to fix the slow wifi issue on the SP3. I'm having this problem (loads of reports on the web about it) where the connection gets very slow over wifi. Not over a dongle though.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a spotify app in the store. Do you have to download a lot of such apps directly from the websites instead.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to fix the slow wifi issue on the SP3. I'm having this problem (loads of reports on the web about it) where the connection gets very slow over wifi. Not over a dongle though.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a spotify app in the store. Do you have to download a lot of such apps directly from the websites instead.

Not sure about the WiFi problems, it used to be slow to connect when i had a crappy router. Got a new ac router and everything is blazing fast.

For apps, no you can download apps from web or app store. I dont think theres a spotify app om windows store though.

You can use the https://play.spotify.com/ web app (and pin it), or you can download and install the Spotify app from their website. There is no Store app yet. I am hoping they'll build one for the Xbox One though (and therefore Windows 10 via a Universal app)

A strange issue I see is that metro internet explorer is slow but the desktop version works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I assume your SP3 has the latest Windows updates...that seems to solve it for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

protection case / cover for free and stylus for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone able to solve the WiFi limited connectivity problem. It's doing my head in. I understand from reading online it's a big issue.

Anyone able to solve the WiFi limited connectivity problem. It's doing my head in. I understand from reading online it's a big issue.

I turn my weefy on and off. :D or switch networks. I have 2.4 and 5 ghz at home.

Doing my head in to be fair as it happens constantly.

FWIW Windows 10 seems to have completely solved this problem, at least for me.

My touchscreen is unresponsive at times. I need to restart it. I've gotten into the habit of relying on the touchscreen so that's really doinf my head in now.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    FWIW Windows 10 seems to have completely solved this problem, at least for me.

I was on the preview for a while, but ended going back to 8.1. Just felt like it performed better. Not sure I like windows 10 that much vs 8.1

Advertisement