Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland - Advice needed about kids, schools

Options
  • 27-02-2014 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello everyone, my name is Allan.
    I will be returning to Ireland soon after about 15 years away. I will be bringing my family, a Japanese wife and two little girls aged 6 and 9.
    Of course I want to get them into school and will probably wait until the start of the new term in September. But I have a concern, they're English.
    They can speak English but it's broken. They seem to be able to understand most things I say (or at l;east it seems that way) so I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do before they go to school.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

do you know what area you will be moving to?
    Most schools here have children for whom english is not their 1st language so that should not be an issue.
    SOme schools have bit waiting lists so you will need to put their names down in the schools that you would like to send them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

Hello Moonbeam

I can't say for certain where I will end up living. I will stay with the folks first, in Wexford. Then hopefully I can find a job and the rest will follow. I was just wondering about the schooling things for the kids. They're a little nervous. But we should be fine.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They will be fine but maybe get your folks to get the application forms for the local schools and get them filled out so there is no school place stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

I know their English is your main concern but getting them into a school might be hard enough. We are also overseas and last year thought we might be returning to Dublin. What a crazy system! Despite having an address within more than 1 school catchment area we could not get our child into a school. One school we contacted told us we would be 30th on the waiting list! Two more told us that we had missed the date for enrolment (ie 6 months before school starts). We didn't know we would be returning 6 months earlier. Very distressing and annoying. Quite frustrating!

Anyway think of you are able to get them into a school it will be ok, they are used to many children not speaking English as a main language at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi, it would be helpful for you to continue working on their English vocabulary and comprehension now. Simple things like looking at pictures in a story book and talking about them help, basic vocabulary and sentences needed for school would be good, usbourne do good picture dictionary books that are really useful for this type of thing. Children tend to pick up the language very quickly if they are exposed to it at home as well. As regards enrolling them in school I would aim to get them into the lowest class possible for their age, this gives them a better chance to catch up.

• Advertisement

I think I'll be living outside Dublin. South East probably. I'll have the folks check out school around there but it's hard to know when exactly all this will happen. I plan to go the get a job first and then they will follow so hopefully it won't be too long. WE'll have to sell our apartment ans stuff here before moving.

6 months before school start? That's crazy. Baby boom in Ireland now?

I think I'll be living outside Dublin. South East probably. I'll have the folks check out school around there but it's hard to know when exactly all this will happen. I plan to go the get a job first and then they will follow so hopefully it won't be too long. WE'll have to sell our apartment ans stuff here before moving.

6 months before school start? That's crazy. Baby boom in Ireland now?

More a shortage of school places in certain areas but there is also a baby boom so this might get worse 1st.
    The school year here starts every September.

Moonbeam, I'm Irish. I know the school year. Ta.

My friends (from about 15 years ago) all have 3 / 4 kids now. Mini baby boom maybe!!
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting home again. And hoping my family will settle and enjoy the Irish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I teach in a school where 75% of the class has English as a second language. Some start with no English , others with basic. They pick it up very quickly.
    I would try teach them the basics of a classroom day like
    -stand up
    Sit down
    Can you put on your coat
    I need the toilet
    Open/close your book.

All very simple commands but will help your child settle into a daily routine quickly . They will be fine, especially if they have at least a littl English.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

teach them English,read books to them it will only take 2 mnths

Advertisement