Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.C.G or O.C.G Irish teaching exam advice please

Options
  • 21-02-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Haven't found any thread on this under two years old.

I am returning to teach in Ireland after training and teaching in the U.K. I have to decide on which Irish exam option to choose (s.c.g or o.c.g). The website has very long winded explanations of each.

Just wondering if anyone here has completed either of the above or knows enough to explain what either entails.

Thanks a million in advance for any replies! All would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daisy K

Hi, I'm in the process of studying for the SCG (classic procrastination writing this). The SCG is basically like the old fashioned Leaving Cert. Hons. Two exam papers, loads of learning off by heart, a project, a class observation, an oral and aural. It is very difficult. Especially if you're trying to work as well. 3 weeks in Gaelteacht are necessary for both SCG and O C G. Everyone I've known given the choice has been advised to do OCG. It appears to be a much more practical option geared around your work as a teacher. However you have to have a mainstream class full time. Hence the problem as jobs are very tight here and if you don't have your Irish qualification you're not in a great position to be employed. In fact I don't think you can be for very long. OCG has two practicals, oral, easier aural (multiple choice) no project and more practical exam. Both cost a huge amount, about 3 grand!! At last count all in. Best of luck with what ever option you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2late8

Thank you for your reply- very helpful. Shocked at how much it costs, thought it would be half that! How they make up that price is beyond me!

Advertisement