Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Vodafone has bought out exclusivity for handsets before. I'm sure it's possible.

Nokia isn't in a very negotiable seat right now.

Feck. Well if I will really like the phone I will have to go with good old enemy, I mean friend - expansys.
    I can't go to Vodafone, as at work the only network, that does not suck is O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Feck. Well if I will really like the phone I will have to go with good old enemy, I mean friend - expansys.
    I can't go to Vodafone, as at work the only network, that does not suck is O2.

Soon as possible I'm buying it unlocked..... boss will be covering it...:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

testicle wrote: »
    Yeah, we do. Since yesterday. It's the bee's knees! Albums that came out today are on it, and available for purchase (cheaper than iTunes)

signed up but only seeing movies and apps in marketplace, no music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's a little bit frustrating that this and the other higher end handset (HTC 8X) don't take SD cards. I know 32gb is enough for most, and probably me too, but I have a 32gb card also and there's no so thing as too much space.

I think I will wait and see what it looks like in person. I'm probably going to be learning C++ after I finish this year in Java and I'm probably going to do an FYP on something in mobiles so this might be a goer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Delighted that the lumia 920 is edging closer to release :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

signed up but only seeing movies and apps in marketplace, no music

You are in the Music App ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I pre-ordered the 920 on Expansys :o no mention of prices or dates yet.
    Anyone hear any rumblings?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I pre-ordered the 920 on Expansys :o no mention of prices or dates yet.
    Anyone hear any rumblings?
    European prices so far have ranged from €599 to €650.

testicle wrote: »
    You are in the Music App ?

no am in zune software on pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

no am in zune software on pc

Your only going to see Xbox Music on Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 or Xbox.

Still yet to see what 7.8 is going to be...I presume they will get rid of Zune all together in favour of the companion

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Its .. eeh.. ..huge..

Your only going to see Xbox Music on Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 or Xbox.

Still yet to see what 7.8 is going to be...I presume they will get rid of Zune all together in favour of the companion

Are you sure?

For just 9.99 EUR a month, plus applicable taxes, your 1 Month Music Pass gives you unlimited access to millions of songs on your Windows PC or tablet, Xbox 360, and Windows Phone. Download or stream as many songs as you like and listen to them for as long as your subscription is up to date.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

james142 wrote: »
    Its .. eeh.. ..huge..

That's .. what.. ..she said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Nokia Ireland just replied to a tweet saying that the lumias wont be announced in Ireland until December. when the hell are they going to ship so? What have they been doing since the announcement in September?

nokia ireland tweet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

jimmy_t wrote: »
    Nokia Ireland just replied to a tweet saying that the lumias wont be announced in Ireland until December. when the hell are they going to ship so? What have they been doing since the announcement in September?

nokia ireland tweet.jpg

Nokia really messed up their distribution strategy this time, I think the HTC 8x and the very reasonably priced Nexus 4 are going to take a lot of their business with people getting sick of waiting. I'm still hoping to get the 920 from one of the UK based online sim-free sellers but reports coming in that stock will be limited to start with and colours will most likely be limited as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Man that's some delay/ground lost considering all the other phones coming out. Even if they are announced that doesn't mean they'll be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

[Quotmention of Ireland ostonB;81495475]Man that's some delay/ground lost considering all the other phones coming out. Even if they are announced that doesn't mean they'll be available.[/Quote]

No mention of Ireland at all in this press release from Nokia

http://press.nokia.com/2012/10/29/nokia-lumia-920-and-nokia-lumia-820-now-shipping/

Griffinx wrote: »
    [Quotmention of Ireland ostonB;81495475]Man that's some delay/ground lost considering all the other phones coming out. Even if they are announced that doesn't mean they'll be available.

No mention of Ireland at all in this press release from Nokia

http://press.nokia.com/2012/10/29/nokia-lumia-920-and-nokia-lumia-820-now-shipping/[/QUOTE]

All I can say is well done Nokia, you finally make a compelling phone and fail to release it to parts of the world by nearly 4 months. By the time it comes out it will be irrelevant because all the people who want it would have moved to another phone.
    What a way to shoot yourself into two feet with one bullet.

On the positive side I heard that rogers in Canada will launch it tomorrow lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep have to agree. They seem to have lost any momentum they had with the 920. Bad marketing, end of story.

poor tiny insignificant ireland with it's nonexistant 4g network...I wonder why we're not top priority :P

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    poor tiny insignificant ireland with it's nonexistant 4g network...I wonder why we're not top priority :P

I'm in Finland (of all places) and I've seen nothing about the 920 yet. Might check out some stores tomorrow. In fact I've just checked out two companies and they have IPhone 5s on their webpages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well that's a bit of a balls. What in the name of god are they at?
    They'll also miss the christmas market. Who do they think is going to buy a high end phone in January?

Vodafone UK... only Nokia windows phone on there is the lumia 800

If I were a shareholder in either microsoft or nokia I'd be hitting the roof about now. Are they actually on sale anywhere?

It doesnt matter, every market is an opportunity, they had ages to prepare to launch in November.

It doesnt matter, every market is an opportunity, they had ages to prepare to launch in November.

Every market is an opertunity, and some markets need to be prioritised...it very much matters which markets you prioritise.

Every market is an opertunity, and some markets need to be prioritised...it very much matters which markets you prioritise.

Ah but come one, the phone was released how far ago? They had A LOT of time to prepare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Ah but come one, the phone was released how far ago? They had A LOT of time to prepare.

I really want the 920, but I'm getting pretty cheesed off now. I was quite happy to wait until MS had their big announcement......silly old me thought that Nokia would then flood the market with their new range.
    It looks like I won't be able to get the grey one I want sim free anywhere for weeks.
    Stuff like this will make me go crazy and just go for an iPhone. I already have the ATV and an iPad so its not a big leap.:mad::mad:

The phone was released this coming weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Its all down to the production numbers and where they get distributed first. Pre orders are going very well by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Its all down to the production numbers and where they get distributed first. Pre orders are going very well by all accounts.
    Amazed at how Apple can stockpile millions of their handsets (and they're only at it a few years) whereas Nokia can barely put one foot ahead of the other, albeit the new camera module may be hard to produce

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Amazed at how Apple can stockpile millions of their handsets (and they're only at it a few years) whereas Nokia can barely put one foot ahead of the other, albeit the new camera module may be hard to produce

You haven't been able to get an iPhone 5 (>16GB)nin this country for weeks, and won't be for another few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It has a lot to do with how successfully Nokia can convince the network operators to range their products too and, let's face it, Nokia and Windows Phone ain't as sexy as SIII or iPhone 5 to ordinary joe public. Plus the Christmas market is all about prepay and most WP8 handsets are outside the sweet spot, price-wise, for this segment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The last iPhone sold a hell of alot more than all of the Nokia lumias combined. Demand for the iPhone is huge so Apple can make millions knowing that they will sell them all.

How many new Lumia do you think Nokia should make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

AntiVirus wrote: »

The last iPhone sold a hell of alot more than all of the Nokia lumias combined. Demand for the iPhone is huge so Apple can make millions knowing that they will sell them all.

How many new Lumia do you think Nokia should make?
    Ten at a time?
    Point taken - I just think there's a window (oops) they'll be missing. If they're not in the first wave of WP8 handsets what chance have they?

Looks like buying sim free online from the UK will not be an option until after Christmas! http://www.wpcentral.com/uk-availability-dates-nokia-lumia-920-and-820
    Hopefully amazon.de starts selling it sooner than that?

I get that we're not a priority market on the world stage, and that they need to focus their stock on other more important markets. But, they should at least be able to tell us what phones will be on what networks and when. At least that way they might entice some people to wait.

(and that's not just a nokia problem, it goes for the other OEMs and the networks too)

stevenmu wrote: »
    I get that we're not a priority market on the world stage, and that they need to focus their stock on other more important markets. But, they should at least be able to tell us what phones will be on what networks and when. At least that way they might entice some people to wait.

(and that's not just a nokia problem, it goes for the other OEMs and the networks too)

The network operators themselves don't even appear to know that. I've asked in all their forums here, and they've no information.

I've seen your posts there :)

I'm willing to bet that people at each of the networks know exactly what and when will be released, but the marketing geniuses have decided not to release the info yet so it's not being passed on to the customer service reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I know someone who works as a buyer for a network (not in Ireland) and they have no interest in Phones at all. They don't even have a smart phone or have any interest in using one. Its just a job and they just get in what they can cut a deal on. Hence some bizarre choices of phones and no looking ahead at models. Its the same in most industries though a lot of people have no interest in what they work at, other than it pays the bills. Which is also why a lot of phone reps only know what they read off the sales blurb. I know a senior person in a car dealer network, and they thought a 2WD version of a 4WD car they were seling was RWD not FWD. Not knowing the product or having an interest in cars, didn't stop them rising through the industry.

I would have bought a 800 only I know it will be dropped quick enough. The networks will price the W8 phones to high and it will stifle sales. So I don't think I'll hold out for a W8 phone now.

• Advertisement

jimmy_t wrote: »

nokia ireland tweet.jpg

They are having a fecking laugh...

On expansys HTC X8 is 519eu, though I am not sure of the release date. I might just go for that so.

Nokia had such a great chance to pick up all the pieces and restart their nokia name, but they shot themselfs in a foot... Then bullet bounced back from floor went again through the foot and end up in left jewel.
    Show phone on September, more details in end of October and for sale around mid late December.... What a bunch of clowns... Nokia marketing people should be fired. They litterly gave the market to competition.

Unless its somehow possible to buy a grey sim free 920 before the Nexus 4 is available on Nov 13th then I think I'm going to stick with Android. Even some sort of communication explaining their distribution strategy or why the delay would help.

I really wanted to give WP8 and Nokia a chance but they only have themselves to blame, I reckon a lot of other people will be in the same boat as me.

Unless its somehow possible to buy a grey sim free 920 before the Nexus 4 is available on Nov 13th then I think I'm going to stick with Android. Even some sort of communication explaining their distribution strategy or why the delay would help.

I really wanted to give WP8 and Nokia a chance but they only have themselves to blame, I reckon a lot of other people will be in the same boat as me.

I actually started to look in to androids again now. So far on the books s3 or note 2. What's the nexus 4? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I actually started to look in to androids again now. So far on the books s3 or note 2. What's the nexus 4? Never heard of it.
    The Nexus 4 is a pure Android device made by LG. You can see the specs for the phone here - http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Nexus-4_id7531

Unlike the Lumia 920, it's quad-core and has 2GB of RAM. Apparently going to be released in Europe for €299 sim-free.

The Nexus 4 is a pure Android device made by LG. You can see the specs for the phone here - http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Nexus-4_id7531

Unlike the Lumia 920, it's quad-core and has 2GB of RAM. Apparently going to be released in Europe for €299 sim-free.

i am looking at this and for 299eu it looks too good to be true... where will you be able to get one?

i am looking at this and for 299eu it looks too good to be true... where will you be able to get one?

Still trying to figure that out at the moment, see thread here for more details. Expect to pay about the €349 or more for the 16gb version unless your going to in the US anytime soon?

• Advertisement

Still trying to figure that out at the moment, see thread here for more details. Expect to pay about the €349 or more for the 16gb version unless your going to in the US anytime soon?

i know we are highjacking thread a bit here, but 349eu for 16gb version of that is cheap as chips.

8gb version for 299eu has no micro sd slot, which is quite... weird...

The usual online outlets like Clove and Exspansys will sell it. The only issue I'm seeing is that you're only getting 8GB of storage if you buy the €299 version. If you're willing to manage your multimedia, then the Nexus 4 looks like the best value smartphone on the market.

i know we are highjacking thread a bit here, but 349eu for 16gb version of that is cheap as chips.

8gb version for 299eu has no micro sd slot, which is quite... weird...
    Neither version has an SD card slot. Unfortunately, this practice is becoming commonplace with most flagship devices (Iphone, Lumia, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

Looks like buying sim free online from the UK will not be an option until after Christmas! http://www.wpcentral.com/uk-availability-dates-nokia-lumia-920-and-820
    Hopefully amazon.de starts selling it sooner than that?

Read again

"... and it will not be possible to buy the handsets offline (without a contract) while this is in place, apart from Phones4u where it'll be available for £459 (according to promotion material). "

So Phones4u should have them before next year.

Griffinx wrote: »
    Read again

"... and it will not be possible to buy the handsets offline (without a contract) while this is in place, apart from Phones4u where it'll be available for £459 (according to promotion material). "

So Phones4u should have them before next year.

As far as I understand they will not sell online to buyers from Ireland though. You would need to walk into a shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement