Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In what ways are men discriminated against?

Options
  • 08-04-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering what people would consider the main examples of misandry or discrimination against me in our society are?

The obvious ones to me occur in the family courts, but I'd also be willing to bet that men get longer sentences than women for the same violent crimes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

When men leave the toilet seat up it's the crime of the century... When women do it.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Regardless of our ability to have babies, we should have the right to have babies. The Peoples front of Judea are the only people fighting this noble cause.

Something has been on my mind recently. A lot of nights out I would get felt up by random women. Nothing much and it doesn't bother me as such. But you can be damned sure that if I did something similar to women, walking up to and feeling them up, there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Something has been on my mind recently. A lot of nights out I would get felt up by random women. Nothing much and it doesn't bother me as such. But you can be damned sure that if I did something similar to women, walking up to and feeling them up, there would be uproar.

If it bothers you then you shouldn't put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Regardless of our ability to have babies, we should have the right to have babies. The Peoples front of Judea are the only people fighting this noble cause.

was this not yhe Judean Peoples front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Its quite acceptable for a journalist to write an opinion piece about men that if the opposite was done would lead to the journalist fired.

Its quite acceptable for tv films / shows / ads to portray men very poorly. I mean sex and the city every character thats male is either a complete tosser or a whimp. Some adds would be banned if they were portraying women rather then men.

Women can watch topless men on tv before the watershed but can we watch topless women? No.

Women only gym sessions etc, women free entry to clubs etc.

Womens health care gets far more attention and funding.

Jobs which involve working with children in sport etc massively discriminate agianst male applicants.

Social conventions for acceptable behavior discriminate against men. A woman can make unwanted sexual inuendos towards a man, a woman can touch inappropriately etc that if the situations were reversed would be unacceptable.

Divorce, family law etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

This guy here is onto something:

Or maybe he's just a scary geek nobody likes? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I pay good money to the leisure center in the local hotel yet two evenings a week I can't use the pool, ladies hour

And this is six pm, peak time and the place does be busy.

I know I can hang around for an hour or use it later but the OP wants examples and that's mine

I wouldn't care if they were selecting off peak hours
    I don't get a cheaper rate, management charge me the same

Edit: paternity leave is just three days afaik
    It's not a lot, could be a bit more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

If a guy is drunk and walking home alone from a nightclub and a gang of women leap out of the bushes, strip him naked and force him to have sex with them, if he went to the cops they would laugh at him for making a complaint. This happens to me all the time and I am sick of being ignored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

snafuk35 wrote: »
    If a guy is drunk and walking home alone from a nightclub and a gang of women leap out of the bushes, strip him naked and force him to have sex with them, if he went to the cops they would laugh at him for making a complaint. This happens to me all the time and I am sick of being ignored!

If you cant refrain from making stupid comments like this then dont bother posting in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Being around children is a big one also. I'm sure men will always have a thing at the back of their minds to be extra careful around kids. My bf would feel a bit uncomfortable changing my nephews nappy as he's not related, yet I wouldn't give a second thought to changing any babys nappy etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I pay good money to the leisure center in the local hotel yet two evenings a week I can't use the pool, ladies hour

And this is six pm, peak time and the place does be busy.

I know I can hang around for an hour or use it later but the OP wants examples and that's mine

I wouldn't care if they were selecting off peak hours
    I don't get a cheaper rate, management charge me the same
    This does quite unfair, I can understand women only gyms, but if you're paying the same you should have the same access in a 'general' gym
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Edit: paternity leave is just three days afaik
    It's not a lot, could be a bit more

I think a lot of couples would prefer the 6 months leave to be per couple, to be divided as they see fit.

And I agree wholeheartedly with those who've mentioned the groping in pubs/clubs thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Groping, feeling up, aka sexual assault, are one thing, but it's worse when it comes to domestic abuse which is mainly portrayed as men on women. It's a lot closer to parity than then we'd believe. The worst bit I find on the matter is the effects on kids, who are the most innocent party, gets relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If we're to use the same logic that's applied to women's issues that if women are worse off than men in something it's because of discrimination rather than choices made then there's a decent list:

Young men have higher unemployment.
    Young men have more underemployment.
    The education system discriminates against males.
    The healthcare system discriminates against males.

etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That was an obvious one about supervising children

When I did GAA coaching you always had another adult in the changing rooms with you.
    To stop the messing but also to protect yourself

Realy if I was asked to supervise the lads at the local swimming pool I'd think twice about it.
    Certainly wouldn't do it on my own

But supervision is needed as they are fiends for the wet towel slaps.
    Which hurt badly, ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I agree with pretty much all of these, but comparing topless women to topless men? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dearg lady wrote: »
    I can understand women only gyms,

Bullcrap. If there was a men only gym there'd be a court case to shut it down. No call for either.

As for that women's hour - I'd demand to know when they have their men's hours or else deduct the cost of those weekly hours from the membership fee for men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Orion wrote: »
    Bullcrap. If there was a men only gym there'd be a court case to shut it down. No call for either.

As for that women's hour - I'd demand to know when they have their men's hours or else deduct the cost of those weekly hours from the membership fee for men.

there is call for both if the owners of the gym can find enough people of a certain gender who'd rather not share a gym with the opposite gender.

the problem is whenever there are male only clubs it's because men are evil and are just trying to keep women down and excluded but whenever there are female only clubs it's because women only want some time away from evil men.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I actually think if a gym did implement a men only hour it would be grand. As long as they had the women only hour also, don't see how anyone would object. Except those moany people who object to everything. But no gym will do it cause it's not in demand, unlike the women only times.

Probably the biggest discrimination is the lack of paternal leave in Ireland. I know a guy who lives in Sweden and his wife his pregnant, think they get about 14 months paid leave that can be shared whatever way the couple decides.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There is a men's gym. Well, at least one that I know of; Cuts fitness for Men in Athlone.
    No court orders shut it down as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dudess wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much all of these, but comparing topless women to topless men? Lol

Why is it Lol?
    What makes a woman's nipples more private than a mans?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why is it Lol?
    What makes a woman's nipples more private than a mans?

They're not 'private parts' like boobs are. For this reason it's acceptable for a man to be topless in public, but it's indecent for women because showing nipples involves showing boobs.

I still don't understand why it's not ok for me to have 30% of my ballsack on show and be offended if someone looks at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The big, most important anti-male discrimination in this country is, of course, in the area of family law.

Men are routinely and systematically discriminated against in all things relating to child care, from custody, to access, guardianship and maintenance. This can also be seen to a lesser extent in relation to divorce law, which generally strips men of assets that they accrued by themselves and gives them to women who did not actually do the work to obtain them. However, the children issue animates me more, as a single father, since I'm highly aware that the children are effected negatively.

There are plenty of others, of course, many of which have been mentioned already: in the fields of education, health, imprisonment (both sentencing and conditions), sexual assault, and so on.

As a society we don't talk half enough about these things because of two hateful perspectives - only women can be victims, and boys don't (or shouldn't) cry.

amacachi wrote: »
    I still don't understand why it's not ok for me to have 30% of my ballsack on show and be offended if someone looks at it.

Sure give it a go Joe :pac:

Sauve wrote: »

Somehow I'd be in the wrong.

amacachi wrote: »

Somehow I'd be in the wrong.

Please stop trolling a perfectly good discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

snafuk35 wrote: »
    You wish :-)

Please stop trolling a perfectly good discussion.

I'll thank you not to call me a troll again. If we're going with the logic of "private parts" then why are different "private parts" treated so differently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I've heard car insurance is more expensive for men than women? Definitley discrimination if it's true.

I've noticed that in films whenever a male and a female are in a fight, the female usually wins - ''Elekra'' and ''Kick-Ass'' are good examples. It's fiction I know, but still.

Advertisement