Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Good point actually.

I've never had a successful relationship with someone with whom I'd have had radically different beliefs about life, politics, etc. Things like that cause trouble. Also, there is a sense that if something goes wrong, it's not worth fixing. We've been taught to be selfish - look after number one. Thus, you might be having trouble with your OH whom you love, and the relationship is allowed die because it's not perfect.

My GF is protestant I was raised Catholic...

Also Ireland has a high cystic fibrosis rate.. is it due to a small population and interbreeding ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Also Ireland has a high cystic fibrosis rate.. is it due to a small population and interbreeding

Its a disease common amongst Celts. Seemingly the disease in not diverse enough for some people's tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

fúkin white people and their opressive men, being effected by that life thretening condition... I guess no diabetes research should be done as it effects the over weight and asian people more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It's not so much a case of having different beliefs: a catholic and a buddhist; a capitalist & a communist; someone who likes cervantes and someone who likes Celia Ahearn can get along fine, indeed if they have enough in common in other areas, this little but important difference can be a good thing.

I'm thinking more of the:
    A: What is the meaning of life?
    B: I don't care to be honest.

C: Do you want to go somewhere off the beaten track for a holiday?
    D:No, let's go to Spain with our friends.

E: Do you like Kafka?
    F:I'm not that keen on spicy food.

That sort of fundamental misunderstanding can be fatal to a relationship. Yet there are lot of people who get into these relationships. A lot of the time, it's because people meet in pubs and nightclubs.

I think this philosophy can be deceptive for a number of reasons. One is because something happens the more you know someone, the more you realise you don't know them. It's a bit like those conjoining circles we learn about in primary school. I know there is a name for them but I can't remember what it is.

Secondly, is change. Beliefs change, opinions change, stances change. You may have more or less in common with the person you fell for as time goes by. So, imo, it's all about how you can negotiate this. That's why things take so much damn compromise, and why it can get so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Wibbs wrote: »
    Dunno where one would start though. I suppose by trying to get people to realise that guess what, it could be worse ffs. If you're bored of an otherwise ok relationship that you've invested emotional energy and time into, maybe you're just boring and childish and always looking for a quick fix.

Ha! Yeah, good luck with that one. Sounds like some sort of seminar -- you'll lead the lectures, and I'll charge the money. :D

It's a bit like those conjoining circles we learn about in primary school. I know there is a name for them but I can't remember what it is.

Concentric circles?

SeekUp wrote: »
    Concentric circles?

No. Intersecting circles.

http://www.geocities.com/jefferywinkler2/cosmo3.gif

Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I personall think that the type of people who are attracted to giving advice regularly in PI are exactly the type of people who should never give advice to vulnerable people.

Problem is, too, that they're probably very young, from what I've read of the forum.

But there's a part if me that reckons it's possible to be "in love", even after a long time in a relationship.

I certainly know people who pull it off.

I may also just be kidding myself, due to my numerous commitment-phobe issues :P (I have to admit to leaving relationships as soon as they become stale in any way).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I personall think that the type of people who are attracted to giving advice regularly in PI are exactly the type of people who should never give advice to vulnerable people.
    Generalise much? Then again you have a long standing antagonistic twitch concerning PI so no surprise there. In my personal life I know quite a few mental health professionals, from counselors to psychologists all the way up to psychiatrists. Some of the latter family. I can think of 5 of those individuals off the top of my head and to be frank there would be two of those I would trust to give any useful advice on the everyday practical hassles of life. One of them the least qualified and one the most(It's not reflected too well in their own lives but isn't that often the way).

Indeed its not really within their remit. Which the psychiatrists I know would be usually the first to admit, the counselors less so. Their remit is when things go very wrong. When things get to a point where medical or expert intervention is paramount. Unless you are prone to a mental illness and react accordingly medical intervention is hardly appropriate. All too often the cry of get medical help is heard.

Fine it's another piece of advice, but IMHO all too often an over reaction by many to a common aspect of life. Indeed I would contend over use of counseling in particular can often escalate the problem. I've seen that happen more than once. Maybe as it all too often puts the focus more on how the person is feeling and increases the likelihood of excessive self centeredness. The people I know that are the longest in counseling are the most self focused and not in a good way either. There have been recent studies into the value of counseling in the case of post traumatic stress and it was found that while one or two sessions proved useful, if it became more long term the anxiety increased. Even compared to those who got no counseling. We as humans have more access to mental health professionals than in any time in our history, yet mental illness appears to be rising all the time. We certainly don't need to go down the route of the American model where so many are medicated. I have been shocked how many Americans I know and have known that are on medication.

When not straying into the pathological realm the shared experience of others, whether that be pro or con and the support of ones immediate society is where most benefit is likely to be found. PI plugs into at least some of that.
    Problem is, too, that they're probably very young, from what I've read of the forum.
    That's certainly true of many and in general the young would be more likely to give the advice of "move on, there's more fish in the sea, don't deny the need for new experience etc". Which may actually be salient advice for many of their peers depending on the situation. One can rant on as long as you like about who you have learned stuff as you've gotten more experience, but the fact is most will take it with a pinch of salt. I know I did when young. It's often the job of the young to do so. Older types may think more along the lines of the "work at it" principle, unless of course they have worked on a previous relationship and it went badly tits up, in which case they often tend to revisit the "younger" advice, albeit from a more practical bent and the notion that times a wasting. Everybody brings their own viewpoint along for the ride.
    But there's a part if me that reckons it's possible to be "in love", even after a long time in a relationship.
    That I'm not so sure I agree with. Yes couples can stay together in content relationships that are mutually beneficial, but quite a few studies on this state the obvious; that the in love/romantic/affair phase lasts no more than three/four years. Usually less. So why do those couples stay together? Children can come along and replace the emotional high, people can melt into the long term contented commitment without noticing the change, or people are balanced internally and while realise the mad love phase is over see the mutually advantageous relationship as something worth staying in. Or all of the above.

One interesting article I read quite recently in Scientific American, that suggested that there may be a gene involved when it comes to propensity to fidelity. Apparently first spotted in mice. Mice with the gene, both male and female, stayed longer with mates and turned down random matings with strangers in season more often than those without the gene. The gene is in humans too, so there may be something in it. It seems the gene is also possibly connected to risk taking behaviour, which seems logical I suppose.
    I may also just be kidding myself, due to my numerous commitment-phobe issues :P (I have to admit to leaving relationships as soon as they become stale in any way).
    Many do. I'd reckon most do or would if they had the opportunity at least while young. Divorce rate in societies where it's easy, run close to 50%. I would strongly suspect that the other 50% would get eaten into too, if the freedom to move was there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Indeed I would contend over use of counseling in particular can often escalate the problem. I've seen that happen more than once. Maybe as it all too often puts the focus more on how the person is feeling and increases the likelihood of excessive self centeredness. .

But that is part of the process. Developmental theory is all about rebuilding the ego. They put the focus back on the self to to develop senses of personal responsibilility and to losen dependency on others to influence or control your feelings. The benfit of this is less pain in your life, the cost is ego centrism. Usually, what I have noticed is they go through a peak where the whole ego centric thing is out of balance and then it settles into something healthier and more moderate.
    The people I know that are the longest in counseling are the most self focused and not in a good way either. There have been recent studies into the value of counseling in the case of post traumatic stress and it was found that while one or two sessions proved useful, if it became more long term the anxiety increased. Even compared to those who got no counseling. We as humans have more access to mental health professionals than in any time in our history, yet mental illness appears to be rising all the time. We certainly don't need to go down the route of the American model where so many are medicated. I have been shocked how many Americans I know and have known that are on medication. .

I think the French are worse for meds than Americans. I know so many people mention americans who are medicated, I dont know any personally, but NYC is becoming such a strange place I have to guess that its the medication people are on. But I mention the French because both France and the US have happiness mentioned in their consitutions. Its a hugely important philosophical ideal to both peoples.

Happiness is a dangerous idea and dreaming a dangerous activity - my guess about broken marriages is a lot has to do with someone dreams going astray or not being pursued.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But that is part of the process. Developmental theory is all about rebuilding the ego. They put the focus back on the self to to develop senses of personal responsibilility and to losen dependency on others to influence or control your feelings. The benfit of this is less pain in your life, the cost is ego centrism. Usually, what I have noticed is they go through a peak where the whole ego centric thing is out of balance and then it settles into something healthier and more moderate..
    I suppose the balance is the thing. I would say IME there's few enough have it, inside or outside therapy.

I think the French are worse for meds than Americans. I know so many people mention americans who are medicated, I dont know any personally, but NYC is becoming such a strange place I have to guess that its the medication people are on. But I mention the French because both France and the US have happiness mentioned in their consitutions. Its a hugely important philosophical ideal to both peoples.
    The Americans still lead in medication for mental health issues. They have more therapists too. Hell pick up an american magazine and you see far more ads for medication of various types than expected. The self help publishing industry is almost entirely US driven. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against self help books per se. Some of the greatest minds in history have written what could be construed as "self help" books. Not Dr Phil mind....:D
    Happiness is a dangerous idea and dreaming a dangerous activity - my guess about broken marriages is a lot has to do with someone dreams going astray or not being pursued
    I would agree. The pursuit of something that most can't even define satisfactorily, is like going big game hunting for the Loch Ness monster. Not exactly fruitful. Pain is part of life. To deny that or mask it by means other than personal growth and acceptance is a dodgy road. Same goes for relationships. You will get bored at some stage. You will wonder what's what future wise. You will be tempted by others. If you have some sense of insight, you will be better prepared to figure out if this is a temporary thing or something that may require letting go.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I would agree. The pursuit of something that most can't even define satisfactorily, is like going big game hunting for the Loch Ness monster. Not exactly fruitful. Pain is part of life. To deny that or mask it by means other than personal growth and acceptance is a dodgy road. Same goes for relationships. You will get bored at some stage. You will wonder what's what future wise. You will be tempted by others. If you have some sense of insight, you will be better prepared to figure out if this is a temporary thing or something that may require letting go.

You cant get reward without pain first.

Generalise much? Then again you have a long standing antagonistic twitch concerning PI so no surprise there.

People involved in PI get annoyed when I raise objections to it's existence. They get annoyed because the have a vested interest in perpetuating their image of being the wise people of boards.

Otherwise they wouldn't use phrases like "longstanding antagonistic twitch" to describe what is a reasonable opinion. The fact that it's "longstanding" doesn't make it any less valid.

You can gloss over the issue by saying that some mental health professionals that you know don't, in your opinion, give good advice.

Totally irrelevant.

I've never asked that PI be run by psychiatrists or counsellors. The one psychiatrist that I know who posts on boards has described PI as "a hotbed of people with personality disorders.....and that's the people looking for advice, as well as those giving it". No psychiatrist in their right mind would give advice regularly on a forum like that.

There are a lot of people on there who are depressed. There are a lot of people on there with personality disorder. There are a lot of people on there who need counselling.

The fact that you use some uncited study into "counselling" in PTSD to seemingly imply that counselling isn't particularly worthwhile.
    I'm no psychiatrist, but I wouldn't refer someone with PTSD for "counselling". Locally, we refer them to our psychiatrists, who use medication to control the physiological responses that often prevent psychotherapy from working. Then cognitive behavioural therapy or standard psychotherapy is tried. But different types of therapy are used, and if anxiety levels increases after 2 sessions, then a different strategy is tried. Recovery from PTSD is a dynamic process.

Are there comparable studies looking at how useful PI is?

Counselling is not useful for a lot of psych problems. It is superb for others. There are people who are trained to judge when it's appropriate. Do you reckon the average PI user cares, or knows?

I'm not having a go at people who try and help. I think there's older posters who do it as an image thing. But I think the kids probably have their heart in the right place. I just think "a bit of advice" isn't really what these people need. But, sadly, vulnerable people will seek help wherever it's available.

I think a societal support is useful. I just think PI strays past "support" into the realms of "advice".

Just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Good heavens, what a lot of immaturity! Throwaway relationships are the norm these day but that does not make it right.

Like anything worthwhile in this life, a relationship has to involve effort. Compromise is part of that effort and thos machos and "strong" women will eventually learn that they are not really contributing much. Big heads and small hearts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Can we keep this OT please?

Well, in fairness, you asked why a particular type of advice was rolled out over and over again in PI, and I gave the reasons why I thought the same old stuff is regurgitated over and over again.
    Wibbs gave his reasons why he thought that wasn't the case.

I don't see your issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Fair point.
    I was just afraid this was going down a different route; from your previous post, I was afraid it might be turning a little personal.

Perhaps I needed have been concerned.

Heinrich wrote: »
    Good heavens, what a lot of immaturity! Throwaway relationships are the norm these day but that does not make it right.
    Maybe but maybe we have to define what is right nowadays. People tend to live longer lives for a start, equality of women has given them freedom they didn't have before, we do live in a very fast paced society, we are used to more and more things being on tap. It's as confusing as bejaysus at times.
    Like anything worthwhile in this life, a relationship has to involve effort.
    I would agree. IMHO Too often we are more feelings driven than thought driven and assume we must follow our hearts or genitals and not our head. The best relationships I know have a pretty even balance between all three.
    Zulu wrote:
    Fair point.
    Yea but you're right for the most part too.
    I was just afraid this was going down a different route; from your previous post, I was afraid it might be turning a little personal.
    Naw we're both "twitchy" buggers so.......:D We'll agree to disagree on some issues.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Maybe but maybe we have to define what is right nowadays. People tend to live longer lives for a start, equality of women has given them freedom they didn't have before, we do live in a very fast paced society, we are used to more and more things being on tap. It's as confusing as bejaysus at times.

I quite like living in a world where what is right is a moveable feast. Confusing maybe, but definately good fun.

• Advertisement

I think there is another thing at work too. We like our illusions and time with someone takes them away. When we accept the dissillusionment, and love them despite the drop of the mask, then we can love maturily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement