Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$$$ Does / (Why does?) money matter so much to women ! ? !

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

1) Are women really that attracted to wealth

I don't understand the question?

Why would someone not be attracted to someone who is wealthy, assuming everything else appeals? Is wealthy supposed to be a turn off?

Its like asking why do women always go for men who wash ...

What is the great mystery here? Most men are attracted to women who are wealthy too. Wealthy provides opportunities. Nice presents, nice holidays, nice dinners, nice everything. It isn't even that that the woman (or man) wants their partner to pay for them, but it means they can at the very least pay for themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Is it possibly a very simple answer? In a nightclub, rich men spend lots of money, have a good time and seem like interesting people. The poor men sit in a corner in their old clothes nursing a pint looking moody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Marksie, to clarify.

First, I know that all women are not attracted to money. But, in fairness there is no denying that a large proportion (I would say majority) are. Think about popular culture and what you see on a day to day basis - how often do you see wealthy men with model-looking women who you know wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the money ? Again, this post is not an attempt at stirring up an argument about whether all women are . . . simply to ask why the women that are, are?

Secondly, my issue is that it really makes me wonder what it is about money that so attracts. It's confusiong me a bit because like I said, I'm getting so much more interest from the girls I grew up with now (I'm 23 now) and I'm wondering if they're simply attracted to me more because now I can take them out and buy them things or is it just because the fact that I did well for myself and now dress well etc. makes me more attractive (am I getting this across clearly? I hope so). Also, the women I meet around here (I live near Barrow Street) always ask "Where do you work?" " What do you do?" "Do you own/rent?" etc. Whereas when I was growing up or in college it was always "Where are you from?" "Do you know so-and-so?" etc.etc.

I hope this is clear - it's Sunday morning so I did my best ! If not I can clarify further.

Thanks to all those that have / will respond

So far, the answers have been pretty much :

* The hunter / gathererer / provider thing (Animal Instinct)
    * Rich men are more confident
    * It's because I work in finance (I don't agree with this at all - look at entertainment/sport/property etc.etc.)
    * Security

Do you mind me asking why you went into the job you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Wicknight wrote: »
    Most men are attracted to women who are wealthy too.

It's nice if they can afford to holidays or whatever, but if a woman can afford
    to pay for rent, food and go out every so often, I've no further financial consideration. I know people who couldn't date a woman more successful than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Up until the mid 70's in this country there was the Marriage Bar. A Woman had to quit her job when she married. If I were to quit my job when I marry (fat chance of either, tbh) then I would want to be damn sure I and the childers get provided for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I am a woman and I don't find wealthy men more attractive. To be honest, I find men who are showy about their income a major turn-off!

Perhaps it has something to do with the women you meet around where you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wonder how many women are involved with wealthy and intelligent psychopaths who are considered the "ideal catch". There is a misconception among people that all psychopaths are criminals and violent maniacs- they're not. Many psychopaths outwardly have all the traits that society deems desirable and admirable. It is actually their psychopathy that actually aids them in getting on in their careers.
    They'd never dream of breaking the law but beneath the veneer of moral recitude they lack empathy and don't really give a crap about anyone- including those they are involved with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I wonder how many women are involved with wealthy and intelligent psychopaths who are considered the "ideal catch". There is a misconception among people that all psychopaths are criminals and violent maniacs- they're not. Many psychopaths outwardly have all the traits that society deems desirable and admirable. It is actually their psychopathy that actually aids them in getting on in their careers.
    They'd never dream of breaking the law but beneath the veneer of moral recitude they lack empathy and don't really give a crap about anyone- including those they are involved with.

where did you learn this **** , are you a shrink or have you just watched AMERICAN PSYCHO with christian bale too many times

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

irish_bob wrote: »
    where did you learn this **** , are you a shrink or have you just watched AMERICAN PSYCHO with christian bale too many times

A cogent rebuttal.
    If you think it's **** then i guess it must be so. I defer to your greater knowledge on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well they probably would break that law if they knew they could get away with it, being psychopaths and all.

Some rich successful men do have a psychopathic personality that allows them to do things such as walk over people if it means getting their own way or using dodgy techniques to run out a struggling local businessman if he gets in the way of business without feeling sorry for busting the guy.

This is how it is Irish bob. Never mind that killer Bateman chap.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement