Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doing something good for someone.

Options
  • 21-06-2006 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I always wonder that when you do something good for someone
    is it cancelled if you tell everyone about it ???

Or is it done when you keep schtum ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its possible to do good and tell people about it. It may encourage them to do the same good (charitable contributions), or different good. It may not. Either way, you've still done good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

_Brian_ wrote:

Or is it done when you keep stump ??

What do you mean "cancelled" ???

If I saved a guy from choknig to death and told my mates about it....is said guy gonna fall over dead as a result?

When you do something good for someone, you do it for them. There's nothing to "cancel".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I was thinking though the self glory of talking about it would prevent you
    from doing the next good deed ,as you feel you don't need to.

If you don't tell anyone about what you have done ,you will encourage yourself to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

_Brian_ wrote:

Or is it done when you keep stump ??

??? indeed. Perhaps you mean that if you are bragging about what a good person you are and all the good deeds you do etc. it devalues the same goodness. The fiver you gove to the homelss guy does not disappear though (well it probably does disappear pretty rapidly up his arm but thats a different matter).

And it's keep "schtum" not "stump" - jewish origin like schmuck

hepcat wrote:

And it's keep "schtum" not "stump" - jewish origin like schmuck

Thanks for correcting me.

I thought schmuck was someone who is stupid ???

Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

_Brian_ wrote:
    Thanks for correcting me.

I thought schmuck was someone who is stupid ???

Brian.

A schmuck is a penis in Yiddish.
    Schtumm is the German for Dumb as in deaf and dumb.
    Yiddish is a Germanic language and has a lot in common with German.

Okay ,in future ,I'll stay away from comments that have a multitude of meanings.
    Don't want to confuse :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

_Brian_ wrote:

Although it'll never be cancelled - you can question the motives behind a good deed.
    Bonkey wrote:
    When you do something good for someone, you do it for them. There's nothing to "cancel".
    People can do good deeds solely for the intention of making themselves look better. So they are not doing it for the other person/people. Doesn't really matter to the recipient, but it does have the effect of 'cheapening' the act from an objective POV.

I think all charity is inherently selfish to a degree. People feel bad about not doing anything - therefore positive action make them feel less guilty. Serial do-gooders may well have secret pride in themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

A schmuck is a penis in Yiddish.

i thought schmuck was the bit of cut off foreskin that's left after they mutilate their male children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I believe you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Mordeth wrote:
    i thought schmuck was the bit of cut off foreskin that's left after they mutilate their male children.

There are many meanings out there on the web, the one I took was one that tallied up with what I thought.
    Scmuck is German for jewellery, so I reckon it has some meaning similar to our own "crown jewels"
    /OT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement