Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2000? - Over My Dead Body

Options
  • 14-06-2003 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

I was going to put this in the For Sale board or perhaps
    Bargins but I suppose I'd better ask the boys and girls down by humanities their opinion first.

Basically I have heard over the years (here among other places) that TCD and other Med. Uni's will give me c. €2000 for the use of my body after somebody pulls the plug.

1. Is this true
    2. Where do I sign.
    3. ...oh and should i do it?:)

Personally, i don't give a monkies what happens to me after I die. And right now a shiny new laptop would genuinly make a big difference to my studies. I am resonably familiar with the ins and outs of what happens to me when they let the med students loose with their scalpels closely followed up by the OT's contorting my body into new and wonderfully grotesque positions in order to demonstrate so woolly theory that would never get passed by real doctors;)
    Would my kin really be pissed off (and, no i don't plan on asking them, i'm afraid they'd get between me and that new sony:))
    Come on people change my mind.

So, 4. Would you do it?

tribble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dunno 'bout 1-3, though it does sound like an urban legend to me. But as to 4, I can't - my organ donor card says "everything that's not nailed down" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Sayyou did do it, but your body was burned to a crisp in a fire, or liquefied in a car accident - would trinity request the 2 grand back off your next of kin/executor of your estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Cheers for the link but the question was not answered there.

Is this actually possible? is €2000 accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

well in that thread maxheadroom said you cant sell your body only donate it read his post on the second page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

If you really want to know, and don't believe me, try these people: http://www.tcd.ie/Anatomy/index.htm. I don't know if they;ll answer you, but if they do, post it up here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I have an organ donor card, basically as above anything that can be used I have no problem with them being removed. I'm not gonna need the things when I'm dead so why would I prevent someone else from maybe experiencing some improvement in their quality of life.

My Mam however refused to sign the card, she has a problem with it I don't know why exactly probably cause she would like to bury me "whole" as it were. My dad also has a donor card and so he signed mine.

Anyway back to the point, as a science student (studying sports science and healthm therefore I study a large amount of anatomy and physiology) I would have no problem donating my body to science if it meant that it might have a positive effect on the future medical practice in Ireland or whatever. Particularly if I had died from a rare or new disease etc. I feel that when I die my body will just rot in the ground so why not put it to use before it does!

I guess though, it is really up to the people left behind who have to deal with it. Although I feel if they love me they'll respect whatever decision I make. If I wasn't to donate my body to science (jesus that sounds cheesey) I want to be buried at sea or in the burren or somewhere rugged and out of the way!

I'd explain my reasoning for that but you're bored enough already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I was reading a really old book that I found in the attic today, and I found this story.
    In 1890, A Swedish gentleman who was desperately in need of money signed a contract with the Caroline Institute in Stockholm - a medical academy that awards the Nobel prize in medicine - promising it's staff doctors his body for dissection purposes after his death. In return, he was given the cash he needed. In 1910, this same gentlemen inherited a large sum of money. Now he decided he did not want to leave his body for dissection. He tried to buy back the contract from the doctors of the institute. They refused to sell. The gentleman then sued the institute and went to court. the gentleman not only lost the suit and future possession of his body - but he had to pay damages to the institute's doctors because he had had two of his teeth pulled without their permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Amz
    I have an organ donor card

Amz, Amz... Trinners will pay you for that ...
    Pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

afaik trinity college sources its cadavers from eastern europe and poland.... which is why my cousin danny was very very very surprised to find hed been assigned the corpse of an elderly gentleman who looked rather suspiciously like boris yeltsin... even the lecturers called him boris....
    perhaps they might accept your body, but i can imagine there being a plentiful supply of fres corpses to satsfy the demands of the trinity anatomical dept.... so id sa y the 2000 eurons is wishful thinking.... although if anybody cares to prove me wrong i shall be selling my body in a flash,.... not as if its the first time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Both my grandma and granddad donated their bodies to Trinity for medical research.

As far as i know they didn't get any money for it, but it was a relief in the stressful and sad time to have Trinity handle all the transfering of the bodies. Then 2 years after they had passed Trinity arranged for the remains to be buried in a cemetary on the north side, and for a service (I don't know if you would call it a funeral).

Afaik they paid for everything, and while you don't get an individual burial plot and headstone, my grandparents didn't believe in them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Wicknight
    Then 2 years after they had passed Trinity arranged for the remains to be buried in a cemetary on the north side, and for a service (I don't know if you would call it a funeral)

Bah, 2 years? They can go shite so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by PiE
    Bah, 2 years? They can go shite so.

Er you do know you are dead at this stage ... 2 years out of the rest of eternity resting in the ground isn't going to make much of a difference:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I agree with donar cards but I wouldn't give my body to tinners. Reason being we've already buried one of my family and the burial ceremony is a HUGE part of the healing process. I'd like my family to have that when I go.

The one thing I don't want is the last rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

You still have a normal funeral service, and there is a burial service 2 years later, and there is also a memorial service for all the donors every 3 years or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement