Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

beauf wrote: »
    Yes. I've a few different MS Accounts (and other providers) for development/testing. I was trying to see if I could fix the formatting of email notifications of emails from boards which are too small to read on WP. every other forum comes in Ok. So I tried different accounts, and passing email via different providers to see if parsed differently. I never noticed any difference in how the rest of the OS, or apps worked regards of what I used. Though I don't see why one profile would change the behaviour of the browser that much.
    Given that most people don't have much of a problem with IE crashing, the problem is eiher with that phone, or with the user profile (something in the settings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I notice since the last update (the other day) I can't see my latest photos in the all view, or the in the camera shortcut. I have to into my camera roll item.

Actually I seem to have a new tag "older photos" which has put them (photos I took today) before some older photos a few days ago. They are tagged June 2015. Must check the datetime stamps.

Might be time to do a another reset or try WP10

I notice since the last update (the other day) I can't see my latest photos in the all view, or the in the camera shortcut. I have to into my camera roll item.

Might be time to do a another reset or try WP10
    This is a wild guess, but do you have a MircoSD card in there? I wonder if it's a bit flakey. Maybe replace it, or even back it up, take it out and reformat it and put it back in?

SD card yes. I do that every time I reset the phone. Which I think I'll do again tonight. I often think that phones/computers don't always play well with big updates if they been in use for a long time.

I think since I did that update any photos I take have no date information. Which puts them to the start of the all photos view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

SD card yes. I do that every time I reset the phone. Which I think I'll do again tonight. I often think that phones/computers don't always play well with big updates if they been in use for a long time.

That's not how any updates work. If you notice odd behaviour, it's probably a bug :)

Well "I" get less bugs doing updates on a clean install.

Anywayz I installed WP10, it was too raw for me, (but nice to see a timer) so I reset the phone went back to 8.1 and let it run all the updates. The glitch with the photos is gone now. Might have been the SD card as Bayberry Suggested. I'm going to not install apps to it this time see if that helps, just media. The SD card tends to get dislodged if the phone takes a fall, as a result it rescans and fixes the SD card.

On a 4" screen the WP10 seems a lot busier interface than 8.1.

On a 4" screen the WP10 seems a lot busier interface than 8.1.
    The latest Win10 Mobile build enabled transparency with a background photo by default. If you weren't doing that on your Win8 build, then it does look busier, somehow.

Yes found that. Just what's nice about 8.1 is the simplicity. WP10 seems to be going away from that.

Yes found that. Just what's nice about 8.1 is the simplicity. WP10 seems to be going away from that.
    Swings and roundabouts - 8.1 already supports transparency and full image backgrounds, it's just off by default. The categorization of items in the System page makes Win10 Mobile much simpler to manage than WP8 (though some of that came in 8.1 upgrade 2). The Search box at the top of the App list will make Win10 Mobile easier for new users (many of whom never realize that you can just press a letter to jump straight to apps starting with R, for example).

I really despise the way hamburger menus are replacing the swipe left/right motion to access other options in some apps, but I understand that that's what the market is used to, and I hope that people coding native Windows apps will stick with that style, but if hamburger menus means that more apps come to Win10 Mobile, then so be it.

I was quite dismayed when I tried my forst Win10 Mobile build, the current one reassured me somewhat. It's still way to soon to be making any hard decisions either way - there'll be a lot of updates to Win10 Mobile before it's ready for release, so I won't be making any decisions about whether to upgrade my day-to-day phone to Win10 for a couple of months yet.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have called transparency or wallpaper "complex". By complex I meant everything has more options especially the action centre which felt very Droid/IOS like. I was curious how it was a low end phone. Too early for me anyway.

Advertisement