Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a career break from teaching...

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,
    I'm a primary teacher and have been in my currant school for 3 years permenant. I have recently been thinking about taking a year out next year to do some travelling etc.

I am not sure if this would go down well with the principal as she has shown a lot of faith in hiring me. It is a reasonably big town school. I know you have to have one years service done to be eligable so I know that's not a worry and have checked out the other criteria on Into website.

Can anywone help me weigh up the pros and cons of making such a decision? anyone with any experience doing it?

Thanks!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ladybird.12

Hi there, i think you should follow your heart. I would say go IF you are young, Mortgage free and have all your homework done! You don't want to regret anything you may or may not have done.. Make sure you look into the possibility of not getting back to your position when you return, i work in a similar job and know of people who took career break and found it difficult to get back in. Good luck with your decision:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 64478339

Thank you for the advice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be aware there will also be pension implications, unless you pay a fairly large sum for each year you are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hilarymcl

Go for it! I think all teachers should have a compulsory career break every 7 -10 years at least. Widen your horizons, have a great year out and come back refreshed and ready for a new year. I've taken 2 career breaks so far and have not regretted one minute of them. Your principal will not find it difficult to find a temporary teacher for the year. You can sell it to her/him by pointing out the great experiences you will have which you can share with the children when you return. Have a brilliant year!

Advertisement