Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is your academic subject when qualifying with your BEd degree?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I was wondering if any primary school teachers, principals or any st pats graduates out there could help me out here!
    I am just wondering how important the academic subject will be when I try to find a job when I qualify? I am aware that it is worth 25% of the BEd degree from pats but what I would like to know is if some academic subjects are valued higher than the others regardless of the overall mark e.g. would a principal be more impressed if I took a more difficult academic subject like Geography and got a 2.1 in it rather than having a first in an 'easier' subject like English?
    Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I had a longer piece written but basically - English is absolutely not an easy option in Mary I anyway.

As far as job applications go, I don't think subject choice makes a big difference. My advice would be to go for the subject you enjoy because you'll be putting a lot of work into it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I took Irish and it was certainly a help. I don't think principals look at whether a subject is thought to be harder/easier, but may consider what would best suit the needs of their school.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 40047002

Thanks for the replies. They were in line with my assumptions... but then I heard stories!! Just making sure there wasn't any truth behind the hearsay :D

Advertisement