Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"begrudgery"/welfare.

Options
  • 07-03-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes threads on boards ie are almost too much of an education..

This thread on accommodation..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056184518

As I am on an ancient laptop and very limited web time, I did not get to reply to this before the thread was closed.

"This is an perfect example of what SMCarrick reffered to when he said peoples expectations of what is a basic standard of living and what is a luxury has been lost recently.

you say you have a limited but fine life but question how you would live with less money. you could perhaps start by getting rid of your internet bill, internet is a luxury that somebody on benefits shouldnt expect to have, as is television, radio etc.

benefits should help, feed, heat, put clothes on somebodies back and a roof over their head. Nothing more.

Its not a snobbory thing its people assuming they should have X,Y, & Z because they think they are entitled. "

Words fail; it is dehumanising isn;t it? Suddenly - and the bit the poster here picked on was part of a longer post - everyone is expected to become a vegetable? people in prison have better lives than this. Small wonder so many are on prescription valium etc...

I have a small internet access that more than pays its way in money saved on postage and transport. And keeping in touch with folk is vital to the old and disabled..

Having some fun also is vital for good health....

Back to the workhouse it seems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't think most people understand the concept behind welfare. Welfare is not there for someone to live from, it is an emergency arrangement to tide you over and help you out in your time of need. It helps you pay bills and put food on the table until you can get back into employment. It is not there to help pay off loans, mortgages or go on weekend away somewhere. However for some reason people think it should be able to do these things. I'm not sure why you use the word begrudgery in your title as relying on social welfare can be soul destroying especially when work is very hard to find. I can't imagine anyone would begrudge someone who is in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Benefit and Assistance payments are indeed there to help those entitled to the payments to survive hard times. And, as long as they are not breaking any laws, what people need to do to survive is completely and absolutely and utterly their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 forensic

How's this for "begrudgery"?

Social welfare told me I should get rid of my pets as I obviously can't afford them.....

I was shocked to say the least. I don't have kids because they're a HUGE responsibility and WAY too expensive. But if i did have a child, prior to availing of social welfare, and then my circumstances changed, would the SW be saying to me to get rid of the child?

I'd imagine anyone here that does have children would feed and clothe them before feeding and clothing themselves, and ask anyone with a pet, who they consider a member of the family, and they would probably say the same thing.

I'd go without food, heat, dentist/doctor visits, before I'd not feed my pets or bring them to the vet.

Pets, just like children, can't look after themselves so its OUR responsibility as the grown ups to look after them as far as I'm concerned.

The list of so called luxuries goes on. Internet access, bus tickets, contraception (believe it or not!)

The mind boggles......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

forensic wrote: »
    How's this for "begrudgery"?

Social welfare told me I should get rid of my pets as I obviously can't afford them.....

None of their business, maybe they were just giving advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 forensic

professore wrote: »
    None of their business, maybe they were just giving advice ?

Absolutely none of their business, but no it wasn't just advice, I was told out straight to get rid of them! Two cats I might add.

Oh I don't know anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

This thread isn't really suitable to State Benefits - moving to Humanities. Apologies Mods if its not the correct forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement