Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire drills in primary schools

Options
  • 09-01-2011 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Must Primary schools run fire drills?
    If so how many should be run?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We have two/three a year.We do one without the alarm the first time with the infants,one we expect and one we are not expecting. I would presume a school would have a drill as part of their health and safety policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

byhookorbycrook, do you know whose responsibility it is to schedule fire drills - principal or BOM?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our school, we have a health and safety officer, as part of her post,she takes it on(very well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Ha! We don't have any posts anymore - postholders retired over the last few years so none left!

Just shows how silly the moratorium is. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i was a pre school teacher and we had to do one every month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Regardless of posts, moratorium etc every staff must have a H&S representative as must every BOM. Re fire drills we have 3 per annum, one with warning for everyone, one with staff warning only, and one with no warning at all.
    (Mind you, we're a mid 1970s, single storey building and the local fire officers advice on a recent visit was that if we ever had a real fire we should open the windows and exit that way :confused: but should continue with drills as good social training in the event of fires in other situations etc - was left scratching my head after that one)

Advertisement