Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with gangsters.

Options
  • 02-09-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Watching the news this evening, I was struck by the story of the criminal gang who had a shipment of guns and drugs intercepted by aq joint operation between the PSNI and the Gardai.

The story went on to mention the fact that the operation was alledgedly run from prison by the same man serving life for the murder of Veronica Guerin.

Im find myself now more and more perplexed by the notion of hardened criminals running their drug and murder businesses from a place intended to protect the public from these types.

Maybe its time for us as a society to consider an even more stingent method to protect us from these criminals.

Should we consider a type of incarceration similar to the Supermax prisons in the U.S? Where prisoners are locked up for 23 hours a day...no visitors...electronic equipment to jam phone signals..daily cell searches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

I reckon we need somethin like that, although by all accounts they still run thier gangs even from max..(americas hardest jails)
    Is it a thing that the prisoners rights are given priority over the average law abiding citizens?? I reckon that prison should revert back (within reason) to the way it was meant to be, the loss of your liberty. You shouldnt still have access to the outside world if your freedom is supposed to be taken away from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I reckon they should ship them off to Christmas Island or wherever your man Dreyfuss was sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

It's not a top-down solution.

Government needs to take a holistic approach to the issue by inhibiting the very culture of criminal gang participation which must include schools and educational incentives, social workers, social welfare benefits, the gardai, youth action groups, and of course a hardline approach to crime on behalf of the judiciary and the prison services.

If you don't destroy the very root of the problem you just get new and fresher trouble sprouting at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They are men involved in the drugs trade who occasionally shoot each other during disputes. 'Gangsters' on the other hand, are a confection beloved of (and extremely useful to) the tabloids and law-and-order nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Without a doubt our worst criminals e.g filth like John Gilligan, should be in a max security no-frills prison wing, where they spend most of their time locked up in isolation, have no luxuries of any kind and are subject to regular cell searches. It's a joke that these guys are getting hold of drugs, access to phones and all the while still influencing operations on the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well people could stop buying drugs such as cocaine for a start. I get so annoyed with the people I know who buy hash and cocaine but go on about how "their dealer" is a nice bloke not involved in the criminal side of things, as if he flies the coke in from Columbia on Ryanair himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Clytus wrote: »
    Watching the news this evening, I was struck by the story of the criminal gang who had a shipment of guns and drugs intercepted by aq joint operation between the PSNI and the Gardai.

The story went on to mention the fact that the operation was alledgedly run from prison by the same man serving life for the murder of Veronica Guerin.

Im find myself now more and more perplexed by the notion of hardened criminals running their drug and murder businesses from a place intended to protect the public from these types.

Maybe its time for us as a society to consider an even more stingent method to protect us from these criminals.

Should we consider a type of incarceration similar to the Supermax prisons in the U.S? Where prisoners are locked up for 23 hours a day...no visitors...electronic equipment to jam phone signals..daily cell searches.

Have them chemically castrated. It would make them more docile and, best of all, would reduce the hardcore scobe population in the country.:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If the people in the prisons weren't controlling the gangs, someone else would be. It is spurious to suggest that depriving prisoners of contact with the outside world will decrease crime in any way.

Am I right in saying that you aren't suggesting this as a genuine way of reducing crime, you want to see criminals punished. That's fine for what it's worth, most people think these days that prisoners should be physically and mentally punished these days, but you should at least recognise that as your goal, instead of pretending that harsher prisons will reduce the level of crime in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well people could stop buying drugs such as cocaine for a start. I get so annoyed with the people I know who buy hash and cocaine but go on about how "their dealer" is a nice bloke not involved in the criminal side of things, as if he flies the coke in from Columbia on Ryanair himself.
    Metals, oil, food, electronics, clothes, etc. are all produced by industries that exploit workers; for example, much of the cocoa that makes your chocolate was picked by slaves in western Africa. Should we, then, refuse all these products also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Metals, oil, food, electronics, clothes, etc. are all produced by industries that exploit workers; for example, much of the cocoa that makes your chocolate was picked by slaves in western Africa. Should we, then, refuse all these products also?

Absolutely not, since they're doing us no direct harm.
    Drugs are different in that regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Absolutely not, since they're doing us no direct harm.
    Drugs are different in that regards.

Interesting that as a consumer, you don't mind who is harmed as long as it's not you. :p

Criminals don't always kill each other to control illegal businesses, for example, mafia extortion rackets and whatever.

The causality argument is a valid point. As a member of a so-called developed country, a lot of the luxuries you enjoy are as a result of the misery of others. As consumers, I guess very little of us can say that we live completely non-compromised lives.

Of course, in the case of cocaine, the illegality of the drugs themselves is the point. That's why they should be legal. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well yes. Which is where movements like Fair Trade come in.

Are you telling me that you would buy hot chocolate of someone you know frequently murders people? I imagine not.

Yet people every Friday night are perfectly happy to buy drugs off people who wouldn't think twice about shooting up a family home to kill a competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well yes. Which is where movements like Fair Trade come in.

Are you telling me that you would buy hot chocolate of someone you know frequently murders people? I imagine not.

Yet people every Friday night are perfectly happy to buy drugs off people who wouldn't think twice about shooting up a family home to kill a competitor.

I think in both cases they wouldn't think about the possibility.

Most people don't care about gangsters getting shot, I myself think "well he knew what he was doing getting into that game"

Innocent bystanders do get hit sometimes but its pretty rare compared to the actual criminals getting shot.

As for the topic, I once heard someone suggest very major heroin dealers should be done for crimes against humanity. Though I'm not sure where that puts the Afghan farmer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Clytus wrote: »
    What to do with gangsters.
    Two words...

Soylent Green.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'll stop buying hash when you stop buying petrol. Do you hate women so much you're willing to fund states in the middle east who will opress them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Throw acid in their faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

We can solve both problems by increasing our domestic production!

Keep the money in the country, I say!

Cut the haemorrhage of funds to criminal or unsavory groups!

Hemp for victory!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Build a bonfire,
    build a bonfire
    Put Gangsters on the top,
    put scumbags in the middle and
    burn the ****ing lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

While there is an underground market for drugs, there will always be people ('gangsters') selling them, and people buying them.

The only long-term solution for this, is to legalize and strictly regulate drugs; which has obvious public-health drawbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What if we really want cocaine though? There are no alternatives to purchasing it.

• Advertisement

The only long-term solution for this, is to legalize and strictly regulate drugs; which has obvious public-health drawbacks.

Yes, drawbacks such as less dangerous impurities from quality control; less induced demand from 'pushing' economics, regulation of situations of use, less organised violence due to taking away a principal driving cash flow, and so on. Truly, a nightmare scenario! We'd have to fund junkies retirements in comfortable surroundings from the massive tax revenues rather than keep them in prisons, and we'd need to find new hate figures (I suggest paedophiles, that always works)

It's ironic that we are one the one hand so into the free-market as a social ideology, yet criminalise recreational chemicals...Aceepting the basic premise of supply and demand, yet criminalising commonly used substances, we can hardly be surprised or appalled that the vacuum is filled by illegal supply. Criminalization as a policy is complicit, and bears a fair measure of responsibility for every gang-related death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The Government's attitude to crime in this country is so weak.

Repeat offenders and people with no respect for life or society should be permanently removed from our streets.

Prison should be made a much more unpleasant experience - little human contact, no television, etc.

I would agree to paying 1% or 2% more tax to fund this.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The Government's attitude to crime in this country is so weak.

Repeat offenders and people with no respect for life or society should be permanently removed from our streets.

Prison should be made a much more unpleasant experience - little human contact, no television, etc.

I would agree to paying 1% or 2% more tax to fund this.

The government is elected by the people.So in fact what you are saying is that we,as a nation,are weak on crime. If this is so, then why not lobby politicians to change the law. They will bow to pressure when public opinion is going against them. Making Prison a much more unpleasant experience???? All very well but there are factors that have to be considered.Like the human aspect of incarceration,what do you mean make it more "unpleasant"?

Like the human aspect of incarceration,what do you mean make it more "unpleasant"?

The 'make prison harder' argument makes complete sense if you believe prison works as an effective deterrent; if there is crime, prison *must* be too easy...

A 'Final Solution' to the 'Criminal Problem'? Tends to be expensive, and have certain other problems...

[quote[Prison should be made a much more unpleasant experience - little human contact, no television, etc.[/quote]

Strangely, I've never heard anyone who has been in, or worked at, a prison saying it is 'too easy' (presumably they want to keep their cushy secrets); but the populist 'i can hurts moar plx?' approach can't get enough of it...the more degrading the better. Seems to be more about revenge fantasies and sadism than anything approaching rational policy tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

low detection rate means that its a good gamble. The risk vs reward is stacked in favour of the reward. Crime pays in this country. We know this from the drug dealer on the street to the highest level of goverment. Yet there are so little repercssions.

2 solutions : local people get p*ssed off, form vigilante gangs and deal with their local dealers.

Or alternatively wait until when we need to get a government in based on reducing crime like the uk did a while back with tony and co.

However I can honestly see the first happing quicker and being more effective than the latter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement