Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion whats your stance?

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

F.A wrote:
    God, what a silly discussion! If an embryo is the same as a child, why on earth isn't a child the same as a teenager or an adult??

You clearly don't understand that an embryo is a stage in human life, such as those you have just described. An embryo isn't the same as a teenager or adult because it is less developed and more youthful. Why isn't a toddler the same an adult? Why don't baby males have stubble? Surely this is what is silly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Virgil° wrote: »
    That is in fact what i was asking. I dont see it as murder.
    Would you be happy with people genetically creating adult bodies without brains and using them as say, sex toys/target practice/food?
    Heres another one....Do you consider this "murder" of a human without a brain to be immoral?
    Sure - if it's murder, it's immoral.
    A touch irrelevant mayhap.
    No less irrelevant that the brain to me. It's an other organ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Zulu wrote: »
    I never said that.
    What is it with some of the abortion supporters on this thread, that you misquote posters, and make up false positions?

If your own argument is so weak that you feel the need to do this - perhaps you should consider why.

I am not an abortion supporter, I am a supporter of choice.

kizzyr wrote: »
    I am not an abortion supporter, I am a supporter of choice.
    I know - and you have the manners not to misquote me. Thank you for that Kizzyr. If it wasn't for poster like yourself I'd have left this thread a long time ago. :)

However, you don't support the choice of the child to live though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

so you are a supporter of choice? obviously you segragate your pro-choice attitude to the women and not to the unborn wheres the choice there?
    you never answered my question in relation to what i asked to you about my aunt and uncle would you call them selfish to their face? surely if you truely believe there are then you would?
    would you look into my cousins eyes and still be of the belief tat she'd be better off dead?
    would you tell her sister that her parents are selfish for bringing her into the world? and that it would have been humane to kill her?would like your answers please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

What I was hinting at is that basic rights (should) exist regardless of race, creed, or development status. Basic rights like the right to life.

In that case, we will have to agree to disagree. The right to life does, in my opinion, very much depend on the development status or age of the creature involved.
    Law awards adults the ability to decide for themselves. Society acknowledges that children require care for their well being and attempts to protect them from themselves and negligent parents by enforcing age restrictions on certain thing. Cigarettes, drink, adult content material etc.

I am sorry if you have answered this before, I just want to be sure: Do you think it is okay to use the Morning After Pill? Irish society itself does. So clearly, it awards less rights to the human being that is not yet at the stage of implantation in the womb. The crucial thing is, it denies this human being the right to life. My believe is that it is also okay to abort a human being up to 12 weeks of age. Many people share my believe. Irish society (including you) does not share it, but then, Irish society doesn't share the believe 16 year olds should have the right to consensual sex. Many societies disagree.
    However, some rights supersede these restrictions.
    The right to life.
    The right to an education.
    The right to worship without interference, to name a few.

So embryos should be getting an education too since this right according to you supersides restrictions? :confused:
    So, do I believe that the state is justified to enforce laws that protect children: absolutely, so long as these restrictions don't impede the childs basic human rights.
    You see, societies and people disagree on what exactly protects children and for how long this protection is needed - see above. What it comes down is judgement calls in which children are hardly ever heard. Hell, even parents disagree on which rights their child should have in order to protect them. Who are you to say that a woman opting for abortion is not making a judgement call that says it is in the best interest of ALL for her pregnancy to be terminated?

Jakkass wrote: »
    You clearly don't understand that an embryo is a stage in human life, such as those you have just described. An embryo isn't the same as a teenager or adult because it is less developed and more youthful. Why isn't a toddler the same an adult? Why don't baby males have stubble? Surely this is what is silly?

If you read the actual points made before my post, you will see that this is exactly my point. An embryo is not a fetus is not a child is not a teenager is not an adult. So discussing that embryos or fetuses (not sure about the plural here) are children is indeed silly.

F.A. wrote: »
    I am sorry if you have answered this before, I just want to be sure: Do you think it is okay to use the Morning After Pill? Irish society itself does. So clearly, it awards less rights to the human being that is not yet at the stage of implantation in the womb. The crucial thing is, it denies this human being the right to life. My believe is that it is also okay to abort a human being up to 12 weeks of age. Many people share my believe. Irish society (including you) does not share it, but then, Irish society doesn't share the believe 16 year olds should have the right to consensual sex. Many societies disagree.

Other societies are irrelevant to Ireland's legal decision on abortion. If 16 year olds wish to have consenual sex, they can either 1) lobby for it or 2) migrate. Likewise the same applies for you with the case for abortion.

If you read the actual points made before my post, you will see that this is exactly my point. An embryo is not a fetus is not a child is not a teenager is not an adult. So discussing that embryos or fetuses (not sure about the plural here) are children is indeed silly.

Class A irrelevant, if a foetus is a human being they are to be afforded the right to live like the rest of humanity.

Other societies are irrelevant to Ireland's legal decision on abortion. If 16 year olds wish to have consenual sex, they can either 1) lobby for it or 2) migrate. Likewise the same applies for you with the case for abortion.

This discussion, however, is about our stance on abortion. It is therefore perfectly legitimate to point out that societies disagree. Just because Irish law is what it is, doesn't make it right or wrong. And thanks, there is no need for me to lobby or migrate as I am not Irish (sigh of relief, I know ;) ).

• Advertisement

Class A irrelevant, if a foetus is a human being they are to be afforded the right to live like the rest of humanity.

Aaah, so prior to implantation in the womb, we are not talking about human beings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

LOL you sound like a sign in the zoo:)

Feeding was not my intention but it did make me think of how intelligent primates are and how very close we are to them. Yet we still will use them to our own ends.
    Take this hypothetical scenario: you're walking home one evening and on your way you happen across a burning building. The building is a medical facility. You rush in to see if anyone is left behind and needs your help. You spot a 3 month old baby that has been left behind, an orangutan locked in a cage but is screaming loudly and reaches out to you for help when it sees you, and finally a tray of embryos. You have time to rescue only one of these items, what do you go for? The baby, everyone takes the baby, its something the can see and hear, something they can identify with.
    If we go back to the burning building and this time there is no baby just the orangutan and the tray of human embyros. Which do you rescue?
    I'd go for the orangutan, its a living breathing entity, the embryos are embryos and as far as I am concerned aren't alive.

good post BTW - it really gets to the essense of how we percieve the unborn.

what we are dealing with is an intangible concept and trying to fit it into a semblance of order.

Well I wouldnt come accross a try of embryos or know what they were if I did but if you put a container with a human heart ready for transplant it would be closer to the point.

the embryos in an abotion sense are not quite alive but and this" aliveness"
    kindof increases in the same way as the heart for transplant isnt quite alive but is.

I am sorry if you have answered this before, I just want to be sure: Do you think it is okay to use the Morning After Pill?
    Wellllll, I'm not an expert but I understand taking the MAP isn't ideal, and shouldn't happen to often, so on that ground it's not great. However that wasn't your point.
    No I don't have a problem with the MAP. It's a grey area alright, but I guess I justify it by acknowledging that the egg mightn't have be fertilised yet, or settled into the lining of the womb. So the woman isn't pregnant per say.
    it awards less rights to the human being that is not yet at the stage of implantation in the womb.
    Well yea, it could just be an egg.
    The crucial thing is, it denies this human being the right to life.
    Well, that's not accurate. There is no human yet.
    My believe is that it is also okay to abort a human being up to 12 weeks of age.
    Post birth? ('m working off the fact that you don't recognise a foetus as a human, or are you now acknowledging that?)
    Many societies disagree.
    True, but this is Ireland.
    Who are you to say that a woman opting for abortion is not making a judgement call that says it is in the best interest of ALL for her pregnancy to be terminated?
    Who am I? I'm a member of my society. I'm a citizen.

It's my civic duty to make a judgement and vote.

I know - and you have the manners not to misquote me. Thank you for that Kizzyr. If it wasn't for poster like yourself I'd have left this thread a long time ago. :)

However, you don't support the choice of the child to live though. ;)

This debate can be very interesting when those involved in it play nicely. :) It is good to talk things out with people of differing opinions when people manage to stay civil.
    I am a strong advocate of children's rights. I also think it is dreadful to see women who are pregnant abuse their body and the foetus through alcohol and / or drug consumption. I think any woman who decides to have a child has a moral obligation to be as healty as possible and so allow the developing foetus to be as healty as she can. However, I do think, in the early stages of pregnancy that a woman be allowed to examine her options and if she comes to the conclusion that a termination is the only option for her then yes, her rights at this stage trump those of the developing foetus.
    I strongly disagree with the concept of abortion on demand just for the sake of it. I think people should always practice safe sex not only to avoid an unwanted pregnancy but also for their health and the impact that has on society. I quite simply support a person's right to chose, as I said before I supported the man involved in the frozen embryo case, I think he was entitled to exercise his choice not to become a parent.
    This issue isn't for me, a male female thing, it isn't about rape, or religion, it is about the right to bodily integrity and privacy, the right to decide what will and won't happen to it. I simply do not see a foetus as having a greater claim on her body than a woman does herself.

Well yea, it could just be an egg.
    And it could just as well be a fertilised egg. We cannot predict. Just as we cannot predict that nature won't terminate the pregnancy during the first 12 weeks.
    Well, that's not accurate. There is no human yet.
    Like I said, we don't know that unless you do not think of a fertilised egg as a human being.
    Post birth? ('m working off the fact that you don't recognise a foetus as a human, or are you now acknowledging that?)

How is that a fact? I never claimed that a foetus wasn't human, so I have nothing to acknowledge. So much for not misquoting, right? ;)

I do, however, deny that an embryo is a foetus or a foetus a child. I know you disagree, so let's not go there again, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gman086

your wrong ye mad biscuit. eveie should be kicked.

How is that a fact? I never claimed that a foetus wasn't human, so I have nothing to acknowledge. So much for not misquoting, right? ;)
    I apologise, you didn't. You suggested that it could be human, it just wasn't a child.
    It was an honest mistake; hardly a blatant misquote.
    I do, however, deny that an embryo is a foetus or a foetus a child. I know you disagree, so let's not go there again, please.
    Well you'll have to excuse me then if I misquote you again. You have to understand that when you pick and choose the meaning of words as it suits you, it's hard for me to ensure that I'm accurate when quoting you.
    You could, however make things a whole lot simpler by using words as per their meaning in the dictionary.

You mean the way I did? Look up child again. The very FIRST definition is the one I continously refer to.

You could, however make things a whole lot simpler by using words as per their meaning in the dictionary.

Oh btw, you might want to apply the same strategy with regards to the definition of the term abortion. Personally, I could not detect the words 'murder' or 'killing', but there you go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

gman unless your going to actually add to the discussion with an intelligent post i suggest you dont post again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Laura Appleby

If I hadn't heard about Russia and China where abortion is treated like a contraceptive method, on a miniscule scale there may have been some chance I'd agree with you. However I don't agree with a murder that is on the same scale as 7 Holocaust's in one year across the world (50 million). I thought reading about the killings of Jews, homosexuals, and gypsys was bad enough, but contemplate 7 times more.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Holocaust and abortion and for you to compare it denegrates the true atrocity that was committed by the Nazi's. Nature eliminates milions of unfit foetuses of its own accord every year. Nature gives life but it also takes it away just as easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Nature eliminates milions of unfit foetuses of its own accord every year. Nature gives life but it also takes it away just as easily
    The idea that because foetues die of natural causes abortion is ok is hardly a logical one in a debate such as this. Children 'naturally' have a higher mortality rate than adults, but we're not allowed go around slaughtering them at a whim.

If Jakkass equates a fetus to a human life, then his comparison is valid from his perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There is absolutely no comparison between the Holocaust and abortion and for you to compare it denegrates the true atrocity that was committed by the Nazi's.
    The Nazis murdered everyone who got in the way of their plans. Men, women children and babies. We all know the reasons for the killings were specious. Much like killing babies because it's going to upset your social calendar. Abortion is another Holocaust going on under our noses perpetrated by the people we least expect, the mothers of the children being murdered.

You mean the way I did? Look up child again. The very FIRST definition is the one I continously refer to.
    Indeed - you just choose to ignore the rest of the definition is it?
    Oh btw, you might want to apply the same strategy with regards to the definition of the term abortion. Personally, I could not detect the words 'murder' or 'killing', but there you go...
    Murder of killing doesn't have to be stated. That isn't the way proving something works. Do I really need to explain this? Sigh.

Take the word "shoot". If I shoot you, I'd be murdering or killing you. Yet the definition of the word "shoot" won't contain murder or kill. Can you guess why? You see the absence of the word doesn't prove the opposite.

Indeed - you just choose to ignore the rest of the definition is it?

I am not ignoring anything. I use the word to the meaning given by the first definition. Just because that doesn't suit you, doesn't make it wrong as it would otherwise not be defined as it is.
    Murder of killing doesn't have to be stated. That isn't the way proving something works. Do I really need to explain this? Sigh.

Take the word "shoot". If I shoot you, I'd be murdering or killing you. Yet the definition of the word "shoot" won't contain murder or kill. Can you guess why? You see the absence of the word doesn't prove the opposite.

You will have to excuse that I cannot take you seriously anymore. You cannot even be bothered to check up on the stuff you so confidently and condescendingly try to present as fact. Shoot:
    to hit, wound, damage, kill, or destroy with a missile discharged from a weapon.

The idea that because foetues die of natural causes abortion is ok is hardly a logical one in a debate such as this. Children 'naturally' have a higher mortality rate than adults, but we're not allowed go around slaughtering them at a whim.

If Jakkass equates a fetus to a human life, then his comparison is valid from his perspective.

and for someone who doesn't see the foetus as anything other than a foetus and so doesn't see a termination as murder then their things are valid from their perspective.
    Hagar wrote: »
    The Nazis murdered everyone who got in the way of their plans. Men, women children and babies. We all know the reasons for the killings were specious. Much like killing babies because it's going to upset your social calendar. Abortion is another Holocaust going on under our noses perpetrated by the people we least expect, the mothers of the children being murdered.

Again what is murder to one is nothing like it for another. Also are you a mother the very second you become pregnant simply an expectant one? Isn't it only post birth that a woman becomes a mother?

A great deal of publicity is afforded the poor unfortunate pregnant women who was killed in the Omagh bombing. They seem to think that there was some extra loss of life when her unborn children died. Are they wrong?

This debate can be very interesting when those involved in it play nicely. :) It is good to talk things out with people of differing opinions when people manage to stay civil.
    I am a strong advocate of children's rights. I also think it is dreadful to see women who are pregnant abuse their body and the foetus through alcohol and / or drug consumption. I think any woman who decides to have a child has a moral obligation to be as healty as possible and so allow the developing foetus to be as healty as she can. However, I do think, in the early stages of pregnancy that a woman be allowed to examine her options and if she comes to the conclusion that a termination is the only option for her then yes, her rights at this stage trump those of the developing foetus.
    I strongly disagree with the concept of abortion on demand just for the sake of it. I think people should always practice safe sex not only to avoid an unwanted pregnancy but also for their health and the impact that has on society. I quite simply support a person's right to chose, as I said before I supported the man involved in the frozen embryo case, I think he was entitled to exercise his choice not to become a parent.
    This issue isn't for me, a male female thing, it isn't about rape, or religion, it is about the right to bodily integrity and privacy, the right to decide what will and won't happen to it. I simply do not see a foetus as having a greater claim on her body than a woman does herself.
    seeing your pro-choice and all that

pro-choice campaigners are like the US gun lobby saying its not guns that kill people its people that kill people.

the pro-life campaigners are like the gun control lobby saying but what controls do you want

the pro-choice group always say well no controls at all and thats what I have difficulty with

You propose abortion in certain circumstances but from experience in other countries it is in fact unrestricted abortion with little or no actual control. In the same way as the gun lobby we are being asked to accept collateral damage as a way of life

So what are you proposing and what controls would you have in place?

Whats wrong with the current status quo lets face it anyone who wants it can go to the UK cheaply enough- so is there someting special about aborting in Ireland with your own people? If people dont care about it and its not traumatic and its just a procedure - whats the big deal about needing it in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Laura Appleby

Hagar wrote: »

That is such a narrow minded view to take that women only have abortions because pregnancy upsets their social calender. you obviously have it in your mind that women who choose termination do so because they are shallow and view babies as a mere inconvenience. this is simply not the case a lot of thought and tears go into these decisions and i imagine that it is a decision that is never taken lightly. I think it is offensive to reduce the suffering of women who choose termination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Let people do what they want. simple as.

That is such a narrow minded view to take that women only have abortions because pregnancy upsets their social calender. you obviously have it in your mind that women who choose termination do so because they are shallow and view babies as a mere inconvenience. this is simply not the case a lot of thought and tears go into these decisions and i imagine that it is a decision that is never taken lightly. I think it is offensive to reduce the suffering of women who choose termination

You lost me now, why would anyone put a lot of thought and tears into the removal of a bit of tissue? It's not like it's anything important is it? Where does the suffering come from? Why isn't the decision taken lightly? It means nothing surely?

Unless of course it's more than a bit of tissue...
    I think you have acknowledged that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The simple truth, right there!

I am not ignoring anything. I use the word to the meaning given by the first definition. Just because that doesn't suit you, doesn't make it wrong as it would otherwise not be defined as it is. You will have to excuse that I cannot take you seriously anymore.
    That is your prerogative.
    You cannot even be bothered to check up on the stuff you so confidently and condescendingly try to present as fact. Shoot:
    to hit, wound, damage, kill, or destroy with a missile discharged from a weapon.
    You are quite right, I only read through the first 54 definitions cited in the dictionary. I didn't check the "American Heritage Dictionary's" definition. You'll have to excuse me. Although I'll let you make up your own mind on American English.

Isn't it your whole post slightly hypercritical though? In the first half of your post you claim it's acceptable to only select one definition of a word.

However, that's neither here nor there.

Can you not understand the original point I was making though?

The simple truth, right there!
    Rape, pillage, murder and paedophilia for everyone.

Why didn't anyone else think of that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Rape, pillage, murder and paedophilia for everyone.

Why didn't anyone else think of that???

They did and somalia has been quite the success.

• Advertisement

That is your prerogative.
    I know it is. I make full usage of it, trust me. This is the last time I am going to entertain you as it is getting totally ridiculous now. Why? Well...:
    I only read through the first 54 definitions cited in the dictionary. I didn't check the "American Heritage Dictionary's" definition. You'll have to excuse me. Although I'll let you make up your own mind on American English.

You are actually lying. If you had gone through the first 54 definitions cited in the dictionary, you would have seen that the one I gave you is the VERY FIRST. Just like with the word child if you remember. What is it with you and first entries in the dictionary? 'Doesn't suit = not valid'??
    Isn't it your whole post slightly hypercritical though? In the first half of your post you claim it's acceptable to only select one definition of a word.

My post is hypercritical (sic)?? Lol! I have never claimed that the definitions I use are the only ones the dictionary gives you. You, however, have claimed that a word you chose would not contain the word kill in a dictionary when it actually comes up in the very first entry. That is not hypocritical, that is correcting blatant lies spread in an attempt to score a cheap point.
    However, that's neither here nor there.

Oh, but it is. How come you are the one who can choose not only when to apply their own morals with regard to killing and when to just ignore them, and you are also the one who gets to condescendingly try to present lies for facts and, when caught red-handed, can just dismiss it as neither here nor there? You seem to labour under the illusion that normal rules of rational discussion do not apply to you.
    Can you not understand the original point I was making though?
    Not really, no. Making associations with a word such as abortion does not mean it actually means what you consider it to. That is why we have dictionaries in the first place. Otherwise, I will happily claim that 'Zulu' is the same as ignorant, hypocritical, self-righteous fundamentalist. But we all know that's not the case. Or do we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Carlybabe, to suggest I'm dodging questions is pathetic. And a lie.

Im still waiting for you to explain why you believe you have the right to tell someone else what to do with thier bodies ??? And lets not waste our time with the ridiculous argument of drugs/drink/ yada yada. Taking them isnt illegal in this country anyway, (open to correction) selling them is. Ive never heard of an addict being arrested cause s/he was stoned so its a moot point.

And this is what democracy means,
    Even though there is no universally accepted definition of 'democracy',[3] there are two principles that any definition of democracy include. The first principle is that all members of the society have equal access to power and the second that all members enjoy universally recognized freedoms and liberties.[4][5][6]
    Let me stress this: I've answered all you questions. If I omitted one, I apologise.
    Please point it out and I'll answer it now.

Please see above

I say AGAIN

That was a link to an embryology page that scientifically explains the stages of development of a fetus, but seeing as you dismissed it I can only assume that it has information that you would rather disregard as you may have to think a bit more about the basis of your argument.

Also, Im not sure if its just me but I doubt it, theres a bit of a trend of being called a liar, and being uncivil and getting the thread closed yada yada, and I note it only happens when a good point is made by the pro choice people, so I would suggest that in future the rules are adhered to and posts are reported if/when deemed abusive/uncivil.

[SIZE=+1]Dorsal View of an Embryo at about 22 days (8 somite stage)[/SIZE]

somites2.gif 22 days = just over 3 wks..... To me it certainly doesn't look like a baby

carlybabe humans are the only species that intentionally terminate pregnancy.

I have trying to get the point in terms of what people post in embryoligy terms but I cant get it

the closest I can get to it is a heart awaiting transplant it has an aliveness and if a patient needs it it should have it.

I also find the Jehovah Witnesses objections to blood transfusions for children appaling

And feel that pregnant women who take drugs should be locked up like they are in Florida

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    Im still waiting for you to explain why you believe you have the right to tell someone else what to do with thier bodies ???
    I answered that here and another number of times on this thread.

I am still waiting for you to answer even ONE of the questions I asked.
    And this is what democracy means...
    I'm sorry, what's your point? I know what a democracy is.
    That was a link to an embryology page that scientifically explains the stages of development of a fetus, but seeing as you dismissed
    I didn't dismiss it. I asked you to point out where it proves a foetus isn't a human - the very reason you linked it.
    I couldn't see any where in that link that suggested a foetus isn't human.
    ...who gets to condescendingly try to present lies for facts
    The only "lie" I presented as "fact" was suggesting that the word "kill" wasn't used to define "shoot".
    For that I apologise. And I retract that "lie".
    and, when caught red-handed, can just dismiss it as neither here nor there? You seem to labour under the illusion that normal rules of rational discussion do not apply to you.
    That's an unfortunate inaccuracy. I was suggesting that this argument about whether "kill" is used in the definition of "shoot" is here nor there in the overall context of the abortion debate. I mistakenly used it to attempt to prove to you that the absence of a word in a definition doesn't prove anything.
    Not really, no. Making associations with a word such as abortion does not mean it actually means what you consider it to. That is why we have dictionaries in the first place.
    Well I'm glad you acknowledge at leat that, because all I was trying to prove with the dictionary is that a foetus is a human child. Thank you.
    Otherwise, I will happily claim that 'Zulu' is the same as ignorant, hypocritical, self-righteous fundamentalist. But we all know that's not the case. Or do we?

There is no need for veiled personal insults FA.

That's simply rude, ignorant and childish.

• Advertisement

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    [SIZE=+1]Dorsal View of an Embryo at about 22 days (8 somite stage)[/SIZE]

somites2.gif 22 days = just over 3 wks..... To me it certainly doesn't look like a baby

Here's one at 14 weeks, looks like a baby to me.

baby14weeks.jpg

CDfm wrote: »
    carlybabe humans are the only species that intentionally terminate pregnancy.

Believe it or not thats not the case, male lions having taken over a pride will copulate with any pregnant female lions to induce abortions, as well as killing any cubs already born and fathered by previous male of said pride.
    As for fetal defects, women can sponaneously abort naturally due to defects, as do many species in the animal kingdom.
    I have trying to get the point in terms of what people post in embryoligy terms but I cant get it

the closest I can get to it is a heart awaiting transplant it has an aliveness and if a patient needs it it should have it.

Not really sure what ya mean by this CD, If its to do with cut off point then I reckon 16wks, and 20 only in dire circumstances, dont know what ye mean by the heart thing
    I also find the Jehovah Witnesses objections to blood transfusions for children appaling
    I absolutely couldnt agree with you more, and I personally am glad that religious freedom doesnt go that far in this country.
    And feel that pregnant women who take drugs should be locked up like they are in Florida

Having seen and heard first hand the bone tingling cry of a new born premie going through withdrawls im inclined to agree, but locked up in rehab centers, not jail as the drugs are probably of a better class and easier to get in there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

yet again another abortion thread turns into name calling and insults.
    thread closed.
    the next time something like this happens - users will be banned

Shame that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement