Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to send group text?

Options
  • 16-01-2017 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

for the life of me i can't figure this out...i used to be able to send group texts, but now i can't. I was with 3, and on a lumia 1020 when I last sent out group texts.

I'm now on vodafone, on a lumia 950. I have set up the group in my contacts, but there's no option to send from here. When I go to Messaging, the group isn't visible when I click the + button in the address field.

I have enabled MMS group text, and have entered the vodafone MMS APN details.

(i know i can just type in each name and keep using that text, but still, this is bugging me now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you are in the People App, open the Group and at the bottom of the list of group members there is the option "Message Everyone" (now it might say "Message 8 of 11" if you only have mobile numbers for 8 of the 11 members of the group).

This will send a message to everyone at once. However, replies will not come inline as a thread like with iMessage, WhatsApp or Skype, they will come from the individuals to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

If you are in the People App, open the Group and at the bottom of the list of group members there is the option "Message Everyone" (now it might say "Message 8 of 11" if you only have mobile numbers for 8 of the 11 members of the group).

This will send a message to everyone at once. However, replies will not come inline as a thread like with iMessage, WhatsApp or Skype, they will come from the individuals to you.

thanks fingle - i saw that, and assumed "Message Everyone" was a statement rather than an option. (texts are info only, don't need or want group chat.)

why MS couldn't just stick with the option of selecting the group from within the messaging app i don't know.

on a related note, does anyone use the Group Me app? Do the recipients also need to have the app in order for it to work?

I'm still having issues with this :

Lumia 950 Windows phone - using the standard messaging app
    1st attempt was to set up a group of 13 recipients in my people app and send text from there. Messaging app opens, shows the recipient list and shows the text but the error message I get, pretty much instantly, is "Couldn't send"

2nd attempt was to add each of the 13 recipients individually to the sender list in the messaging app itself. Same error.

I split the group in to 4 sets of 3 and one of 2, adding each recipient individually to the sender list in the messaging app itself. The message does go to the smaller groups.

I've posted in the Vodafone forum too as it may be a vodafone issue....

so Vodafone say it's nothing to do with them and to contact microsoft. before i go down that rabbit hole, does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement