Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moulded concrete for garden patio and path

• 15-05-2021 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi.
    We going to attempt to do the garden ourselves. We want to use moulded concrete. Where's the best place to get these? Any tips or advice would be really appreciated. We are total beginners.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Are you going to make your own paving slabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazylady1

policarp wrote: »
    Are you going to make your own paving slabs?

We're thinking of doing this kind of thing. We're not sure if it's a realistic option though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I think you can rent those concrete moulds.
    If doing so, only do small bays at a time with expansion joints.
    Otherwise in a few years you will have cracks.

policarp wrote: »
    I think you can rent those concrete moulds.
    If doing so, only do small bays at a time with expansion joints.
    Otherwise in a few years you will have cracks.

Thanks Policarp. I'm nervous about doing it. Cracking and splitting is a big worry. We will have to do more research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

crazylady1 wrote: »
    We're thinking of doing this kind of thing. We're not sure if it's a realistic option though

This is the video...

It's not concrete being used, it's mortar. Totally different. Mortar is not designed for this type of application and will probably chip and crack. Also, job looks hellish. Avoid.

Getting actual concrete to look good as a finished surface requires a lot of skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    This is the video...

It's not concrete being used, it's mortar. Totally different. Mortar is not designed for this type of application and will probably chip and crack. Also, job looks hellish. Avoid.

Getting actual concrete to look good as a finished surface requires a lot of skill.

You can always tell tbh. Regardless of how skilled it is. Paint peels up and it looks tatty inside the first 8 years.

Can't stand the stuff myself.

Lumen wrote: »
    This is the video...

Thanks Lumen. I'm going off the idea the more I think about it. I think we will go with paving slabs. I've been looking up YouTube videos on laying a DIY patio. Looks like alot of work but doable and looks much better. Wish us luck!!

Advertisement