Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending a site, to solve a problem.

• 13-05-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We bought an old house on 1/2 an arce and renovated it a few years back.

We are surrounded by poor-quality farm land, that is used very little and left more or less fallow. One side is particularly bad with huge patches covered with knots of briars and the like, and I need to regularly stop them from encroaching into my garden. I have very little room (perhaps 1meter), between the house and the fence on that side.

I could approach the farmer, who I know and ask him from permission to tidy this up a bit - and I doubt there would be problem, he is very easy going, it is part time thing for him. I was also thinking a better solution would be to buy roughly a 1/3 of acre off him and push back the site boundary a bit at the same time. So that any briars that do encroach in future, won't be so close to the air-2-water intake and like.

The 1/3 of an acre I would be buying is literally all briars. Is buying a 1/3 of an acre of non-road frontage land a big deal? Who would need to be involved surveyors, land registry, solicitors ????

Ray K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

MDR wrote: »
    Hi folks,

We are surrounded by poor-quality farm land, that is used very little and left more or less fallow. One side is particularly bad with huge patches covered with knots of briars and the like, and I need to regularly stop them from encroaching into my garden. I have very little room (perhaps 1meter), between the house and the fence on that side.

I could approach the farmer, who I know and ask him from permission to tidy this up a bit - and I doubt there would be problem, he is very easy going, it is part time thing for him. I was also thinking a better solution would be to buy roughly a 1/3 of acre off him and push back the site boundary a bit at the same time. So that any briars that do encroach in future, won't be so close to the air-2-water intake and like.

The 1/3 of an acre I would be buying is literally all briars. Is buying a 1/3 of an acre of non-road frontage land a big deal? Who would need to be involved surveyors, land registry, solicitors ????

Ray K

Might depend if the ground has any area aid payments or the likes as it stands to the farmer. If none and no special value like access or sale of future site... I’ll start the ball rolling at €2.5k into his pocket plus covering of any incurred fees for him. €2k. So cost you €4.5k to €5k in all to buy the ground.

Interested to see what sort of money others think for this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

49801 wrote: »
    Might depend if the ground has any area aid payments or the likes as it stands to the farmer. If none and no special value like access or sale of future site... I’ll start the ball rolling at €2.5k into his pocket plus covering of any incurred fees for him. €2k. So cost you €4.5k to €5k in all to buy the ground.

Interested to see what sort of money others think for this situation.

That’s €7.5 an acre for ground that’s growing briars and no road frontage. Seems a lot. I’d be thinking €1 or €1.5k Would fees be €2k????

Dunedin wrote: »
    That’s €7.5 an acre for ground that’s growing briars and no road frontage. Seems a lot. I’d be thinking €1 or €1.5k Would fees be €2k????

Think there needs to be two solicitors, could be in or around 7/800 each, then stamp duty maybe 7%, and land registry fee is €400. That's without any engineer mapping it out. It adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭148multi

Think there needs to be two solicitors, could be in or around 7/800 each, then stamp duty maybe 7%, and land registry fee is €400. That's without any engineer mapping it out. It adds up.

Would definitely need a engineer, a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't sell land that cheaply to someone just because they asked me for it. Not unless I had wanted to sell it anyway. Briars or no briars it's part of his farm and once it's gone it won't be gotten back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭893bet

Dunedin wrote: »

It’s the only field with frontage to the house though.......if someone came to me and offered me 1k for 1/3 of an acre around their house I would laugh. If they only wanted a metre strip for it I would laugh.

893bet wrote: »
    It’s the only field with frontage to the house though.......if someone came to me and offered me 1k for 1/3 of an acre around their house I would laugh. If they only wanted a metre strip for it I would laugh.

so what money would you want to get?

I wouldn't sell land that cheaply to someone just because they asked me for it. Not unless I had wanted to sell it anyway. Briars or no briars it's part of his farm and once it's gone it won't be gotten back

So what money to not make you laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

49801 wrote: »
    So what money to not make you laugh?

Definitely not for 2.5k. That likely wouldn't even be what he'd get for agricultural land if he actually wanted to sell. What good is 2.5k for anything?

What would you accept for the Council to take a strip off your front garden to widen the road/street? 60 cent per square metre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Maybe 1/4 acre would do. Offer 2k or 3k and pay all expenses. Better to bargain with solicitors - shop around when/if deal is agreed. My solr told me ( after the event) they had a minimum fee of €1,500. Bol**x to that. Solr does not have to be local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

About 6-8 years ago on a cottage acre near me a couple paid 50k to buy a 1/4 acre so they would get planning on part of it besides one of there parents.

Now it's a flaking site and house looks well. If I was in your situation and forget about the briars or site value. Allowing for his costs 15k minimum it could cost you 2-4 times that if you really wanted it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

plus the farmer would have to pay capital gains tax @ 33%. i reckon you'd have to offer 15-20k at a bare minimum to make him even consider it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hi folks,

Ray K

Keep spraying the briars with Grazon Pro, you'll eventually kill them back, it really tames them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

About 6-8 years ago on a cottage acre near me a couple paid 50k to buy a 1/4 acre so they would get planning on part of it besides one of there parents.

Now it's a flaking site and house looks well. If I was in your situation and forget about the briars or site value. Allowing for his costs 15k minimum it could cost you 2-4 times that if you really wanted it
    I was always under the impression the price is in line with what it would do to increase the value of the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭secman

Agri land could be 10 to 12k an acre but a site could cost you 40 to 50k for 1/2 an acre. Would've thought thst you checked out the prices for the area you are in so you could arrive ata reasonable proposal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

If you offer the guy 1-2 K you risk offending him. If you really want it, approach him and say you’d be interested in a small strip if he’d be willing to sell and if ye could agree a reasonable price. Let him suggest a price. You could offer a bit less and say you’ll cover all his solicitor fees engineer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭cjpm

And say that you’ll fence it. Your chances are better if the seller doesn’t have to put his hand in his own pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi folks,

Ray K

Yiur not going to get site land at agricultural land prices and offering him that will definitely test the friendship.

Look at local site prices and pitch your pricing in line with that.

Don’t open the conversation with saying it’s just a patch of briars either, he could well be very happy with his patch of biodiversity habitat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

cjpm wrote: »
    If you offer the guy 1-2 K you risk offending him. If you really want it, approach him and say you’d be interested in a small strip if he’d be willing to sell and if ye could agree a reasonable price. Let him suggest a price. You could offer a bit less and say you’ll cover all his solicitor fees engineer etc.

This would be the way to go, he might well take a couple of grand but if he thinks you're taking the piss he could add a 0 onto the end of what he'd take otherwise.

I always think it amazing the way some think that if agri value is 10 or 12k / acre that people assume a farmers should be willing to sell an acre or less at argi related value

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I always think it amazing the way some think that if agri value is 10 or 12k / acre that people assume a farmers should be willing to sell an acre or less at argi related value

The few acres I'm trying to buy at the moment are literally just bog, rock, and water. There's no method of interrogation that'd get me to say it to the current owners though.

Once transferred the land would form part of your site and would presumably increase the value of that, possibly by quite a bit.

I know it is essentially waste ground now and you want it for practical reasons, but I would be very wary of offering a low price for it.

Not sure how you would go about it.
    Approach them to see if they are interested.
    Get a valuation?
    Value as agricultural vs value added to your property and split the difference with you incurring all the fencing etc costs.

The briars won't be going away, they'll still be next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

secman wrote: »
    Agri land could be 10 to 12k an acre but a site could cost you 40 to 50k for 1/2 an acre. Would've thought thst you checked out the prices for the area you are in so you could arrive ata reasonable proposal ?

Marginal agricultural land is not €12k an acre. More like €3k. This land sounds a lot more marginal than prime.

It’s a case of supply and demand.

Supply is very low. There is only one possible seller of the piece of land. No other land will do.

Demand may be high or low. And it seems high. As there is only one possible buyer that can use the land and that possible buyer is interested.

I think it would need to be in the region if 10-12k minimum for the 1/3 of an acre to make it worth the hassle.

Marginal agricultural land is not €12k an acre. More like €3k. This land sounds a lot more marginal than prime.

It’s not been sold as “agricultural land”. Agri Price is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Grueller

2 neighbours here plastered the road with sites. I would love a buffer of good thick briars between me and some of the c***s that live in the houses now. The amount of sh1te and rubbish I pick up from my field behind the sites is phenomenal. For this reason, if you ever see me selling sites you know I am completely financially ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

If the op said rushes, it would suggest more marginal. But briars will only grow in dry enough ground...
    From the limited info we have, I wouldn't say its 3k ground

You will buy very little marginal land for sub 5k/ acre, Forrestry which admittedly is virtually closed at present puts a 4-5k base on most land.

Anyway agri value is immaterial when valuing small plots

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭monseiur

It seems that you don't need the land as such, it's the visual aspect that's bothering you.
    As your neighbour seems a reasonable lad why not approach him and offer to clear the adjoining land of all briars etc. drain and re-seed it and repair/replace fences etc. over say a two year period.
    Spray briars etc. with Grazon Pro or similar the first year and complete the job the second year, all in your spare time. €2,000.00 should go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I think you should talk to your neighbour about the fencing situation and see what happens. DO NOT OFFER TO BUY the land at the prices you seemed to be thinking.how much would ask for it if he offered to buy a 1,/3 of an acre of your place.grazon ninety is relatively cheap way out of this

Advertisement