Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper conversion VRT - minibus vs larger bus

Options
  • 10-05-2021 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

For those in the know - what's the story with having to pay VRT on a camper conversion
    I think the following is the case - just looking for confirmation

If it is a van converted to a campervan then VRT of 13.3% is due on the finished campervan based on what revenue decide the thing is worth

If it is a minibus of less or equal to 9 seats ( is 9 correct and does that include the driver??) converted to a camper then no extra VRT is due on the conversion because the original VRT on the minibus was greater than the 13.3% campervan vrt.

If it is a bus or 10 seats or greater that is converted to camper then 13.3% VRT is again due because the original bus VRT was only 200 euro?

Is this correct? It's the > 10 seat bus I am most unsure about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kickhams

As far as I know it has nothing to do with the number of seats. It is simply 13.3% of omv less any VRT already paid on the vehicle.
    Your SQI should be able to tell what VRT has been paid based on logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gn3dr wrote: »
    For those in the know - what's the story with having to pay VRT on a camper conversion
    I think the following is the case - just looking for confirmation

If it is a van converted to a campervan then VRT of 13.3% is due on the finished campervan based on what revenue decide the thing is worth

If it is a minibus of less or equal to 9 seats ( is 9 correct and does that include the driver??) converted to a camper then no extra VRT is due on the conversion because the original VRT on the minibus was greater than the 13.3% campervan vrt.

If it is a bus or 10 seats or greater that is converted to camper then 13.3% VRT is again due because the original bus VRT was only 200 euro?

Is this correct? It's the > 10 seat bus I am most unsure about

Correct.

Where it can get complicated is where a bus might have been registered as having 13 seats originally, then had some removed and reclassified as a 9 seater for example basically as a VRT dodge You could get caught there.
    You may get caught on an exempt vehicle too if VRT wasn’t actually paid.

It’s 10 seats including driver for the cheaper VRT day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Correct.

Where it can get complicated is where a bus might have been registered as having 13 seats originally, then had some removed and reclassified as a 9 seater for example basically as a VRT dodge You could get caught there.
    You may get caught on an exempt vehicle too if VRT wasn’t actually paid.

It’s 10 seats including driver for the cheaper VRT day 1.

Thanks folks

Advertisement