Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army of the Dead [Zack Snyder, Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oh that looks so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:eek: Oh my goodness!

Well.. that trailer is very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why would $$ be worth anything?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

silverharp wrote: »
    why would $$ be worth anything?

Impression I get in the trailer is that normal society is ticking away and zombies are cordoned off in vegas. Doesn't seem to tie in with the Dawn of the Dead remake where society had completely collapsed (I had thought this was set in the same universe).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah; if Las Vegas was cordoned off in time, while the rest of the US continued as "normal", then the cash left in the city would be there for the taking for anyone brave/stupid enough to enter the fallen city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ok thats believable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not sure about the sentient zombies that have developed some sort of culture angle, just makes it look like they are fighting orcs from lord of the rings in some parts of that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Beware the Snyder trailer!

(Looks great of course, but we don't always get what his trailers promise)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not always a huge fan when there's Zombie/Alien/Predator dogs or when Zombies gain intelligence but that still looks great!

Beware the Snyder trailer!

(Looks great of course, but we don't always get what his trailers promise)

eeeeeehhhhhh... I'd be more inclined to lump it into the Warner Brothers department. They've definitely got some epic trailer maker(s)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first 15 minutes were released; it's age blocked 'cos of the gore, but something like ytprivate.com should work if you don't feel like supplying a CC or your ID :D The tone is ... weird. It's kinda all over the place in those 15 minutes; some of it played straight, others really winking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

pixelburp wrote: »
    The first 15 minutes were released; it's age blocked 'cos of the gore, but something like ytprivate.com should work if you don't feel like supplying a CC or your ID :D The tone is ... weird. It's kinda all over the place in those 15 minutes; some of it played straight, others really winking.

something they released on purpose ?

Yes, the video itself is on Netflix's official channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews are pretty decent so far 74 percent on rotten tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,037 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I've put this on my watch list.
    Can I just say imo Dave Bautista has no business being as good as he is. He was just supposed to be head henchman or the boss before the final boss in Action flicks like Stone Cold or Triple H before him but I think he's great, even in the shlocky stuff he's usually the best part. Don't know why but I think he's neat. Only the Rock has done as well after transitioning from wrestling to acting with pants on. :pac:

Yes Batista doing well out of WWE, he is picking good roles which play to his strengths, his dead pan comedy style suits too

It must kill pretty boy Orton that Batista the big star of Evolution now in big movies :p:pac:

Well now I've got my hopes up that Snyder saw what Villeneuve did with Bautista in Bladerunner and might be running with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I liked it, although the camera work is a bit annoying/off-putting at times as it has this distorted/out of focus effect in some scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Salty Crew

Really good fun. Really enjoyed that.

Parts of the story reminded me a lot of Aliens. Also a nod to An American Werewolf in London near the beginning. At least that's what it reminded me of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Twas grand but nothing too special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just finished it, It was fun enough, I like the call backs to American Werewolf in London....and Aliens....and the Omega man. The action was solid and it had many original elements to keep it interesting, a few cliché things happen here and there which is very predictable but it does not take away from the fun.

• Advertisement

Me, right now, halfway through the film..
    This guy is such a prick! If he doesn't die..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Pretty enjoyable film.
    Plays to the usual zombie tropes but none the worse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I dunno, maybe I wasn't in the mood for mindless fun, but I just thought it was really, really bad.

Every single trope you associate with a film about a guy who recruits a ragtag group of heroes for one last mission/payday is present.

It's possibly the single most predictable film of all time :D

Finished! Solid Zombie Movie! Don't go in looking for anything too deep and just expect zombies and you'll be grand.
    Slydice wrote: »
    Me, right now, halfway through the film..
    This guy is such a prick! If he doesn't die..

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Surprised how positive a reaction this is getting and when people say it's fun.

I had very little fun with this overall. It fell between the cracks for me where it wasn't a good enough heist film to satisfy me or a good enough zombie film to satisfy me. Mostly for me it was just boring, it picks up a bit of speed in the last 40 minutes or so but still wasn't all that impressive or interesting.

Agree what was said elsewhere about the cinematography, the out of focus gave it all a weird artificial look that was very unappealing. Say what you want about Snyder but he's usually a decent visual filmmaker and considering this is the first film he's been cinematographer for this is pretty shoddy, expected more.

To me this just felt like Zombie Rogue One but with no way of shoehorning in fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It was alright, expected more but fell a bit flat

Bit like Dawn of the Dead which opened great then just became a bit dull

Needed more human on zombie action and Bautista does nothing for me as an actor, quite the opposite
    And how can he survive so long after being bitten and everyone else turns almost immediately - big plot hole along with many others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Not great, zombie tiger for zombie tiger sake.

And according to Twitter, I wasn't the only one to think I had the first dead pixels on my screen.

It was one of the cameras used. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Awful tripe imo, bad script, bad everything.

Maybe it's just not my type of movie but I found for e.g. Zombieland and even its sequel which is "sort" of done in the same vein a thousand times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched it last night and tbh on whole enjoyed it. I certainly didn't feel the runtime which was good. If you want a brain dead predictable zombie action film it delivers.

I agree that at times the camera work was flakey with a JJ Abrams attempt at out of focus just not working.Maybe because I'm aware that Tig Notaro was added in digitally later that her character did seem isolated or separate from everyone else.
    Now what's the sequel going to be called? Fiesta of the Dead or Mariachi of the dead maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It threatened to become pedestrian but it got dark fairly quick. The futility of what they're doing is quite an interesting take.

For the 3 leaders of the band in particular I never really felt convinced that it was about the money, but a need to self destruct together.

It's deeper than what lies on the surface I think.

Advertisement