Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's Good In The Supermarkets? (Excluding Aldi & Lidl)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The signature taste one should be good. Tesco Finest Lasagne is delicious too, but it is very rich and filling.
    So I would rate:
    Supervalu
    Cully and Scully
    Tesco Finest

M&S Best Ever Lasagne lives up to its name - but since Brexit came in, their shelves have been full of gaps so not sure how easy it is to get now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sporina wrote: »
    oh whats that like? my OH loves chilli relish - the jalapeno one doesn't hit the spot..

A bit too sweet for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The M&S dark chocolate single origin 100g bar range is superb and great value for single origin chocolate.

The 78% and 85% are really good in particular and the 100% is a great price for a 100%

The Tesco High Fibre bran cereal is excellent - less sugar and cheaper than all bran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

front_en.14.400.jpg

Really nice Cornetto-type chocolate ice creams: M&S Chocolate Honeycomb Ice Cream Cones

I'll soon need rehab to come off them. Problem is...since Brexit they're hard to come by.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    front_en.14.400.jpg

Really nice Cornetto-type chocolate ice creams: M&S Chocolate Honeycomb Ice Cream Cones

I'll soon need rehab to come off them. Problem is...since Brexit they're hard to come by.

Had them a while back. Lovely.

Stopped going to my local M&S a couple of months ago because it had become such a soul-destroying experience. Loads of gaps on the shelves, really short dates on lots of stuff, still no jasmine rice for the Taste of Thailand range...Brexit has done serious damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭sporina

The Tesco High Fibre bran cereal is excellent - less sugar and cheaper than all bran.

we love the Tesco Sugar free Museli.. much nicer than Alpen - has lots of nuts in it and soo much cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Cream crackers - Tesco own brand are my firm favourites - huge pack for 39c, they're well cooked, crispy and tasty (I have been surprised by how many are bland and soft).

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cream crackers - Tesco own brand are my firm favourites - huge pack for 39c, they're well cooked, crispy and tasty (I have been surprised by how many are bland and soft).

I am a Tesco girl but their Rick Tea bickies are v v poor.. centra/supervalu all the way for RT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Had them a while back. Lovely.

Stopped going to my local M&S a couple of months ago because it had become such a soul-destroying experience. Loads of gaps on the shelves, really short dates on lots of stuff, still no jasmine rice for the Taste of Thailand range...Brexit has done serious damage.

same as!! until the past week or so where the taste of Thailand stuff is finally back. I picked up a few 'fragrant wok beef noddle's', their sooo nice but as usual with M&S expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I've fallen in love with the tesco snacker crackers, kinda like ritz crackers but cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭con747

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I've fallen in love with the tesco snacker crackers, kinda like ritz crackers but cheaper.

If it's the Tesco cheese thins you mean they are very nice, I eat them with pâté and cheese and it's hard to stop eating them!
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265201247

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

con747 wrote: »
    If it's the Tesco cheese thins you mean they are very nice, I eat them with pâté and cheese and it's hard to stop eating them!
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265201247

Well, those too! Makes a wonderful lunch.

The smoked/cooked chicken from Fire Pit in Tesco is really good.

€3.50 for two solid, marinated, pre-cooked chicken breasts. Has a dense texture. Ready to eat.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The smoked/cooked chicken from Fire Pit in Tesco is really good.

€3.50 for two solid, marinated, pre-cooked chicken breasts. Has a dense texture. Ready to eat.

thanks - good to know.. I like to have something handy like that in the fridge for when I am time poor

sporina wrote: »
    thanks - good to know.. I like to have something handy like that in the fridge for when I am time poor

Yes, exactly. Instant protein.

And these are better than the packaged chicken slices available that I think are poor quality and full of salt.

They can be found in the cold meats section, not in the fresh meat section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭notAMember

We are heat fiends here, tried Tesco fiery beetroot, they are really tasty!

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=297888940

The Tesco Own brand Organic oats are back in stock - 750g for 79 cent. Really lovely and chunky

The new Tesco finest ciabatta crumbed cooked sliced ham is really nice, and they have a maple one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

The new tesco Ben and Jerry type ice creams are lovely. Particularly the Waffle Cone Crunch one which I highly recommend.

The Tesco Own brand Organic oats are back in stock - 750g for 79 cent. Really lovely and chunky

The new Tesco finest ciabatta crumbed cooked sliced ham is really nice, and they have a maple one too.

yeah... OH loveees em - really missed them when they wer out of stock - hope they are still in supply in Winter (muesli these days)

Jacob's Salted Caramel Biscuit Bars... god they are divine.. in Tesco €2 atm.. god I wish I hadn't discovered them - so naughty but soo nice

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The sweet potato crackers from M&S are very good (not the the beetroot crackers though, they're very bland).

• Advertisement

Still making up my mind of the Iberico Pork free range fillet medallions in Dunnes - they are very nice, and definitely a stronger flavour than normal pork medallions but at €7 for 200g, a considered purchase. Pack is a bit small for 2 imo also - 250g/2 would be better, as 3 small thin medallions is a bit slim looking for a main.

I like the Tesco Finest peppermint tea, in the pyramid bags.

woo hooo.... own brand Toasted Sliced Almonds are available again in Tesco.. delighted.. had really missed them.. (i love 'em on anything Asian related).. there was a sabbatical of about 9 mths there.. dunno.. must ask a manager next time I see one (if I think of it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Dunnes Stores do really nice sausage rolls, you pick them up in the freezer and they taste great out of the Air Fryer - 10 for €2. (image keeps uploading sideways)

wow - so few posting on this thread now..

anyway..

Kikkoman soy sauce.. wow.. not tried it till now.. will never use cheaper brands every again - its divine.. hmm hmm hmm

Supervalu signature tastes now have an Irish Hampshire Pork Tomahawk Bacon chop - really good!

Loving Milka Noisette Chocolate these days - €1 for 100g in Tesco for the last while... got a stash of em.. its delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco wine gums are way, way better than Maynard's and really cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

These are really nice yogurts from Dunnes

And bought this today too - haven’t had it before but it sounds lush

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’d say they’re made by Killowen Farm? Supervalu sell the Killowen ones and they’re fab. The lemon curd is an unusual flavour which gives it away (and it’s savage!).

you’re probably right actually and I did get killowen farm before when they were on offer and they were delicious!

Those Simply Better yogurts are lovely (aside from the 0% fat one). Lemon curd one is great - there's also a strawberry in that range. Also recommend their blackcurrant and triple berry ones.

A not so good in the yogurt options is the 0% fat greek yogurt in the blue and white tub - it's very grainy and not creamy at all imo.

I generally avoid low fat, diet or 0% fat products. I'd rather go without than compromise. If someone in the house buys them by mistake, I'll try them if there's nothing else but never willingly purchase them myself.

Their full fat greek is brilliant - like Newbridge said, I don't buy low fat because the taste is not nice at all. I used to buy Fage full fat but since Dunnes started doing their own brand, I've been buying that. Fage was so expensive and the same amount in the dunnes brand is only 1.69

Coverature Cappucino Cake - Tesco.. delicious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Tesco Quadruple Strength Squash is better than any name brand - bursting with flavor

Dunnes Simply Better soups are lovely - got the Tomato, Bean and Pancetta one and had it today for lunch - delicious and very filling. They are still 2e too -price hasn’t gone up…yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭shanmo

Tesco stone ground wheaten loaf is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is a non recommendation.

Tesco have Irish lamb shoulder carvery joints at the moment. Reasonably cheap and reduced with clubcard.

What I didn't notice was that it has a mint and citrus stuffing. To be fair, it says it on the label but I didn't notice and it didn't look stuffed.

I went out for a while when it was cooking. Came home and got a really strange smell that I couldn't recognise. I wondered was one of the shallots I had roasting with it was off. A strange kind of sour smell.

It was only when I took it out of the oven I noticed the stuffing. It ruined the whole meal. This dried mint flavour had permeated all the meat and strongly flavoured the gravy. It was awful. Only picked at the meat. Thankfully, the cats will eat the bits without stuffing. I realised that the smell was exactly like commercial mint sauce, which I've always hated.

I know mint is a traditional accompaniment to lamb - but not stuffed inside it!

In fairness to Tesco, I emailed them and they sent me back to the shop for a full refund.

If you think that a mint and citrus stuffed lamb shoulder sounds nice, trust me, it isn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Expanding my experience of SV ready meals.. Hooked on the Mac and Cheese... Just basic but excellent. I have a chicken with stuffing lined up for Sunday dinner

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-ready-meals-for-1-supervalu-chicken-stuffing-dinner-500-g-/p-1531104002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This thread! makes me yearn for a day out! Wonderful!

Dunnes do a fabulous range of whole nut resealable pouches - the almonds covered in dessicated coconut and roasted nut mix are excellent - no sugar or oils - just the nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Can't remember if I posted about this, but my partner has picked up the oven cook at home Jambons from Super Valu. I've never been one for jambons but these are actually really nice. Probably all the salt, but still. I don't know the price, but they're very tasty.

• Advertisement

Really like the sicín sasta free range chicken fillets (can et them in SV and tesco) - very tasty and not much sinue or fat left on them to trim. 9 euro for 500g

SV bakery do a lovely white soda bread/farl in a half size - approx 1.40 I think.

Dunnes Stores Simply Better Soy sauce with Ginger.. its yum - but the packaging is v v annoying - glass bottle - no lip.. so its practically impossible to pour without a major drip.. grr.. and I see they have soooo many products in the same glass bottle.. I guess it would be too €€ to change to a better format.. annoying though ...

anyone else find this?

^^ @sporina Dunnes have been really upping their game recently, haven't they! I must try that soy and ginger sauce, sounds lovely. Have you tried their roasted garlic aioli (€4 I think)? I haven't yet.

I like to keep some bottles for future use. The Kikkoman soy sauce bottle looks lovely. And I use the olive oil bottle from the Olive Stall (English Market Cork) for storing lentils.

well that sauce is great - packaging - not so.. but yes, good thinking - I could decant the DS product into an empty Kikkoman bottle.. it pours really great.. no not tried the garlic aioli - must suss it out

The Kikkoman bottle is well designed too; you can hold a finger on one of the holes to block the flow, and lift it to allow the sauce to pour. Clever!

• Advertisement
Advertisement