Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mares tail

Options
  • 28-06-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

I have about an acre in a narrow strip that runs alongside a river.
    This year it has become infested with mares tail.I have a couple of horses that I would have out on it now but I have kept them of it because of it,i understand from reading up on it that it is bad for them if it was baled but that it is ok fresh but am not taking a chance on it.

Its supposed to be practically immune from weedkiller because of its waxy coat(supposed to be bruised before spraying) so I'm looking for opinions or cheap options on what to do about it bearing in mind I don't have tractors or stuff like that to tackle it with myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

It's a scourge of a thing. On an acre you probably need to roll it to bruise it and then spray. Expect to do it a few times over a number of years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Include liquid urea with the herbicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Using Gallup here every couple of weeks in a small area getting good kill don't want it spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

tipptom wrote: »
    I have about an acre in a narrow strip that runs alongside a river.
    This year it has become infested with mares tail.I have a couple of horses that I would have out on it now but I have kept them of it because of it,i understand from reading up on it that it is bad for them if it was baled but that it is ok fresh but am not taking a chance on it.

Its supposed to be practically immune from weedkiller because of its waxy coat(supposed to be bruised before spraying) so I'm looking for opinions or cheap options on what to do about it bearing in mind I don't have tractors or stuff like that to tackle it with myself.

We had this with a house we inherited and tried everything. There is only one weedkiller that will take care of this weed. It's called Kurtail. You can buy in on ebay.co.uk. Its not the cheapest but it does definately work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 williemakeit

Mortone kills mares tail.

Mortone kills mares tail.

I tried all the usual ones. Never tried Mortone but will keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Thanks for all the replys,the Kurtail don't deliver to Ireland but will have a look for it here,does it need to be bruised before spraying.
    Will have a look at the Mortone,like the idea that it kills rushes as well,do they need bruising beforehand.
    Would strimming the top of them count as bruising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Thanks for all the replys,the Kurtail don't deliver to Ireland but will have a look for it here,does it need to be bruised before spraying.
    Will have a look at the Mortone,like the idea that it kills rushes as well,do they need bruising beforehand.

Wasn't messing re liquid urea. Liquid urea + strong sun will penetrate waxy layer.

sheebadog wrote: »
    Wasn't messing re liquid urea. Liquid urea + strong sun will penetrate waxy layer.
    I thought urea was something to do with fertilizer,what sort of price does it come in at and how much would I need for an acre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check the active ingredient in Kurtail, its glufosinate ammonium, and Basfa sell Basta which also contians glufosinate ammonium so Basta might be an alternative?

my3cents wrote: »
    Check the active ingredient in Kurtail, its glufosinate ammonium, and Basfa sell Basta which also contians glufosinate ammonium so Basta might be an alternative?
    So who sells this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

2fourD kills mares tail

[/B] So who sells this in Ireland?

Wish I could remember :o The reason I knew the active ingredient is because I picked up a bottle and read the label but can't remember where. Then it didn't help that I said it was a Basfa product when in fact its a Bayer product, its on the Bayer website for Ireland so is available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Recently had to spray a patch with mares tails also so I made a mix of 2,4,D and a glyphosphate herbicide and all dead within two weeks! Also put in some washing up liquid in the mix for adhesion to the plants.

BrenCooney wrote: »
    Recently had to spray a patch with mares tails also so I made a mix of 2,4,D and a glyphosphate herbicide and all dead within two weeks! Also put in some washing up liquid in the mix for adhesion to the plants.

Whats 24d and what herbicide did you use,is it expensive for the area I may have to do?

I have a half bottle of Kurtail left over. I can also get you a full bottle as I have someone comes from Uk by ferry every week if you want a bottle. This is the only weedkiller that worked for me. pm me if I can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

BrenCooney wrote: »
    Also put in some washing up liquid in the mix for adhesion to the plants.

Have been looking for an idea like this and was going to try sunflower oil. What was the ratio of washing up liquid to weedkiller to water please?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

2,4,d is the short name for 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic. It's a broadleaf herbicide found in lawn weed killer. I used a 25 litre knapsac sprayer and used about 100 mls of an ordinary kitchen washing up liquid as a wetting agent. It gets the herbicides on the plants, keeps it there and through the waxy coating.

I've had what looks like a total kill on mares tail more times than I can remember only to have it come back again the following month or year.

I was using up some old SBK brushwood killer and gave a clump of mares tail a good dose in passing and it went over and now 4 weeks later is completely gone but I really doubt I've killed it. I've battled with it on different sites for 30 years and never completely won the battle.

• Advertisement

I've had what looks like a total kill on mares tail more times than I can remember only to have it come back again the following month or year.

I was using up some old SBK brushwood killer and gave a clump of mares tail a good dose in passing and it went over and now 4 weeks later is completely gone but I really doubt I've killed it. I've battled with it on different sites for 30 years and never completely won the battle.
    Your not filling me with a great deal of confidence here lol.

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    I have a half bottle of Kurtail left over. I can also get you a full bottle as I have someone comes from Uk by ferry every week if you want a bottle. This is the only weedkiller that worked for me. pm me if I can help.
    Thanks for the offer Jimfo,am mulling over what to do,a lot of the guys seem to have cures for killing it but I am looking to something that may keep it away if that's possible(probably not),does the Kurtail offer anything about the afterwards.
    They say that this weed goes back to the dinosaurs,its like some bad b-movie where it reappears when you think you have killed it.

Your not filling me with a great deal of confidence here lol.

I've never tried kurtail so perhaps there is hope.

The weed has been around since before the dinosaurs so it has a proven track record for survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ger Byrne 1

what does it look like

Thanks for the offer Jimfo,am mulling over what to do,a lot of the guys seem to have cures for killing it but I am looking to something that may keep it away if that's possible(probably not),does the Kurtail offer anything about the afterwards.
    They say that this weed goes back to the dinosaurs,its like some bad b-movie where it reappears when you think you have killed it.

If you have the patience and are spraying in a grass then a dose of any of the selective weed killers will give you some control without making the site look a brown mess. 2,4D on its own is perhaps the weakest (but cheapest) of the selective weedkillers that will have some affect on it and the more expensive mixes of a selection of selective weedkillers will be a little more effective.

If you are spraying near water then please read the label carefully on anything you use, gyphosate based weedkillers like Roundup are OK near water but will kill everything, don't know if kurtail is OK or not near water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

what does it look like

very like a horse tail, can't mistake it
    horsetail.jpg

We had this with a house we inherited and tried everything. There is only one weedkiller that will take care of this weed. It's called Kurtail. You can buy in on ebay.co.uk. Its not the cheapest but it does definately work.

Unhappy to report that this dreaded thing is back again. Kurtail killed it last year but despite spraying the area again this year it has sadly returned. Hope I did not lead anyone wrong.

Unhappy to report that this dreaded thing is back again. Kurtail killed it last year but despite spraying the area again this year it has sadly returned. Hope I did not lead anyone wrong.

In the UK on a sandy soil I've dug down 6ft and still found roots. If you kill it down say 2 foot it might be 2 years before it comes back up again but it normally does.

On non crop areas I had some success with Casoron G but thats no longer available and no good on a river bank.

If Kurtail knocks it back for a full year then that still sounds good to me. Roundup only gives a couple of months control so you'd have to spray 3 or more times a year with it.

• Advertisement

In the UK on a sandy soil I've dug down 6ft and still found roots. If you kill it down say 2 foot it might be 2 years before it comes back up again but it normally does.

On non crop areas I had some success with Casoron G but thats no longer available and no good on a river bank.

If Kurtail knocks it back for a full year then that still sounds good to me. Roundup only gives a couple of months control so you'd have to spray 3 or more times a year with it.

It disappeared for a full year but back again. I am going to spray it again and will report back. Thanks

Advertisement