Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ultra HD - is it worth it?

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I've just bought a 75" Samsung television and I have Sky with all HD channels.

Is it worth upgrading from HD to Ultra HD espeically for soccer matches?

Thanks - OCD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Hi,

I've just bought a 75" Samsung television and I have Sky with all HD channels.

Is it worth upgrading from HD to Ultra HD especially for soccer matches?

Thanks - OCD

My advice is to keep your money in your pocket. A buy good 4K Blu-Ray player and buy some movies. An off one payment all around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I can’t speak for a TV that big - and certainly I understand the difference may be more noticeable on bigger TVs. Mine is significantly smaller and I don’t notice a huge difference between HD and UHD - certainly not akin to the SD-HD difference.

Another issue is that there’s not a huge amount of UHD content - Premier League football, some movies and shows and some nature documentaries. There’s no full time UHD channel. Where UHD format is available on a Sky-owned channel you are promoted to press select or red button.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you search on youtube for football in 4k you will find some clips you could watch on your TV to give you an idea of what it will look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

My guess is its more overpriced hype from Sky to extract more money from an already, highly expensive subscription service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I think it's worth it but I am a quality snob.

Love F1 in UHD. Soon with HDR. You also get Netflix & Prime in UHD/HDR so it's not just the sports that you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

@afat.....

For my interest can you say screen size of tv, is it OLED and how far away do you sit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OConnorDavid

swoofer wrote: »
    For my interest can you say screen size of tv, is it OLED and how far away do you sit?

It's 75" Samsung QE75Q90T, QLED and we sit 3.75m away from the TV. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A lot of money, I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Don't waste your money, sky have already downgraded their sd package to force people to upgrade to HD, imo this company just want to rip you off, I don't imagine, and I hope, that they don't exist in a few years time.

swoofer wrote: »
    @afat.....

It's a 55 inch LG, It's not an OLED but is HDR.

About 3m Id say.

A lot of live sport is 1080p btw (In car cameras in F1 are only 720p) but the great thing is they use loads more bandwidth.

SD is 1.5Mbps
    HD is 8Mbps
    UHD is 25 to 35Mbps

That's where you get the extra detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I used to watch the F1 in 4K on German Tv and TBH it was hard to see any significant difference between that and a good HD channel on a 55" set. You start to wonder how much is placebo effect. Maybe I need specsavers or maybe there just isn't that great a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you want to see some FTA TV in 4K; you can see some channels in UHD on German Satellite if you're interested just to get an idea of how it looks on your TV. Either that or get a 4K UHD Blu-ray player with some UHD Blu-rays as another good idea if you're into movies as well as live sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭mossie

I don't really notice a massive difference unless I'm sitting very close to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had 4k with sky q for years. Eventually got rid of sky altogether. I have Disney plus, Netflix, Prime Video and sometimes Apple TV & all have 4k and HDR. HDR is more noticeable than 4k unless you are sitting up close to the screen.
    I also have HBOMAX, Showtime. Sometimes I have NowTV. The beauty of streaming channels is you can chop & change every month or so. All of my subscriptions are roughly half what I was paying Sky per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

If you want to see some FTA TV in 4K; you can see some channels in UHD on German Satellite if you're interested just to get an idea of how it looks on your TV. Either that or get a 4K UHD Blu-ray player with some UHD Blu-rays as another good idea if you're into movies as well as live sport.

There are a few demo channels on Astra 28.2 as well i.e. Freesat UHD, Astra UHD Demo and SES UHD Demo. They all seem to show a lot of the same content on a loop. No HDR which as others have pointed out is more noticeable, streaming services are way ahead on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dam099 wrote: »
    There are a few demo channels on Astra 28.2 as well i.e. Freesat UHD, Astra UHD Demo and SES UHD Demo. They all seem to show a lot of the same content on a loop. No HDR which as others have pointed out is more noticeable, streaming services are way ahead on that front.

Can you provide details of that Freesat UHD channel? ...... I have never seen it listed.
    Thanks.

Can you provide details of that Freesat UHD channel? ...... I have never seen it listed.
    Thanks.

Only 2 FTA I know on 28E are on :-

12441V 29500 8/9 QPSK DVB-S2

Same here ....... Astra & SES demos, but thought I might have missed one. ;)

Its on that same frequency and was simulcasting either the Astra or SES one when I checked.

I have selected Freesat and Sky ROI in ABM settings so maybe its some form of virtual copy or such?

dam099 wrote: »
    Its on that same frequency and was simulcasting either the Astra or SES one when I checked.

I have selected Freesat and Sky ROI in ABM settings so maybe its some form of virtual copy or such?

There are six channels on that frequency ......
    2 SES
    4 Astra

Nothing else I can see there.

• Advertisement

There are six channels on that frequency ......
    2 SES
    4 Astra

Nothing else I can see there.

Funnily enough when I view services I only see 3 (1 SES/2 Astra) but Freesat UHD is in the channel lists created by ABM (and my favourites bouquet).

From some googling it seems like its a hidden channel on some Freesat devices that is just renaming the Astra one. On my LG TV (set to UK Freesat mode) it doesn't appear in the EPG but if you manually type channel 998 it goes to it.

Can only assume ABM is creating the entry for it somehow.

This is what KoS shows for that TP. One seems to be a placeholder, possibly for freesat info

OSI wrote: »
    Sky Broadcast is only 1080i I thought?

F1 is UHD, So is a lot of football. Some other sports are UHD too.

Eurosport does the French open in UHD. Basically, if you have a UHD package and something is in UHD they don't set up a new channel just a banner comes up saying available in UHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

afatbollix wrote:
    Eurosport does the French open in UHD. Basically, if you have a UHD package and something is in UHD they don't set up a new channel just a banner comes up saying available in UHD.

I think OSI had meant that sky still don't broadcast in full HD. They still use 1080i rather than 1080p (full HD)

Advertisement