Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf price chitchat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 4ever

Ya all on 2nd move so bought in and now looking to move on again. The state of them was awful to see.
    Suppose we never know what's going on behind somebody elses gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Calf prices well back today in Listowel .The hereford are taking a bit of hammering especially the heifers ,Nice reared whitehead heifers 8/10 weeks old easy bought for E240 ,the aa doing a small bit better .What cost would the milk be to bring them to this stage at 35cent/litre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

cute geoge wrote: »
    Calf prices well back today in Listowel .The hereford are taking a bit of hammering especially the heifers ,Nice reared whitehead heifers 8/10 weeks old easy bought for E240 ,the aa doing a small bit better .What cost would the milk be to bring them to this stage at 35cent/litre

160 euro, prob a but with it on milk alone, meal straw etc extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Plenty of rain coming but soft enough temperature-wise I think.

Haven't gotten calves out yet but it's time now, would it be madness to let them out in rain? Bringing them back in at night would be no major hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

trg wrote: »

Haven't gotten calves out yet but it's time now, would it be madness to let them out in rain? Bringing them back in at night would be no major hassle

Growth still very poor. Because ground temperature is still below 12C and daytime temp are low as well I cannot see any great burst of growth in next 5-7days

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Growth still very poor. Because ground temperature is still below 12C and daytime temp are low as well I cannot see any great burst of growth in next 5-7days

We'd be ok for grass really, calves wouldn't be too hard on it starting off either.

Tis more from a calf health point of view I'm asking for opinion really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We'd be ok for grass really, calves wouldn't be too hard on it starting off either.

Eldest group of 10 out here full-time since yesterday. They’re ranging from 9-13 weeks and just weaned off milk. They have some shelter under trees outside and I ain’t bringing them back in. They were in by night for the last 2 weeks. We’re in the south-east here so hoping the rain won’t be too bad

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

You'll have no trouble. Let them off and keep an eye on them. My calves are let out around the yard as soon as they come from the mart - with access to a few old houses. And to grass 1/2 weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭148multi

4ever wrote: »
    Some awful scenes in a Munster mart in recent days. Don't want to mention the mart but they should have turned them away. Unbelievably poor Fr and Jex calves up on 3 months old went through the ring. 2 of them couldn't stand. Heard later that two died before they got to the ring. About 24 in total. If the wrong people saw this it would create a very bad vibe.

What county was the seller from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

4ever wrote: »
    Some awful scenes in a Munster mart in recent days. Don't want to mention the mart but they should have turned them away. Unbelievably poor Fr and Jex calves up on 3 months old went through the ring. 2 of them couldn't stand. Heard later that two died before they got to the ring. About 24 in total. If the wrong people saw this it would create a very bad vibe.

If the wrong people saw it?

That should called out by everyone, we all have responsibility to our animals to make sure they are treated right.

IF they were that bad, department should be called and he or she should be reported ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

HillFarmer wrote: »

That should called out by everyone, we all have responsibility to our animals to make sure they are treated right.

IF they were that bad, department should be called and he or she should be reported ASAP

They wont though ,mart manager has alot to answer for too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

Have to agree with this. The responsibility lies with all farmers as a whole.

But at the same time I’m sure we all know of someone in the neighbourhood like this but I doubt many have ever reported it. There’s at least 1 in this area and I know I’ve never reported him. Probably I, and all other farmers in the area, should be reporting him but it’s not something we do.

I’d say you should be on to let them out, it’s surprising how hardy the are once they get used to it after a day or two.

One thing I do when letting them out first, which probably goes against all the expert advice but I find works for me, I’d always let them onto a bit of stronger stemmy grass for the first week or so. I think it gives them a chance to get used to a grass diet without having lush green grass being blown back out through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Both the seller and the mart should be called out on this type of issue.
    Irish farmers need to be held 100 per cent accountable on the issue of animal welfare . Yet another letter today in the Times calling for a ban on live animal exports.
    How would calves that were bought in be let go to that ? Why buy them in the first place ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Re the calf story unless its a different calf story .the lad who bought the calf forgot it. The lads working in the mart were fooling around for the week with it. The following week the local dept man went ballistic when he saw the calf. Yer man who bought the calf was from a different counry.

Now what business had yer man buying the calf, why could the mart not make a better effort to feed him or find another home,its not as if he was the only calf they were stuck with that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Re the calf story unless its a different calf story .the lad who bought the calf forgot it. The lads working in the mart were fooling around for the week with it. The following week the local dept man went ballistic when he saw the calf. Yer man who bought the calf was from a different counry.

Now what business had yer man buying the calf, why could the mart not make a better effort to feed him or find another home,its not as if he was the only calf they were stuck with that day.

Really?
    If it was bought on-line, it's not like the mart didn't know who the buyer was.
    He/she would have had to register to bid, and they would have the herd number, name, address, mobile, email, everything needed to contact them.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Really?
    If it was bought on-line, it's not like the mart didn't know who the buyer was.
    He/she would have had to register to bid, and they would have the herd number, name, address, mobile, email, everything needed to contact them.

There seems to be parts missing to the story. It just makes f all sense. If that particular depth vet went mad it must have been bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Surely no one working in the mart goes home and leaves an animal in the mart without knowing there's someone coming to collect it. Bad enough for it to be left a day bit a week is crazy

whelan2 wrote: »
    Surely no one working in the mart goes home and leaves an animal in the mart without knowing there's someone coming to collect it. Bad enough for it to be left a day bit a week is crazy

Not good enough at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭straight

Some fair numb skulls working in marts to be fair.

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »

Ah Jesus, what about poor old Albert :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

But to be left for a week to starve is beyond stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

But to be left for a week to starve is beyond stupid

Should get jail for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I would be for suspending the mart license for a month it's the only way it'll put fear into other marts it's just not good enough for our industry

Ah Jesus, what about poor old Albert :):)

I'm sure he could confirm. Bet he could tell a tale or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It has happened me at least 3 times in the last few years when at the local mart the manager has asked me would I take a calf that was left behind by someone. It would normally be the evening of the sale or before 9 the next morning. In fairness to the yard manager in the local mart he would be very on the ball. The first one of the calves was a lmx heifer for €70, I now have 6 cows in the herd from her breeding.

You would think that but it’s a regular occurrence in the mart across from here. The worst was cattle still there on a Thursday after a Monday sale. That was an exception but it’s not uncommon for cattle to be collected on a Wednesday morning after the Monday sale. That happens once or twice a month.

I wrote about it here a few weeks back and it took a few phone calls to the manager on the Tuesday to get the cattle out of there before Wednesday. They would have water but no food.

DBK1 wrote: »
    You would think that but it’s a regular occurrence in the mart across from here. The worst was cattle still there on a Thursday after a Monday sale. That was an exception but it’s not uncommon for cattle to be collected on a Wednesday morning after the Monday sale. That happens once or twice a month.

I wrote about it here a few weeks back and it took a few phone calls to the manager on the Tuesday to get the cattle out of there before Wednesday. They would have water but no food.

Why would they do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’d say you should be on to let them out, it’s surprising how hardy the are once they get used to it after a day or two.

One thing I do when letting them out first, which probably goes against all the expert advice but I find works for me, I’d always let them onto a bit of stronger stemmy grass for the first week or so. I think it gives them a chance to get used to a grass diet without having lush green grass being blown back out through them.
    You're spot on about the "strong" grass, the trick's not to make them eat it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭green daries

You're spot on about the "strong" grass, the trick's not to make them eat it down.

Ya its by far the best for calves starting out once there moved on quickly enough

• Advertisement

Ya its by far the best for calves starting out once there moved on quickly enough

Vet told me here a few years back that old pasture was best for young calves. Reseeded grass would be “too powerful” for them

Anyone buying calf nuts in bulk at the moment?

I checked an 18% nut with two different sellers today. One was €365 (collected from their yard in my own bin) and the other was €385 (delivered to my yard in small bags). The ingredients are approx the same in both with the €385 being slightly better. I'm in the south-east of the country.

Are they roughly the ball-park figures others are being quoted too?

Anyone buying calf nuts in bulk at the moment?

I checked an 18% nut with two different sellers today. One was €365 (collected from their yard in my own bin) and the other was €385 (delivered to my yard in small bags). The ingredients are approx the same in both with the €385 being slightly better. I'm in the south-east of the country.

Are they roughly the ball-park figures others are being quoted too?

At that price I would not be feeding nuts to calves. If you have grass I would alot them blocks of grass to graze in 2-3 days. If I had to supplement I would feed a standard beef but 14%P.. as long as calves are 12*14 weeks they would be ok.

Slava Ukrainii

Why not let them eat it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

At that price I would not be feeding nuts to calves. If you have grass I would alot them blocks of grass to graze in 2-3 days. If I had to supplement I would feed a standard beef but 14%P.. as long as calves are 12*14 weeks they would be ok.

Local branch of my co-op is 10 euros for a 25kg bag of 16% calf nuts. That's 400 a ton. 15 of them get a bag a day.

Thanks for that. I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks that price is very high.

I think I’ll keep them on 1kg of the 18% nut until they’re all 14 weeks and then cut back to 0.5kg.

I cut nuts out completely for around 6 weeks last year and the youngest ones didn’t really thrive as well as the older ones. I only noticed when I weighed them, and the damage was done.

lab man wrote: »

It will effect thrive and there growth will be stop start. Get other cattle to eat it down or ideally top it. Even adult cattle are slow to eat down strong grass to the butt. I have noticed that if you too this the cattle will clean out a paddock or field in 24 hours that would take 3 days to graze down otherwise.

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for that. I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks that price is very high.

I think I’ll keep them on 1kg of the 18% nut until they’re all 14 weeks and then cut back to 0.5kg.

I cut nuts out completely for around 6 weeks last year and the youngest ones didn’t really thrive as well as the older ones. I only noticed when I weighed them, and the damage was done.

The stronger animal whether a calf or bullock will goobbe more nuts than the weaker one. You should nearly be separating them as they hit 14-16 weeks and feed the lighter and younger calf for another 3-4 weeks

I see a lads that I pass who has calves in a narrow field earlier in the year when he was bringing them in every night he had the younger calves ahead of the older calves and a second fence ahead of them

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Young prematurely (compared to sucklers) weaned calves' rumens are still developing so they need the pick of the forage (incl. adequate fibre) to get adequate nutrition at a time when theure growing rapidly. They won't thrive if being forced to graze hard. Move them on, let older stock graze down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Calves up to 5 to 6 months need suitable fibre to develop rumen function.

We began giving access to straw at this stage a few years ago and it has almost completely eliminated sss.

Also important to feed a nut or ration with suitable levels vit b1 to prevent ccn.

Why would they do that
    It's generally the bigger factory or feedlot buyers that do this. They buy all they can, the lorry then comes and doesn't have room for them all so leaves some behind. They are left there then until there is a lorry with space passing by.

Just leave them on it for a few days to get them used to eating grass without having fresh leafy grass running out through them. Once they get used to the grass then you can let them onto the fresher stuff. You're basically weaning them onto the grass. They won't thrive on the stemmy grass so making them eat it down will stunt their growth. It's just to get them used to it.

Calves a good trade all day yesterday in bandon. Any fr sort of yoke that ticks all the boxes for shipping 120 or 130.
    A neighbour sold fr heifers calves 4 weeks old without a dicky bird of paper following them 345.

4 week old aa 180ish.
    Odd bunch of Jan fr calves 240.

Calves a good trade all day yesterday in bandon. Any fr sort of yoke that ticks all the boxes for shipping 120 or 130.
    A neighbour sold fr heifers calves 4 weeks old without a dicky bird of paper following them 345.

4 week old aa 180ish.
    Odd bunch of Jan fr calves 240.

What changed since the last few years when they could barely give 20 euro?

• Advertisement

What changed since the last few years when they could barely give 20 euro?

Supply and demand

Supply and demand

Ya, so what increased the demand was my question like. Maybe people realised calves are the cheapest way into stock after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ya, so what increased the demand was my question like. Maybe people realised calves are the cheapest way into stock after all.
    Supply has decreased. The glut of shipping calves has gone by and from now on FR bull calves will make more than then previously, the same for suitable FRx bull calves.

Base price wrote: »
    Supply has decreased. The glut of shipping calves has gone by and from now on FR bull calves will make more than then previously, the same for suitable FRx bull calves.

Calves were a respectable price all spring and the supply was up on last year. My first year of the last 3 getting decent money for beef calves.

Cattle prices are going OK too and there's nothing like a bit of confidence to drive up price.

Is there any place online where total calf births and the number of calf exports are published?

• Advertisement
Advertisement