Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heifer that won’t let down milk

• 16-05-2021 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

We have a heifer here that calved last Thursday.The calving went ok but she won’t let down the milk in the parlor.There is milk dripping out of her when she comes in.We can draw milk out of her udder before milking but when we put the unit on her she will milk for a few seconds and then stop.No more milk.She is quiet in the parlor.Is it that she is nervous or something?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

edward901 wrote: »
    We have a heifer here that calved last Thursday.The calving went ok but she won’t let down the milk in the parlor.There is milk dripping out of her when she comes in.We can draw milk out of her udder before milking but when we put the unit on her she will milk for a few seconds and then stop.No more milk.She is quiet in the parlor.Is it that she is nervous or something?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

Could be a case of nerves alright, Talk to your vet, they'll probably prescribe oxytocin to promote milk let down. I have heard of guys giving estrumate for the same purpose but unsure of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

6cc of oxytocin. It be like you turned on a tap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have heard of people bringing her calf into the parlour beside her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Try bathing the udder with a cloth and warm water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Oxytocin would work but you don't want to use it too often or she won't ever let it down without it. Is the cluster on while she is still eating? Distraction of the nuts normally sorts em eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

If you put on cluster and nudge her udder (lightly) a few times I think it helps like a calf looking for a teat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭50HX

I thought oxytocin had to be given within a short time frame after calvirg for it to be effective

50HX wrote: »
    I thought oxytocin had to be given within a short time frame after calvirg for it to be effective

That's to aid passing the cleaning after a difficult calving, twins etc. Has to be within 2 hours I think otherwise it'll only help drop milk

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭edward901

Gave her 8cc of Oxytocin this evening a half an hour before milking. It worked very well. She hadn't a huge amount of milk but she left it down. Will give her another injection before milking in the morning. We will see how she gets on. Fingers crossed 🀞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I think you're only supposed to be giving 2ml and in 5 minutes of milking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Every parlour needs a bottle of oxytocin in my opinion. Might need to wean her off it, reduce dose over few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

pms7 wrote: »
    Every parlour needs a bottle of oxytocin in my opinion. Might need to wean her off it, reduce dose over few days.

Have never used it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have never used it here

Ditto

Don't use it for milk let down, only for difficult calvings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Mooooo wrote: »
    Don't use it for milk let down, only for difficult calvings

I’d use it to let down milk but only once.
    A bit like easy start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

How did she go since?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭edward901

She is letting down her milk at last without injecting her.Have to missage her dug and use warm water on her which helps.We were injecting her once a day for a few days to get her going.Hopefully no more injections will be required.Will keep with the massaging and the warm water.Its a work in progress.

Advertisement