Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Intrastat please

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I am very new to Intrastat, I hadn't even heard of it until I started my new job last month. My predecessor left no notes or guidance on how to file the return and I am slowly figuring it out. I have managed to enter the lines when the supplier/product is set up but I'm running into problems setting new ones up for both. The help button on it is quite useful but I can't have it open at the same time as I try to work on the problems I'm having with it.

When I go to add a new EU supplier to the list and I enter the VAT number (they're in Poland) I keep getting a message saying invalid format. There really isn't much help on the Revenue website, I have contacted the Intrastat department directly but they haven't replied yet. I'm getting really frustrated with the whole thing as I have to do March & April and just can't get my head around it at all.

I've tried to go into the view/amend section to see what my predecessor did but i can't open them at all.

I also can't figure out how to add a new product. Same issue, I can't get in to see what was done before to try to follow that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I crack up completely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You need training from your accounting package provider if there's no expert in your company to help. Intrastat is pretty difficult, it's digitally uploaded so has to be bang on. Which package are you using? It should be included in support package but specific training might be billable.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 spoiler

I think you need to download ROS offline and fill in the return there and upload it onto ROS. Go back to the Polish supplier and make sure the VAT number is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rachua

Thank you both for your replies.

The accounts package we use is Quickbooks and they can't help as it's issues on the Intrastat return itself (not being to set up new suppliers or products on ROS Offline itself) and not on the reports I pull from Quickbooks that I need help with.

The Polish VAT number is definitely correct.

I have emailed the Intrastat helpdesk several times but no reply to date, and the people on the other end of the telephone number provided for Intrastat don't actually know how to use it.

Thanks again for your replies, I was hoping someone who actually does them as part of their job might see it and be able to help.

Pretty annoying that my predecessor didn't leave any notes etc on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

The Intrastat helpdesk, like all Revenue phonelines, are poor and the staff on those are generally low level with no tax knowledge.

I recently started having to do Intrastat returns and they are a pain, but once setup not too bad. As you are preparing and submitting your own company's returns, you need to first setup PSI details on ROS offline. Then when creating the returns choose File Return (PSI). I'd have to look at it step by step after that because wouldn't have knowledge of each step after that in my head but if you run into any specific problems after that just let me know and I can check it out

Thank you for your reply! My main issues are setting up new suppliers and products. I keep getting the same 'invalid format' when I enter the vat no for the polish company, I have checked with them and the vat no is correct. It would be very helpful if I could actually get in to see suppliers already set up but nothing happens when I try the view/amend button. I need to submit amended returns for march and April now because they invoices just came in last week. I just started this job and no one here has a clue how my predecessor did them. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I actually got hold of someone in Revenue who explained exactly what I needed to do. It's a pity their online instructions aren't as easy to follow but hopefully I won't have any more issues going forward.

Again, thank you for your input, it was greatly appreciated.

Advertisement