Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mares tail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Jimfo1970 wrote: »
    It disappeared for a full year but back again. I am going to spray it again and will report back. Thanks

Where did you get the Kurtail?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jimfo1970

just do it wrote: »
    Where did you get the Kurail?

On e bay UK. Here it is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321441538549?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2661

The listing is closed but it may have being renewed. You can always contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Wonder do the dept of agriculture have anything on this because it seems to have got a hold since the real wet weather.

Anyone know if its ok for cattle and horses to eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

tipptom wrote: »
    Wonder do the dept of agriculture have anything on this because it seems to have got a hold since the real wet weather.

Anyone know if its ok for cattle and horses to eat?

Its on lists of plants poisonous to horses but not found what the toxicology is so no idea what it might or might not do to them. I'd be interested to hear of anything that actively eats any Equisetum spp.

Funny thing is my biggest fight with mares tail was in the UK on perfectly drained sandy soil, its roots feet down were however not short of moisture and the mares tails would often thrive when other established plants were dying of drought.

Start a business making organic pan scrubbers. Cut bunches of mares tail put a twist of wire or string (old copper wire is good) around the bunches trim them up and see how well they will scour a dirty pan. Read recently that they also contain Nicotine so if someone can invent some electronic device for smoking them then you might have an even better market.

Honestly I've been trying to get rid of them for so long I have to joke or break down and cry.

If they have gone mad this year then its a great opportunity to get out and spray them, I always reckon that Roundup is most effective on really difficult weeds if they can suck it down with them into the roots during the winter after a late August/September spraying. Reminds me I have half an acre of a neighbors Japanese Knotweed to tackle fairly soon - he'll never do and if someone doesn't do anything it will be my problem anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Jimbo789

Can Kurtail be purchased in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Weedkillers that contain 2.4.D will kill horsetail. Mortox 50 which is available in Ireland will kill it as I've used it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭monseiur

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Grazon Pro will kill mares tail, you may have to go at it two or three years to get all the dormant seedlings.
    If you want a complete kill of everything in one spray, grass and all, add some gloyphate weed killer - Roundup, Gallup or similar.
    Grazon Pro will not kill grass, it may stunt it's growth for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Worked in as a gardener in Holland years ago, was on a job where the owner of the garden was prepared to pay for us to dig out the mares tail "roots"

When I left to go to another site we had gone about 9ft and there was still roots at that level.

Advertisement