Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Brian? wrote: »
    It's only a problem for poultry, which you don't need to do a minion or fuse method. A whole chicken takes no more than 90 minutes, even the worst briquettes will burn for that amount of time.

Some briquettes have starting fuel soaked into them which is why you have to wait until they are grey. Other briquettes don't have this which is why the minion or snake method can be used. I always use the Weber briquettes which are not pre soaked in fuel.

I also had that problem with old briquettes I bought in ALDI and the food tasted rotten because they smoked, I assume they had soaked up some moisture over winter.

I switched to Webber briquettes about 4 years ago and have found them to be the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Some briquettes have starting fuel soaked into them which is why you have to wait until they are grey. Other briquettes don't have this which is why the minion or snake method can be used. I always use the Weber briquettes which are not pre soaked in fuel.

I also had that problem with old briquettes I bought in ALDI and the food tasted rotten because they smoked, I assume they had soaked up some moisture over winter.

I switched to Webber briquettes about 4 years ago and have found them to be the best.

Yep. No one should ever buy instant light charcoal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was in TJ O Mahoney in Prosperous earlier, they have Sahara bbq 's in stock. None to be got this time last year.

It's worth spending a bit extra on charcoal.

The weber charcoal for example burns hotter and longer than bags of stuff from the petrol station. if I'm grilling with the cheaper stuff I find I have to use more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I similarly had a weird sooty flavour from using cheap generic briquettes before.
    Used the Weber Charcoal briquettes last weekend for the first time on my Weber Smokey Mountain. A single load did a 7 hour beef chuck roast with enough left over to reignite it and do a chicken the next day. So definitely worth it in my opinion. No off flavours at all.
    It also burned generally hotter. I had to keep the vents nearly completely closed to keep it at 110c, whereas the other stuff I had them wide open and still had to keep regularly stoking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the Lidl bbq lighters are back. Got my usual two boxes for the summer this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

For anyone who has the Weber Master-Touch, did people buy a cover? If so, did ye go with the official Weber one or seek an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have an 57cm Original Kettle and this has been very good. Much heavier duty than the Weber own brand one. VAT to come of so about €15 if you have prime.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012VMKHCA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I have a master touch. I went with the official Weber cover at the time. It’s been fine so far but the bbq is in a shed over winter. I’m not sure how confident I’d be if it was wintering outdoors. It’s a fine cover but I’m not sure how long it’d last exposed to the elements.

That Amazon one looks the business alright. It’s also a hell of a lot easier on the pocket than the Weber one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Home Store & More do decent bbq covers as well, I had one of theirs on my master touch outside over winter and it did the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

chases0102 wrote: »
    For anyone who has the Weber Master-Touch, did people buy a cover? If so, did ye go with the official Weber one or seek an alternative?

Got this cover Bosmere Protector 6000 Storm Black Kettle BBQ Cover - Black, D700 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GGM41SS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SQ5JAFV13TAA3S86A191?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 last year, really happy with it, kettle was outside all year, cover held up really well

conor_ie wrote: »
    Home Store & More do decent bbq covers as well, I had one of theirs on my master touch outside over winter and it did the job

I’ve used B&Q covers in the past for about 10-15 euro depending on size and can’t fault them at all- limited stock in my branch recently though in terms of sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

I picked up a starter chimney in Supervalu today for €8 if anyone interested. They are a great way to light coals red hot in 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

Spent the day in the kitchen on Sunday making smoked pork belly Gua Bao. I made a rub for the pork belly with chinese 5 spice in it and threw it on the bbq for the day. To go with it a bbq sauce made with hoi sin sauce and gochujang, carrots and cucumber pickled in rice wine vinegar and steamed bao buns which were what took most of the day to make - might go for frozen ones next time!

The pork belly was really excellent - cooked away at 250F(ish) until it got to about 195F in the meaty part - about 6.5 hours for a 1.5lb piece of pork belly, it stalled at 170F for a bit. It was melt in the mouth - definitely one of my favourite cuts to barbecue but only the odd time as it's so rich. Leftovers today went into fried rice, as is often the case.

ZqJvoOBl.jpg

l168XQ4l.jpg

83ZrVnSl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

So ... for anyone who is interested..... Binchotan charcoal is now available in Ireland .. But Yikes.... the price.... :eek::eek::eek:
    https://greatnorthernlarder.com/collections/charcoal/products/kishu-white-hanmaru

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

laros wrote: »
    So ... for anyone who is interested..... Binchotan charcoal is now available in Ireland .. But Yikes.... the price.... :eek::eek::eek:
    https://greatnorthernlarder.com/collections/charcoal/products/kishu-white-hanmaru

Is that a joke?! Where are they going!!?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is that a joke?! Where are they going!!?

That has to be a typo surely???

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Looks good, doesn’t work

Be hard find a more conclusive 4 word review!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Looks good, doesn’t work

Cheers. Was tempted to purchase. Have you tried or is it just reviews?

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Cheers. Was tempted to purchase. Have you tried or is it just reviews?

Hi, I have a kettle bbq and I have a pizza oven. A friend of mind had one of these things and its poor.

The biggest difference between a pizza oven and a kettle (assuming you even could get a kettle bbq to pizza cooking temps with this gaping hole in it) is the fact that regardless of how many pizza gadgets you buy for it, a kettle bbq can’t provide the top flame which creates the beautiful leopard spotted neapolitan pizza crusts.

Will it cook pizza? Sure. Will it cook it well? Not at all. In fact I’d say you’d probably hold a better temperature by simply putting the lid on rather than using this yoke. Save the money and put it towards an Ooni or something.

Edit - I should say, if you’re after perfect pizza then don’t bother with this. If however you want the kids to have a bit of craic, then maybe its fun - and as you know, there’s no such thing as bad pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Iv seen this creeping in a lot. €400 for a bag of charcoal, €4,500 for an outdoor 6 seater ,€150 for an 18inch high acer tree in my local super valu(which I can get for €20 online). It seems that a business will chance their arm to get the highest possible, if somebody is willing to pay it, then there’s a market. Will this charcoal make your meat taste better or cook better? So is there value for money, or is it a case of somebody thinking it must be better if it’s 20 times the price of the other satisfactory brand.

That would be used for yakitori grilling I think

I say this with no experience with the stuff, but with absolute certainty, there’s absolutely no way you would even tell the difference between meat cooked on €400 charcoal vs that from the blue bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Anyone pick up any wood chunks recently either online or around South Dublin? Seem to be sold out most places. Looking for hickory and apple

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Anyone pick up any wood chunks recently either online or around South Dublin? Seem to be sold out most places. Looking for hickory and apple

I got some fairly recently from Great Northern Larder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

griffdaddy wrote:

Got some last week in goodwood fuels in Drogheda he had a great selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thanks guys, I'll take a look

Advertisement