Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop/Desktop

Options
  • 15-01-2021 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi guys, I’m sure this question has been asked a million times but I’m wondering what laptop/desktop should I get for starting out? I’m literally only going to be using it for small things and practice on and maybe down the line I’ll go and upgrade but as of now a budget of 500-600 euro. I’m using a standard laptop with fl studio but now I’m getting to the stage where there is too much going on and making funny noises when I load in too many plugins or vst. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you are only looking to do casual stuff, the laptop might be ok to keep up with. I'm using one, but I don't use FL myself. Does it have the option to "Freeze Tracks?" It's kinda like rendering your track to audio, so the CPU isn't being hit with doing the work on all the plugins you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

If you are only looking to do casual stuff, the laptop might be ok to keep up with. I'm using one, but I don't use FL myself. Does it have the option to "Freeze Tracks?" It's kinda like rendering your track to audio, so the CPU isn't being hit with doing the work on all the plugins you are using.

Thanks very much for your reply! Yeah I see a lot of people saying that online to free up the cpu. I’m only doing very basic stuff but my laptop is near 10 years old and after a few tracks added to it it’ll start going a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Desktop would be better really. Maybe keep your laptop for moving around but use a desktop for more intense work. If you want to get a laptop try and get one with a Ryzen 4xxx series CPU.

Anima wrote: »
    Desktop would be better really. Maybe keep your laptop for moving around but use a desktop for more intense work. If you want to get a laptop try and get one with a Ryzen 4xxx series CPU.

Yeah that’s a good idea. I seen a desktop with an I5 processor, 16gig ram and 256SSD so I might look further into that. Appreciate the help so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah that’s a good idea. I seen a desktop with an I5 processor, 16gig ram and 256SSD so I might look further into that. Appreciate the help so far

Budget for an extra HDD.

• Advertisement

Budget for an extra HDD.

Yeah it has a 1Tb hdd. It’s a gaming PC but I think it can work well for starting off with the whole recording thing! If I get bored of it I can fire up a few games hah! Thanks for your reply, appreciate it!

Advertisement