Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will our degrees change when DIT becomes TUD?

Options
  • 22-08-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Just wondering what happens to us graduates when DIT changes its name to TUD.

I would even prefer to have the name change reflected on my degree as the coveted 'U' reflects better abroad. But besides that I'd rather not hang up a degree from a college with a defunct name, it would look dated or even fake.

I was wondering if TUD will offer graduates the ability to have their degrees reprinted with the new name? Has there been any word from the college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

You were not educated at TUD were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Your degree stays exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Its the name of the college where I was educated. DIT is becoming TUD?

Edit: after TUD is created, will DIT still exist and hand out DIT degrees?

Its the name of the college where I was educated. DIT is becoming TUD?
    Yep. It is. Your degree was awarded by DIT though.

You could always invest in a bottle of tippex if it bothers you that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I would even prefer to have the name change reflected on my degree as the coveted 'U' reflects better abroad. But besides that I'd rather not hang up a degree from a college with a defunct name, it would look dated or even fake.

If you wanted a "U" why didnt you study at a "U" - not too late, plenty of distance learning courses from "U"'s out there!

Absolutely no one will notice or care about the name of your college on your degree.

Its not going to look dated or fake.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    If you wanted a "U" why didnt you study at a "U" - not too late, plenty of distance learning courses from "U"'s out there!

I actually am doing a distance learning LLM with KCL! So I missed the U again haha

I was just thinking that my degree says DIT and if DIT ceases to exist it will become even more worthless than it is now! Sure it's not even worth the tippex investment.

I actually am doing a distance learning LLM with KCL! So I missed the U again haha

I was just thinking that my degree says DIT and if DIT ceases to exist it will become even more worthless than it is now! Sure it's not even worth the tippex investment.

KCL is part of UoL so youre alright there.

Why do you think a DIT degree is worthless?

KCL is part of UoL so youre alright there.

Why do you think a DIT degree is worthless?

As much as I enjoyed studying in DIT it's not respected at all in my field (Law). When I was going into the milkrounds, I graduated 1st in my class, all my FE1s completed, legal work experience etc ... 0 interviews.

I'm halfway through a LLM from KCL and I got 6 interviews and 2 offers from big firms in the next milkrounds.

Ah - did you not do the research before starting there?

Its a long time ago now since my primary degree but we all knew what degree was most respected in the industries we were interested in when we were applying to CAO.

Ah - did you not do the research before starting there?

I don't know why you're trying to 'catch me out' with some 'a ha' moment. There's no point holding decisions I made as a teenager over my head like you got me. It's not even relevant to my original question.

My question has already been answered. The KCL degree goes up on the wall. The DIT one into the dustbin!

• Advertisement

I don't know why you're trying to 'catch me out' with some 'a ha' moment. There's no point holding decisions I made as a teenager over my head like you got me. It's not even relevant to my original question.

My question has already been answered. The KCL degree goes up on the wall. The DIT one into the dustbin!

Your original question is whether or not it can be reprinted with the new name.

Changing the name of the college isnt going to give the degree any more respectability.

And expensive life lesson but a worthwhile one - do the research first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's says on the TUD website that it should be officially designated in Jan 2019, and they "expect the first graduates of the new University will be conferred with their awards in 2019.".

I assume here that they are speaking of "normal" graduates completing their final exams next May. However in my case (part time student), I completed my final exams this year but we have a final semester to focus on a project. My graduation ceremony will be in Feb'19.

Anyone have any idea what my parchment will say? Seems to be cutting it close to the official designation, assuming no delays.

DITUD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Lol hanging a degree on a wall.
    I didn't even hang my University of American Samoa law degree on a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

endacl wrote: »
    DITUD

TURD

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As much as I enjoyed studying in DIT it's not respected at all in my field (Law). When I was going into the milkrounds, I graduated 1st in my class, all my FE1s completed, legal work experience etc ... 0 interviews.

So if DIT is not respected in your field (in your words), what difference is a change of name going to make?
    I'm halfway through a LLM from KCL and I got 6 interviews and 2 offers from big firms in the next milkrounds.

Are you seriously comparing Kings College London with DIT? According to the THE rankings, KCL is rated 36th in the world. You are not comparing like with like.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So if DIT is not respected in your field (in your words), what difference is a change of name going to make?

DIT isn't respected purely because of the perception some in my field have for the college. The college itself is great. Good facilities, great lecturers and a big new campus, 30,000 students.. It's more than deserving of respect but some fields still think they need the U. The U will help in my field because some of the old guard, as soon as they hear University of ... (insert anything here) they relax.

It will also help me if I practice law abroad. America for example requires a "university common law degree" for the states I am looking at.

DIT obviously feels the same way as it worked very hard to get the U into it's name. Trinity also said that without the U they were having problems internationally convincing foreign students to come over. Thats what kickstarted that whole 'rebranding' phase a few years back.

Comparing KCL to DIT is unfair, but my friends all did DCU, Maynooth, UCD etc and achieved similar results. I don't even think my KCL exams are marked any harder than my DIT ones but it'll all perception and having a "good brand" on your CV.

EDIT: For the record, weighing everything up, if I went back in time I would probably still pick DIT. I had a great time and the only nitpick I had was it's name, which I felt didn't properly reflect the college - which has now been fixed.

Advertisement