Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link Deco M5 Gigabit Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Pack - £102.21 Delivered (£

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Higher than the original deal but the M5 is reduced on Amazon UK to £149 for the 3 pack or £99 for the 2.

The M4 is showing at £110 for the 3, but wondering if it's worth pulling trigger on the M5 2 pack for £99 instead or paying the extra for the 3

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Yeah, it has 2x gigabit ports on it.

But WiFi wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yeah, it has 2x gigabit ports on it.

Just because it has gigabit ports doesn't mean it's got hardware capable of handling gigabit NAT or anything close to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Just because it has gigabit ports doesn't mean it's got hardware capable of handling gigabit NAT or anything close to it
    Would 95% of users even need that??? Honestly?

But WiFi wise?

Gigabit Wifi is an impossibility in domestic wifi. I'm getting a solid 400-500mb via speed tests over Wifi on this with devices that have AC Wifi radios.

Most websites won't let you download their pages at 400-500mb, so it's only useful if you're a serial downloader or stream multiple 4K services simultaneously.

• Advertisement

Would 95% of users even need that??? Honestly?

No residential household needs gigabit but it's pointless ordering the gigabit package if the hardware you buy can't handle it anyway

No residential household needs gigabit but it's pointless ordering the gigabit package if the hardware you buy can't handle it anyway

Personally, I have the 500mb Siro package from Vodafone. It's their cheapest Siro package, one of the cheapest broadband services on the island full stop, and very reliable from my experience. And works brilliantly with these TP-Link M4s. What's more to say really?

And I'm not talking about wireless speeds, I'm taking about wired NAT. I wouldn't buy these to replace the provider issued router to expect gigabit wired speeds just because they have gigabit ports

And I'm not talking about wireless speeds, I'm taking about wired NAT. I wouldn't buy these to replace the provider issued router to expect gigabit wired speeds just because they have gigabit ports

Ok but you brought up the NAT conversation. As I said, the average consumer of domestic broadband from an ISP isn't concerned with gigabit NAT. Generally people just want decent Wifi with minimal blackspots.

Ok but you brought up the NAT conversation. As I said, the average consumer of domestic broadband from an ISP isn't concerned with gigabit NAT. Generally people just want decent Wifi with minimal blackspots.

Go to the FTTH threads, there's constant complaints of not getting the full gigabit speed. Nobody needs gigabit residential, but there are plenty that want it, and they'll do hourly speedtests to make sure they're getting it, even if there isn't a hope of them ever using it!

Buying these with a gigabit package would be okay if you just want to run them in AP mode, but doing this will lose lots of the extra bells and whistles features. Using these as your router could possibly give you drastic drops in wired speed on a gigabit package, because they most likely are not up to the job of gigabit NAT.
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2399/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

TP-Link Deco M4 3 Pack is now down to £94.99. (lowest price yet on Amazon AFAIK)

Bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

evostik wrote: »
    TP-Link Deco M4 3 Pack is now down to £94.99. (lowest price yet on Amazon AFAIK)

Thanks - Just pushed the button on this - Won't be here until late September but can wait.
    Hopefully I can get rid of my eir router that I have currently on FTTH.

Does anyone know the settings for Eir similar to what was posted for Vodafone previously ?

You just need to configure the main Deco upon setup as PPPOE.

Use these settings:

Username: [SERIALNUMBEROFVODAFONEROUTER]@vfieftth.ie
    Password: broadband
    VLANID (custom): 10

Example of username is below (similar to my own but with random numbers put in)

E1909CM123456789@vfieftth.ie

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

[PHP][/PHP]
    5500 wrote: »
    Higher than the original deal but the M5 is reduced on Amazon UK to £149 for the 3 pack or £99 for the 2.

The M4 is showing at £110 for the 3, but wondering if it's worth pulling trigger on the M5 2 pack for £99 instead or paying the extra for the 3

I went with the M5 3 pack and they're due Friday. Hopefully the setup is easy enough. What I am wondering does one of units just replace the Fritz box I have or does it get plugged into the Fritz and sit beside it ?

I installed the deco m5 3 pack in my long bungalow yesterday.
    Very impressed,should have bought them ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Has anyone noticed the M5 get very hot

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It gets pretty warm alright.

Received my M4 3 pack today. Managed to get it on Amazon for £95 thanks to evostik for posting.
    I have Eir FTTH and this was the easiest set up ever and it replaces the F2000 that Eir supplies which is problematic.
    Would highly recommend getting these if the price drops again.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

My setup is different as there is no landline BB in my area and I use a 4g mobile broadband from VF. Luckily it works fine for netflix etc, I can get 20mbps most of the time.

My query is that I was looking at getting the S4 (3pk) as it is on a deal at the moment but can one of the devices be used as a router instead of the VF one. Was thinking of setting up a vpn service on the router but should I use a seperate router for that?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

These devices rely on the internet connection being sent into it via an ethernet cable, and the distributed out along a new network.

The vodafone device would be needed, as there aren't any sim card slots on the mesh devices. Does the vodafone modem / dongle / whatever have an ethernet port? If not, it wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭nc6000

Tweaky wrote: »
    Received my M4 3 pack today. Managed to get it on Amazon for £95 thanks to evostik for posting.
    I have Eir FTTH and this was the easiest set up ever and it replaces the F2000 that Eir supplies which is problematic.
    Would highly recommend getting these if the price drops again.

Same setup as I have, did you switch off the WiFi on the F2000 once you had the M4 up and running?

nc6000 wrote: »
    Same setup as I have, did you switch off the WiFi on the F2000 once you had the M4 up and running?

I removed the F2000 totally - I plugged the cable from the ONT straight into the back of the M4 . I then went through the set up and there was an option with no router and you just set up VLAN with an ID of 10 and it worked. The F2000 is back in its box.

I went with the M4s and using sky Bb but just making sure I've it set right, main deco plugged in via cat6 to the sky router and I disabled WiFi on the sky router settings, is that all I need to do or any other tweaks?

I went with the M4s and using sky Bb but just making sure I've it set right, main deco plugged in via cat6 to the sky router and I disabled WiFi on the sky router settings, is that all I need to do or any other tweaks?

That should do it generally.

I don't know if the Sky modem supports bridge mode, but for the average user what you've done is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

That should do it generally.

I don't know if the Sky modem supports bridge mode, but for the average user what you've done is grand.

I have the M4 three pack and for the past three weeks, once each week, the main Deco goes offline. Anyone else have similar issue? Cheers

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

bidiots wrote: »
    I have the M4 three pack and for the past three weeks, once each week, the main Deco goes offline. Anyone else have similar issue? Cheers

I’ve have these set up since mid July and I haven’t had a single dropout or any issue since.

bidiots wrote: »

Yep I've had this happen to me almost daily, main unit seems to go down for a few mins then back up. All units software up to date and no settings messed with on the m4

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’m using the VM hub in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Yep I've had this happen to me almost daily, main unit seems to go down for a few mins then back up. All units software up to date and no settings messed with on the m4

Daily? not good so. Do you need to power on/off or does it reset itself?
    Did you swap the main unit with a satelite unit to test?
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2400/
    That will be my next move I’d say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you turn off WiFi and DHCP on main router and change deco to DHCP in the regular 192.168.1.xxx, is there any issue? Orig modem would be set to 192.168.1.1 as fixed ip.

Advertisement