Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keogh Sacked by Derby

• 30-10-2019 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Keogh's been sacked by Derby:
    Richard Keogh has been left distraught after Derby sacked him on Wednesday. The club captain sustained serious knee ligament injuries when he was in the car that his teammate Tom Lawrence crashed into a lamppost after a boozy night out on 24 September.

Keogh, 33, has had surgery and is expected to be out for 12-14 months, giving him a return date of the end of next year. His contract, under which he was paid £24,000 a week, was set to expire in June 2020

Career possibly over and out of 24000 grand a week. Will miss the Euro's if we get there. He's paid a heavy, heavy price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Need to make way for Rooneys wages

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

At his age Keogh should have known better than to get wasted and get into the car that night, but it's a bit odd that the passenger in a car crash who got badly injured in said crash gets sacked, while the two drunk drivers who caused the crash and then fled the scene continue to be employed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

a bit harsh that the other lads only got 6 week fines. If only he was younger/not injured and of some value to Derby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At his age Keogh should have known better than to get wasted and get into the car that night, but it's a bit odd that the passenger in a car crash who got badly injured in said crash gets sacked, while the two drunk drivers who caused the crash and then fled the scene continue to be employed.
    180 hours community service each and fined 6 weeks wages. He was the club captain and higher standards apply there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's the author of his own misfortune, but it does seem like a cynical move by Derby to save some cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

is_that_so wrote: »
    180 hours community service each and fined 6 weeks wages. He was the club captain and higher standards apply there.

That's not a standard that would be accepted as fair due process in any employment tribunal Mr Keogh cares to take the matter to though.

Whilst he may be out 24k a week for now, its only a temporary issue.
    Awful way for his career to finish, but extremely poor employee handling by Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Very harsh given that the actual perpetrators got a relative slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Court case there I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Bit cynical of Derby not to help with his medical recovery, even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

banie01 wrote: »
    That's not a standard that would be accepted as fair due process in any employment tribunal Mr Keogh cares to take the matter to though.

Awful way for his career to finish, but extremely poor employee handling by Derby.
    For sure. I doubt it will get that far. I'd expect a settlement in advance if he does go the legal route. That he was instrumental in his own long-term injury will go against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Bit cynical of Derby not to help with his medical recovery, even.

Is they any possible recourse, what did he actually do wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Should have been 3 players getting the sack

No question Keogh's hefty salary and age profile compared to the Lawrence & Bennett's younger/cheaper/re-sale value is the motive behind Derby's decision. It will be interesting to how the PFA respond to this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

As a Derby County fan I think this is a load of Boll###s..
    Total double standard, stupid getting in the car but still....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is they any possible recourse, what did he actually do wrong?

Interesting question in a sense. He's been fired for gross misconduct but since he wasn't driving cn it be classed as that. The fact that the two drivers were not sacked must play in his favour I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If he came out of it uninjured he would still be employed. This isn't some moral stand from the club because of what he did or because he's a senior player/captain etc. He's now worthless to them and they likely have a legal reason to get rid without paying him.

For sure. I doubt it will get that far. I'd expect a settlement in advance if he does go the legal route. That he was instrumental in his own long-term injury will go against him.

Oh it will be settled with the contract paid out in full I'd expect.
    His being instrumental in his injury won't count against him at a tribunal however.
    If it went to court, he may lose a portion of any award as per contributory negligence split.
    But Derby sacking him, when he wasn't driving, was a passenger is a poor reflection on their own advice IMO.
    He could argue impaired decision making and honest mistake in assuming the driver was fit to drive as a result of Keogh's own intoxication.
    Derby also could be found to have a duty of care should any history of alcohol abuse be raised, that they seem to have completely disregarded with the sacking.
    Unless of course there are incidents of such support not disclosed and this sacking is the result of cumulative and documented issues that the other players were not party too.

All 3 behaved terribly and deserved sanction.

But 1 employee's stupidity meant he can no longer perform his job. I can see why an employer would axe him and keep the other 2. It's not a.judgement of the morality of the act, it's a business decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

His contract is up 6 months before hes due back and hes probably finished given his age. He was also club captain and should know better. It's clear why they've treated him differently to 2 actual assets.

All 3 behaved terribly and deserved sanction.

But 1 employee's stupidity meant he can no longer perform his job. I can see why an employer would axe him and keep the other 2. It's not a.judgement of the morality of the act, it's a business decision.

I do see your point, and I know you have experience of the law.
    It's not a decision I'd see as being enforceable by Derby without cost tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The self serving shoite from the club about values beggars belief..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fromvert wrote: »
    If he came out of it uninjured he would still be employed. This isn't some moral stand from the club because of what he did or because he's a senior player/captain etc. He's now worthless to them and they likely have a legal reason to get rid without paying him.

Can't see that standing up... Derby might have had some leg to stand on had they treated all three equally..

Is there no criminal case pending against these two drunk drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He will get his contract fully paid up.

Derby should have released a statement saying "Bennet and Lawrence have Market Value, Keogh does not""

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

The club is a joke at the moment..embarrassing on and off the pitch..Keogh has been shafted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He will probably claim against the drivers insurance to cover his medical bills.

So along with his contract being paid out he won't be out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He will probably claim against the drivers insurance to cover his medical bills.

So along with his contract being paid out he won't be out of pocket.

Where did it say they paid out his contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm sure Derby took legal advice before actioning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

banie01 wrote: »

I'd imagine he'll be suing Derby and the PFA will also get involved. Poor stuff from Derby County. Clear and obvious preferential treatment towards they younger more valuable players in the incident.

Shows you how brazenly ruthless football is and why players should never be "loyal" to a club, especially not to a crap middle Englander club like Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lawred2 wrote: »
    The self serving shoite from the club about values beggars belief..

Hope they’re relegated. Double standards club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'm sure Derby took legal advice before actioning this.

And I’m sure it’s absolutely ludicrous advice?! In an alternate universe if Keogh escaped without a scratch he’d be out on that pitch collecting his wage.
    He’s been sacked because of his injury and that won’t fly.

This ‘gross misconduct’ line they’re peddling as reason for his sacking is the hilarious part. An intoxicated passenger he was the lads who actually drunk drove, crashed (into each other?!), causing Keogh serious harm, fled the bleedin scene?!...get 6 weeks wage fine.

What’s going on at Derby at all?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,786 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truth but given the circumstances the same punishment plus the removal of the captaincy would have been proportionate all things considered.

I think it doesn’t really embody fairness that the punishments are so unbalanced.

Advertisement